Deception: Murdered in Hong Kong Game Thread

Started by Galactic Druid, January 04, 2016, 10:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Druid

Forensic Scientist: Persephone325

Clues in Play:

Clue #1: Cause of Death - Suffocation, Severe Injury, Loss of Blood, Illness/Disease, Poisoning, Accident
Clue #2: Location of Crime - Playground, Classroom, Dormitory, Cafeteria, Elevator, Toilet
Clue #3: Evidence Left Behind - Natural, Artistic, Written, Synthetic, Personal, Unrelated
Clue #4: Noticed By Bystander - Sudden Sound, Prolongued Sound, Smell, Visual, Action, Nothing
Clue #5: Sudden Incident - Power Failure, Fire, Conflict, Loss of Valuables, Scream, Nothing
Clue #6: Victim's Expression - Peaceful, Struggling, Frightened, In Pain, Blank, Angry

Player: Yugi006
Guess Used:
Means of Murder Cards: Powder Drug, Metal Wire, Pillow, Sculpture

Key Evidence Cards: Pocket Watch, Surveillance Camera, Exam Paper, Hourglass

Player: Strangefate
Guess Used:
Means of Murder Cards: Poisonous Gas, Scarf, Electric Current, Plastic Bag

Key Evidence Cards: Test Tube, Iron, Maze, Cassette Tape

Player: Remiel

Means of Murder Cards: Sniper, Illegal Drug, Drill, Liquid Drug

Key Evidence Cards: Seasoning, Skull, Push Pin, Soft Drink

Player: Assassini
Guess Used:
Means of Murder Cards: Mercury, Drown, Chainsaw, Boxcutter

Key Evidence Cards: Jacket, Snacks, Dice, Spring

Player: Blythe
Guess Used:
Means of Murder Cards: Alcohol (The image on this card shows something like rubbing alcohol, though it IS up to the murderer's/investigator's interpretation), Kerosene, Machete, Hammer

Key Evidence Cards: ID Card, Certificate, Internet Cable, Table Lamp

Player:Madame Professor
Guess Used:
Means of Murder Cards:Wire, Razor Blade, Whip, Bamboo Tip

Key Evidence Cards: Coffee, Menu, Playing Cards, Tie

Player: BAMF
Guess Used:
Means of Murder Cards: Wrench, Surgery, Bite and Tear, Wine

Key Evidence Cards: Badge, Comics, Video Camera, Leather Shoe

Player: Verasaille
Guess Used:
Means of Murder Cards: Trophy, Push, Folding Chair, Radiation

Key Evidence Cards: Numbers, Dictionary, Banknote (Odd translation there, it's cash), Switch

Player: James Moriarty

Means of Murder Cards: Blender, Towel, Venemous Snake, Chemicals

Key Evidence Cards: Note, Bullet, Timber, Cat

Player: Derwaysh

Means of Murder Cards: Poisonous Needle, Machine, Cleaver, Unarmed

Key Evidence Cards: Lens, Mirror, Steamed Buns, Dentures

Player: Red Pheonix

Means of Murder Cards: Ice Skates, Locked Room, Sulfuric Acid, Arsenic

Key Evidence Cards: Safety Pin, Wig, Confidential Letter, Map
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Galactic Druid

Roles are sent out, once I get confirmation from the murderer as to their selections, the game will begin, at which point I will only be able to talk when giving clues as the scientist, or to give gameplay answers in the interest thread/ooc.

Galactic Druid

I'm putting out the first clue, so no more chatter from me until the round is wrapped up.

Board: Location of Crime - Options: Vacation House, Park, Supermarket, School, Woods, Bank.

This crime took place in the Woods

The game has begun, feel free to discuss!

Strangefate

So the idea is the murder weapon should fit the locale right?  With just Woods to go on the most likely would seem to be Machete or Stone (James), Axe (yugi), Bites & Tears (Versaille), Dirty Water or Venomous Snake (me  :o ).  Maybe an argument could be made for Trowel (Madame P) fitting the Woods setting as well.  And I’m not sure if something like Rope (Assassini) or Pistol (persphone) can be used anywhere as those don’t seem very locale specific to me.

I don’t feel like any of the Evidence we hold really says Woods though, maybe Apple (Verasaille), but none of the other items so much. I don’t think the Forensic Scientist would give us Woods as the first clue unless it’s supposed to help narrow things down… and it barely helps at all with Evidence, so I feel like it’s probably Murder weapons we should be considering.  I am leaning a little towards Axe, Stone, or Bites & Tears presently as those are the first ones that leap out at me as fitting the Woods setting.  Without knowing the means of death it's hard to go much further with that though.
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Remiel

Welp, I don't think that narrows it down very much.  Although it's interesting (to me, anyway) that Reginald picked the Woods instead of the Park or Vacation House. 

Possible murderers:
Yugi006 (axe, blood release*)
Strangefate (dismemberment, dirty water*, venomous snake)
Remiel (venomous scorpion)
Assassini (rope*)
Kythia (drowning, whip*)
Madame Professor (radiation*, fish hook)
BAMF -- none of their clues make sense so I am eliminating BAMF as a suspect
Verasaille (bites and tears)
James Moriarty (stone, machete)
persephone325 (scarf, pistol*)

*anything with an asterisk is a bit of a stretch, but I am including it just to be thorough.

Galactic Druid

I am putting out my second clue.

Cause of Death - Options: Suffocation, Severe Injury, Loss of Blood, Illness/Disease, Poisoning, Accident

The victim died of Loss of Blood.

persephone325

Killed in the woods from loss of blood.

Yugi - Axe, Ice Skates, Blood Release
Strangefate - Dismemberment
Remi - Machinery (?)
Assassini - Drill
James - Machete
Persephone - Cleaver, Pistol

I have no idea what "machinery" means, but it invoked scenes of bloodshed in my head. The two things that stick out for me are "blood release" and DEFINITELY "dismemberment".
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Remiel

So that leaves us with

Yugi006 (axe, ice skates, blood release)
Kythia (whip*)
Madame Professor (fish hook)
James Moriarty (machete)
persephone325 (pistol*)

Wow.  That narrowed, very quickly.

persephone -- good point about the ice skates.  Including that in.  Although I think that Dismemberment would qualify as "severe injury" or "accident", and I dunno what a drill or a cleaver would be doing in the woods.

Assassini

Quote from: Remiel on January 05, 2016, 01:26:01 PM
Welp, I don't think that narrows it down very much.  Although it's interesting (to me, anyway) that Reginald picked the Woods instead of the Park or Vacation House.

Possible murderers:
Yugi006 (axe, blood release*)
Strangefate (dismemberment, dirty water*, venomous snake)
Remiel (venomous scorpion)
Assassini (rope*)
Kythia (drowning, whip*)
Madame Professor (radiation*, fish hook)
BAMF -- none of their clues make sense so I am eliminating BAMF as a suspect
James Moriarty (stone, machete)
persephone325 (scarf, pistol*)

*anything with an asterisk is a bit of a stretch, but I am including it just to be thorough.

That is something I picked up on as well. It's not just a random "outside" place but it actually might be somewhere more we associate with Woods than just the great outdoors in general.

For that reason I think that we might be able to exclude some of the slightly more supposedly "obvious" ones. I mean, just as an example, it might be plausible to ignore things like Kythia's drowning and JM's stone because while they are associated with outdoorsy places, they don't immediately conjure "woods" to my mind. That might be grasping at straws though, but I think there could be some line of reasoning we could follow here.

Now, I was going to say that BAMF's Unarmed Assault is totally plausible in the Woods. I mean, it's not exactly something one associates with Woods specifically over the others, but it IS vague enough that it could be used anywhere. So I thought we couldn't completely rule her out... That was until TRPG just revealed clue 2.

Now, I would say, given that we are looking at Blood Loss as the Cause of Death, it does make being beaten to death a lot less likely. So maybe it is safe to rule out BAMF completely, although I mean... It IS possible I guess that she could have done it, but it's not exactly the first thing which comes to mind. I'd also actually like to suggest that this means you maybe ought to be able to rule me out as a suspect. Unless anyone wants to focus on my having a Drill, I don't really see any way I could make someone bleed to death with a bat, a rope or a folding chair!

Kythia

I'd lose machete personally. Strikes me as a serious injury not a loss of blood.

persephone325

What exactly does "blood release" mean? I've never heard of it before. Is that like the old time blood-letting?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Galactic Druid

GM note; Yeah, that ones a bit odd, and poorly translated. The picture on the card helps for it. They are referring to blood letting.

On that same note, there's a frw other items that definately have a different meaning than they would outside China. For example, "powdered drug" pretty much means one thing in the U.S., but could refer to any number of things like crushed ginseng you might get from a traditional apothecary.

Strangefate

I’m leaning Bites & Tears at the moment.  Definitely fits the Woods and death would likely be from blood loss in that case.  Axe and Machete seem like more immediate causes of death, but still quite possible.  Dismemberment is possible too (well, theoretically, but as the card holder I know better) yet I feel like Woods and Blood Loss aren’t really cards that naturally lead us there as with Bites & Tears, Machete, or Axe.  Blood Release fits death by blood loss, but isn’t really something you think of when you think Woods is it?
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

yugi006

I think the pistol might be it as a shot from a pistol can cause blood loss.

As for Bites and Tears it could be it but none of the Key Evidence Cards that Verasaille has really fits with the woods except for maybe the cigarette butt.

The machete could be something to look at as James has tissue as one of the Key Evidence Cards.

None of the Evidence Cards I have would really fit with being in the woods though.

BAMF

Wow, you guys have been busy. Glad to see I've been ruled out though. ;D I don't particularly have anything to add, though. You guys have pretty well narrowed it down as far as which weapon did the do. The only thing I might say is we should keep an eye out for anyone sharing anything that feels off or not quite right, as we do have an accomplice somewhere.

And my pronouns are he/him, please.   :-X
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

persephone325

If we just look at Key Evidence cards, we could possibly rule out:
Yugi
Madame Professor
BAMF

If we just look at Means of Murder cards, we could possibly rule out:
Remi
Assassani
Kythia
Madame Professor
BAMF

Which would just leave:
Strangefate
James
Persephone

I know I'm not the murderer, but that doesn't mean much right now. I feel like it would be safe to say that Madame Professor and BAMF are most likely not the murderers.

That's my standing. At least for now.
I don't know.

Madame Professor

Quote from: persephone325 on January 05, 2016, 01:43:22 PM
I have no idea what "machinery" means, but it invoked scenes of bloodshed in my head. The two things that stick out for me are "blood release" and DEFINITELY "dismemberment".

Machinery is one of those vague cards that makes me wanna groan. It's vagueness can be so wildly interrupted... It could be anything from a wood chipper to a sewing machine.  >:(

Currently, I'm leaning a bit with Strangefate here. Bites and Tears definitely has the Woods feel. I agree that BAMF is looking heavily in the clear, too. I had to google trowel before I could say for sure ( :-[ ), but none of his Means really fit.  Loss of Blood suggests something that could stab/slice/penetrate, and while a Trowel could do the job... I think Park would have made more sense for that. Right now, I think the strongest contenders are the Bites and Tears, Axe, and Machete. I'm not ruling out the Pistol though, either, since guns and woods and blood loss go hand in hand for me.

But I also think the Ice Skates was a very clever catch, Sephie!
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

yugi006

Remember to check out the Key Evidence Cards as a lot of them just don't seem to fit.

persephone325

Quote from: Madame Professor on January 05, 2016, 04:41:38 PM
Machinery is one of those vague cards that makes me wanna groan. It's vagueness can be so wildly interrupted... It could be anything from a wood chipper to a sewing machine.  >:(

Currently, I'm leaning a bit with Strangefate here. Bites and Tears definitely has the Woods feel. I agree that BAMF is looking heavily in the clear, too. I had to google trowel before I could say for sure ( :-[ ), but none of his Means really fit.  Loss of Blood suggests something that could stab/slice/penetrate, and while a Trowel could do the job... I think Park would have made more sense for that. Right now, I think the strongest contenders are the Bites and Tears, Axe, and Machete. I'm not ruling out the Pistol though, either, since guns and woods and blood loss go hand in hand for me.

But I also think the Ice Skates was a very clever catch, Sephie!

lol I was like "Machinery? WTF?"

I think the reason why I mentioned the ice skates was because I watch a lot of horror movies. I saw the remake of Black Christmas a few years ago, and the killer threw a pair of ice skates at one girl and they got lodged in the back of her head and she died.

The inner CSI in me looked at almost all the weapons and thought "Use any of these in a certain way, and it could definitely cause loss of blood."

For example; using a drill in just the right way, you can definitely penetrate a major artery/vein and cause the victim to bleed to death from it. Or, if it's sharp enough, the fish hook can be used to slice someone's throat. The trowel, again it depends on if it's got a sharp or pointed edge, could be used to stab someone.

But, I digress. lol
I don't know.

BAMF

Unsure if Perse is digressing or if she's just giving us reason to believe she's the murderer. ;D (I jest, I'm fairly sure you're not, but it had to be said.)
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

persephone325

Quote from: BAMF on January 05, 2016, 05:37:30 PM
Unsure if Perse is digressing or if she's just giving us reason to believe she's the murderer. ;D (I jest, I'm fairly sure you're not, but it had to be said.)

lmao Good point. :P That's why I keep listing myself in the suspect pool. If I take myself out, it only looks more suspicious on me.
I don't know.

Galactic Druid

GM Note; The Cause of death and location cards will always be played in a round. The remaining cards are drawn randomly, 4 from a deck of 21. They won't be the same every game.

State of the Scene Options: Bits and Pieces, Ashes, Water Stain, Cracked, Disorderly, Tidy

The selection I'm going with is Water Stain

Verasaille

This is an interesting game. I am not sure I am following all of this correctly. We can all just discuss the clues and then one of us can guess?

By the way things look, the location is the Woods. So we are looking at someone who might have access or need of that location. The means of death is loss of blood. Not accident or dismemberment, which would be something sudden. So a weapon need not be something sharp, it could be internal? You can bleed to death from a ruptured ulcer in an hour. So a hard enough blow to the head could cause bleeding in the skull, or a broken nose can cause you to bleed into your throat and even drown in your own blood. So a blunt instrument need not be ruled out.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

James Moriarty

Woods, Loss of Blood, Water Stain.  Let me see if I am thinking about this right.

Yugi:  Axe or ice skates could do the trick, but the key evidence cards a big stretch.  He's right out.

Remiel:  Maybe machinery?  But no, nothing fitting woods.  Eliminated.

Assassini:  Drill could be ok, though Woods is a stretch.  Nothing in key evidence matches and nothing about water stain.  Eliminated.

Kythia:  Wrench... eh.  Eliminated.

Madame Professor:  Er... fish hook?  But that's not Woods related, maybe water stain?  I'm not even sure fish hook would be "blood loss" -- I'm leaning towards eliminated.

BAMF:  Trowel... hm.  Not seeing Woods or Water stain.  Eliminated.

Verasaille:  Uhhhh.  Eliminated?  What could cause blood loss here?

Me:  Machete or wire perhaps, maybe ash hints at Woods?  Nothing really water related.  Possibly not eliminated.

persephone325:  Cleaver or maybe pistol.  Sunglasses might hint at water (beach?).  Or maybe drama mask?  (tears)  This might be promising.  Not eliminated.

Heh, not looking great for me, though I know I'm not the murderer.  So I am currently watching for clues that call out persephone325.

Am I reasoning about this roughly correctly as far as the rules go?

BAMF

Before Persephone presented the option, I had been thinking the fishing hook looked ... possible? Though it would be quite a stretch. With the ice skate as an option for a pond skating or something...the fish hook could also fit the woods in terms of a fishing pond. Again, it'd be a stretch because it is not a very large weapon to cause loss of blood. But like Perse says, the correct placement (notably the jugular) would lead to blood loss of a rapid nature.

A bracelet or a watch could be left behind at nearly any scene.

JM's willingness to accept that it doesn't look great for him worries me. Could he be an accomplice & hoping to attract attention away from our murderer?
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«