[Interest Check] Marvel Heroic Roleplay: The Authority

Started by The Great Triangle, July 07, 2012, 09:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Heritage

Cool digs. Best I could dig up on the MW site was links to their web store.

Could you go into what you want to do with the game, Triangle?
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

AKunoichi

So there's no limit to how many powers i can take? It's balanced by other factors?

Cold Heritage

It doesn't really matter how many you have, because there's a limit on how many you can use at a time and a hard limit as to the size of the dice used to measure potency. You could have those green blasts Starfire had in the cartoon, and I could have a sharpened toothbrush, and there's nothing stopping me from having my sharpened toothbrush from having the same die rating as those green blasts.

That's how this game has the Sentry and Hawkeye in the same party.

AKunoichi

Quote from: Cold Heritage on July 08, 2012, 02:01:22 AM
It doesn't really matter how many you have, because there's a limit on how many you can use at a time and a hard limit as to the size of the dice used to measure potency. You could have those green blasts Starfire had in the cartoon, and I could have a sharpened toothbrush, and there's nothing stopping me from having my sharpened toothbrush from having the same die rating as those green blasts.

That's how this game has the Sentry and Hawkeye in the same party.

What about the size of the dice though. Wont a character with all 12s beat somebody with all 6s?

Cold Heritage

Even the Sentry doesn't have all d12s (he's close, all d10s), and there is no one with all d6s. It's very rare for characters to have d6 powers and it's saved for things like Invisible Woman's flight or Iron Man's rockets - and even then they have higher rated powers that they can employ first to accomplish anything they could with those.

AKunoichi

But is there any mechanical drawback to bigger dice? Or is it just up to discretion? I don't think I'd make somebody who's totaly OP, but I'm curious.

Cold Heritage

In a general sense, I don't know of any. There are specific times where it's something of a risk - the Sentry has a special effect where he can double the size of a given die, but if he fails on the action he uses that die for, a die of equal size goes into the Doom Pool.

The Great Triangle and peer pressure are the only things that could stop you from having all d12s in your powers.

AKunoichi

I downloaded the book and skimming through It I see you normally only pick the two highest of your dice most of the time anyways.

Cold Heritage

Like I said, a limit on how many you can use at a time.

AribethAmkiir

From what I'm reading this system looks pretty cool.  Though the terminology is something else.  All in all, it seems like a pretty complete system.  Still trying to understand the way the system figures out effect die.

Also, as for having all d12s you're unlikely to roll 1s which are opportunity die and if the Watcher (GM) buys those from you you get PP (Plot points) which allow you to use SFX (basically powers) such as Invulnerability or something else.  My understanding is without PP you're unable to activate any type of power which puts the character at a disadvantage.

AKunoichi

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on July 08, 2012, 02:53:27 AM
From what I'm reading this system looks pretty cool.  Though the terminology is something else.  All in all, it seems like a pretty complete system.  Still trying to understand the way the system figures out effect die.

Also, as for having all d12s you're unlikely to roll 1s which our opportunity die and if the Watcher (GM) buys those from you you get PP (Plot points) which allow you to use SFX (basically powers) such as Invulnerability or something else.  My understanding is without PP you're unable to activate any type of power which puts the character at a disadvantage.

Oh that's another good point.

Anyways, here's my attempt at picking out powers.

Powerset: Alien body
Superhuman Stamina d8
Enhanced Strength d8
Superhuman Durability d10

Powerset: Light Projection
Attack power (Solar Blast) d10
Elemental Supremacy (light) d12

Powerset: Lightspeed
Movement (Spaceflight) d12
Intangibility (transparent objects only) d6

Not quite sure I like this layout though, Can I take the same power twice in two diffrent sets at different levels? I want her to be able to fly normally as well as turning into photons for lightspeed flight. With her using the former more often because the latter drains her energy massively.

Cold Heritage

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on July 08, 2012, 02:53:27 AM

Also, as for having all d12s you're unlikely to roll 1s which are opportunity die and if the Watcher (GM) buys those from you you get PP (Plot points) which allow you to use SFX (basically powers) such as Invulnerability or something else. My understanding is without PP you're unable to activate any type of power which puts the character at a disadvantage.

With the effect die, you choose it from your pool. It's any die that doesn't show up 1, and you didn't use towards your total. The thing that's tricky is that with the effect die, the number result doesn't determine how good an effect you have, it's the number of sides on it - if you want a big effect, you pick a d8 over a d6, even if the d8 turned up 2 and the d6 turned up 5. This is one way it would be advantageous to have all d12s - you're always guaranteed to make waves.

There's a few other ways to get PP too, so you aren't reliant on getting your 1s bought off. Characters with a lot of Limits to their power sets have a lot of options to get PP in exchange for unfavourable consequences befalling them, in addition to the few common options available to all players.

With powers, there's something of a need to be precise in terms and I haven't observed that - you can use Power Traits without needing PP, but it's the SFX that may need a PP to trigger (and not all of them do - Area Attack, for example, doesn't require a PP).

AndyZ

If we need a way to create characters which are balanced against each other, I've been working on a system for it using the XP system in the book.  However, if we're just going to have catch-as-catch-can, that's fine by me also.

My dad has a copy of the Authority comic and I've asked to borrow it so I can read up.  Until then, I'm going on the basic understanding of solving all the world's problems and usurping corrupt governments, things like that.

I like the ship.  I'm definitely big on team communication, and since only one member of the team having teleportation can cause problems, it's definitely beneficial to have our home base be able to handle it.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can't have more than two Power Sets, although our ship would apparently count as a third.  I may be wrong on that.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Muse

Say, Triangle, do you have room for another?  I have the book in question.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

AndyZ

Quote from: AK47 on July 08, 2012, 02:54:49 AM
Not quite sure I like this layout though, Can I take the same power twice in two diffrent sets at different levels? I want her to be able to fly normally as well as turning into photons for lightspeed flight. With her using the former more often because the latter drains her energy massively.

I don't think there's anything stopping you from doing so.  You'll just want to get a Limit for the turning into Photons.  I imagine it'd be the Exhausted Limit for when you completely use it all up.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Primarch

Like Muse, I'd also be interested in taking part & I have the book.

AndyZ

Lengthy details will have to wait for later, but my basic concept is as follows:

Centuries ago, when the last Sorceress-Queen was forced into a negotiation table against some sort of cthtonic entity in order to keep the world from being destroyed during their battles, the arrangement made was that one of her descendants, the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter, would become the next Sorceress-Queen.  Since she was not able to see beyond time, though, they tricked her because her own daughters would have no interest in popping out seven children.  Thus, by the time the next Sorceress-Queen was born, the world would be in quite a sorry state from humans being left to their own devices for so long.

It still needs a little work, but that's the basic idea.

Going with the name Skyshard.  Her first name is Noelle, but no one knows her last name.

Affiliations: Solo d8, Buddy d6, Team d10

Distinctions: Sorceress-Queen (Need to come up with the other two)

Powers: I need to figure out names for the sets

Attack Blast d10
Subsonic Flight d8
Shapeshifting d8
Sorcery Supremacy d12
SFX: Boost
Limit: Exhausted

Superhuman Reflexes d10
Superhuman Senses d10
SFX: Second Chance
Limit: Uncontrollable

Specialties:

Acrobatic Expert d8
Combat Expert d8
Covert Expert d8
Mystic Master d10
Psych Expert d8

Still needs some work, but that's what I'm looking at.

The Great Triangle

In terms of plot, I'm basically going to be following the Authority Volume 1, much like Breakout follows New Avengers;

As for the downsides of being massively powerful, the biggest cost is that you draw attention to yourself, and cause more damage; in the authority, Midnighter is one of the weaker team members, yet often solves problems because he can go where others can't.

Commenting on power sets, I'll discuss them when I have time.

Finally, for the number of players, the Authority has seven members, so that's the capacity of the game.   Generally, you'll be split into 2-3 teams, since the mobility of the Authority means they very rarely have to all be in the same place.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

AndyZ

By the way, part of Skyshard's thing is that she has shapeshifting, and I totally expect that to come into play during sexual stuff.  She's got a sexual preference for females, but I can easily imagine her going female, male, or even futa sometimes, depending on her mood.  Would this be a problem for anyone?

A big part of how it will come up in game is that a shapeshifter can be an exceptional spy.  She can keep tabs on various governments simply by assuming the identity of someone else, and she's probably already taken down enough despots using this method that tyrants will know that they have to clean up their act if they don't want to end up at the mercy of the next regime.

AribethAmkiir

As long as it doesn't turn into bestiality, Andy, I have no problem with that.  If it does, I'll likely not read those scenes or participate in them.  :P

AKunoichi

Code name: Sunflare (Original character do not steal :P)

Affiliations:
  • Buddy d10
  • Team d8
  • Solo d6
Distinctions:
  • Disposed Alien Princess
  • Emissary of the Stars
  • Naked Glory

Alien Body
  • Superhuman Durability d10
  • Superhuman Stamina d10
  • Superhuman Strength d10
  • Flight d10
  • Superhuman senses: Electromagnetic sense d10

Energy Projection
  • Attack powers: Blast d10
  • Elemental Control: Light d12

Photonic form

• Spaceflight d12
  • Intangibility: transparent objects only d6

Origin Story:
Sunflare is from a race that long ago learned how to communicate with the alien sentience inside of every star. Beings of pure energy, the star gods are some of the oldest creatures in the universe. The Star gods granted Sunflare's race with the ability to absorb solar radiation as energy, giving them superior strength and durability as long as they remained exposed to sunlight. They also granted the highest caste in this society the ability to act as avatars of the sun's power, emitting blasts of plasma, flying, or converting themselves into a phonetic state where they can travel at light speed or vanquish there enemies with blinding light. The Royal family wields this power, but also the responsibility to protect all life which is touched by the sun, However Sunflare's sister abused her power and brought disaster to there planet. In Penance Sunflare was exiled to earth, where she took up her duties to redeem her family name.

Still under construction, I need to figure out SFX and Limits. As well as all the other junk, but here's what i have so far.

AndyZ

Wow, didn't even realize d8 Shapeshifting could do animal form.  But no, not unless specifically requested, and probably not even then.

The Great Triangle

Quote from: AK47 on July 08, 2012, 02:54:49 AM
Oh that's another good point.

Anyways, here's my attempt at picking out powers.

Powerset: Alien body

Powerset: Lightspeed
Movement (Spaceflight) d12
Intangibility (transparent objects only) d6

For your character, I'd say you need only two powersets, with the mutually exclusive limit, so here's what they would look like combined:  (I'm going to choose "Apollonian" as the preliminary name of your character's alien race.)

Apollonian Physiology

Superhuman Stamina d10, Superhuman Strength d10, Superhuman Durability d10, Solar Blast d10, Supersonic Flight d10, Light Supremacy d12

sfx: Area Attack: Against multiple targets, add 1d6 and keep an extra effect die for each target beyond the first.

sfx: Boost: Shutdown an Apollonian Physiology power to step up or double another power for one roll.  Recover during a transition scene by sunbathing.

sfx: Multipower: Use two or more Apollonian physiology powers in a single die roll; step down each die by -1 step for each die you add beyond the first.

sfx: Versatile: You may add Light Supremacy to a die pool as 2d10 or 3d8, rather than 1d12.

limit: Solar Powered: Step down all of your Apollonian Physiology powers by -1 step to gain 1PP.  Recover during a transition scene by sunbathing or by taking successful action against the doom pool.

limit: Nudist: Gain 1PP to add one of your Apollonian Physiology powers as a complication to an opponent's dice pool when your nudity hinders you.

Lightspeed Body Dynamics

Lightspeed Teleportation d12, Intangibility d12

sfx: Invulnerable; After making a reaction roll including Lightspeed Body Dynamics powers, add 1d6 to the doom pool to ignore physical stress, trauma, or complications unless caused by a darkness or antimatter based source.

limit: Incredibly Draining: If you include lightspeed body dynamics powers in a pool that also includes Apollonian Physiology powers, step back all of your Apollonian Physiology powers by -1 step.  Recover during a transition scene by sunbathing.

limit: Peak Performance: Shutdown Lightspeed Body Dynamics to gain 1PP.  Recover by taking action against the doom pool or at the begining of an Act.

Quote from: AndyZ on July 08, 2012, 09:47:52 AM
Lengthy details will have to wait for later, but my basic concept is as follows:

Centuries ago, when the last Sorceress-Queen was forced into a negotiation table against some sort of cthtonic entity in order to keep the world from being destroyed during their battles, the arrangement made was that one of her descendants, the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter, would become the next Sorceress-Queen.  Since she was not able to see beyond time, though, they tricked her because her own daughters would have no interest in popping out seven children.  Thus, by the time the next Sorceress-Queen was born, the world would be in quite a sorry state from humans being left to their own devices for so long.

It still needs a little work, but that's the basic idea.

Going with the name Skyshard.  Her first name is Noelle, but no one knows her last name.

Affiliations: Solo d8, Buddy d6, Team d10

Distinctions: Sorceress-Queen (Need to come up with the other two)

Powers: I need to figure out names for the sets

Attack Blast d10
Subsonic Flight d8
Shapeshifting d8
Sorcery Supremacy d12
Limit: Exhausted

Superhuman Reflexes d10
Superhuman Senses d10

Specialties:

Acrobatic Expert d8
Combat Expert d8
Covert Expert d8
Mystic Master d10
Psych Expert d8

Still needs some work, but that's what I'm looking at.

I think these powersets could use a bit of revision, but that's mostly because it seems you're shooting for a Dr. Strange level of power, rather than an Authority level.  I think it's alright to keep your character at Dr. Strange level, of course, but lets try and tweak your powersets to make you into a better spy/mystic type.

Queen of the Mystic Realms

Mystic Blast d10, Superhuman Durability d10 (this power makes more sense in your sorcery powerset), Supersonic Flight d10 (if you're going to have flight above d6, you might as well put it at the level of the rest of your powers), Shapeshifting d10 (if you're going to be genderbending, d10 makes sense, and it makes all of your secondary spells d12 stepped down once), Supreme Sorcery d12

SFX: Area attack (Every member of the Authority except Midnighter has Area Attack, so if you have any excuse at all to have it, you should take it.)

SFX: Invulnerability (Call it mystic shield, but since you're likely to go solo it's a pretty good idea.)

SFX: A thousand faces: Add 1d6 and step up your effect die by 1 when creating disguise based assets.

Limit: The Extent of Sorcery: Supreme Sorcery may only be used to create or destroy assets and complications.  (Essentially just reminder text for sorcery, but it makes your powers last longer than exhausted would.)

The powerset probably needs one or two additional sfx or limits, but we can eyeball that later.  An emotion based limit to step up stress would be a good way of getting plot points.

Caul of Infinity

Godlike Senses d12

To me, this second powerset represents a powerful precognitive ability, messages from the future, and other such mystical claptrap.  In my experience, uncontrollable doesn't work unless every power in the powerset is irreplacable, which is why I decided to ditch the superhuman reflexes.  Knocking down the senses to d10 might be smart if you don't want the limit to hurt so much, and the Versatile sfx would be perfectly called for.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

caelcormac

I would also like to throw my hat in on this, I've been dying to give MHR a spin. Are there any niches people would like to see filled on the team or is it all up in the air still at this point?

AKunoichi

Quote from: The Great Triangle on July 08, 2012, 02:18:36 PM
For your character, I'd say you need only two powersets, with the mutually exclusive limit, so here's what they would look like combined:  (I'm going to choose "Apollonian" as the preliminary name of your character's alien race.)

SNIP wall of text SNIP

All that works well. Although I'd also like the ability to perceive the entire electromagnetic spectrum and other types of solar radiation. This would also allow her to hear the "voice" of the sun.

As for the Sun's personality? I'm imagining it being mostly an abstract alien entity that thinks and acts on a much higher scale. More of a religion than anything, But sometimes it could give her orders.

Perhaps that could be another powerset with the limit that she has to obey it's bidding?

Also, Specialties, Acrobatic Expert, Combat Expert, Cosmic Master, Mystic Expert.
This is easier because she's not that informed on earth things, but She probably knows a lot about the universe.

I just need milestones now. It's so much easier to do that when you are working from an existing character.