News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Harassment By Proxy

Started by Autumn Sativus, June 12, 2009, 10:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autumn Sativus

Relating to the announcement posted earlier, just for those of us who don't speak the language - what exactly does this entail?
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Trieste

Sending a message through another person. Like if I was harrassing you, and you told me to stop, then I started goading Desan into delivering messages for me.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/proxy

proxy Listen to the pronunciation of proxy
Pronunciation:
    \ˈpräk-sē\
Function:
    noun
Inflected Form(s):
    plural prox·ies
Etymology:
    Middle English proxi, procucie, contraction of procuracie, from Anglo-French, from Medieval Latin procuratia, alteration of Latin procuratio procuration
Date:
    15th century

1: the agency, function, or office of a deputy who acts as a substitute for another
2 a: authority or power to act for another b: a document giving such authority ; specifically : a power of attorney authorizing a specified person to vote corporate stock
3: a person authorized to act for another : procurator

Vekseid

There's a policy we engage in here wherein one user can ask to break off all contact with another (by copying staff on a message sent to the other party), and we enforce that - attempting to circumvent it or defeat the purpose - from either party - counts as a violation.

Using another person - or taking it upon yourself to be the that person - is a well-known and well-worn (as in, we are tired of it) cause of drama, so it needed to be made explicit.

Autumn Sativus

Alright, thanks. I know there's also the internet proxy server thingy whatever, so I wasn't sure. ^^
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Xillen

Quote from: Saffron on June 12, 2009, 10:54:05 PM
Alright, thanks. I know there's also the internet proxy server thingy whatever, so I wasn't sure. ^^

That's the same principle, but then with computers instead of humans.

Basically, you talk to a proxy server, and that proxy server then talks to the actual webserver you'd like to visit, and passes the info back to you.

Oniya

So I guess spam emails and popups would be harassment by proxy in both senses ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17