Kobold Game set up and full, thanks!

Started by Quinz128, March 04, 2016, 05:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxfyr

Chulanowa

So, I'm eyeballing a gunslinger (not 100% yet, anotherp art of me wants to try an occult class or somethign weird), so it demands asking - what's the technology level of the game?

Foxfyr

Early flintlock weaponry is rare and almost exclusively used by pirates due to the risk and unreliability that comes with misfires.

ragarth

Wooo! Writer's block overcome!

Image:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Name: Tilde (tilsin'rayair)
Class: Transmutation Wizard (Enhancement)
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Character Concept: Curious and opportunistic kobold researcher who became a pirate as a chance to learn more from the metal invaders.

Appearance: Tilde is a scrawny little kobold whose crimson scales shimmer with a slight iridescence. It's clear she takes care polishing her charcoal horns, giving them a manicured shine akin to obsidian and using them to bias the lithe little lizard's aquamarine blue eyes. A set of sturdy brown explorer's robes snug tightly to her sensitive scales while an implement laden bandoleer runs from shoulder to hip, acting as a strap for her leather satchel. The little kobold's leather belt also sees storage use, holding her belt pouch, dagger and scroll box while her feet are wrapped in sturdy leather foot wraps.

Personality: Her curiosity will be this kobolds down fall--She's been known to tail curl at the opportunity to explore new territory and experience new things. She's excitable and given to exuberance bordering on thoughtlessness, though when crunch comes she prefers to go into a situation with a well thought out plan than to rush head long into a situation. She's very conscientious of her appearance, keeping her horns polished and scales supple, even if her time while not doing fieldwork is most often spent in the lab.

Brief Bio: Tilde is a crimson kobold of the Qanescir warren. She was just a young hatchling when the metal monsters invaded, but stories of her tribe's guile and superiority tickled her curiosity and stoked a fire for adventure in her belly... as well as a taste for human flesh. That obsession carried Tilde through her formative years; dedication (and a few hapless hatchery peers) helping her foment a talent for transmutation that garnered her an apprenticeship as one of the researchers studying the artifacts the metal invaders left. Upon completion of the great ships that would take the Qanescir tribe to the open seas, Tilde jumped at the first chance to join a mission and set sail to find new artifacts, new knowledge, and new food. Tilde is a researcher by profession, taking pride in using her mind to serve the warren.

Clearly I'm taking profession: science or something like that.

Trait-wise I'm torn between taking the really great looking Transmuter, or possibly pragmatic activator. I've never really had much of a use for UMD, but it fits with her profession. I don't have the skill points to spare on it though *and* its not a class skill. D:

Chulanowa

Also, in case anyone wants, here's a tublr blog packed with kobolds: http://a-kobold-irl.tumblr.com

Including our mascot!

ragarth

Hee, we don't have a kobold crit-fisher yet. Those things are evil.

Sad that profession skills are wisdom. It doesn't make sense  that a science profession uses wisdom instead of intelligence. D:

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: ragarth on April 17, 2016, 09:51:55 PM

Sad that profession skills are wisdom. It doesn't make sense  that a science profession uses wisdom instead of intelligence. D:

Kobold swashbuckler. That's pretty much what it is, yes. Complete with crit-fishing tackle once you get to level 5.

I should have her up tonight or early tomorrow.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Quinz128

Quote from: ragarth on April 17, 2016, 09:51:55 PM

Profession is the ability to use knowledge for applications in ways to profit. Just having scientific knowledge would be knowledge skills. Physics would fall under engineering. Biology under nature, etc.

ragarth

Quote from: Quinz128 on April 18, 2016, 04:43:28 AM
Profession is the ability to use knowledge for applications in ways to profit. Just having scientific knowledge would be knowledge skills. Physics would fall under engineering. Biology under nature, etc.

That's not how I read the skill.

QuoteProfession skill represents an aptitude in a vocation requiring a broader range of less specific knowledge.

In this case, the profession skill represents aptitude in using the tools of the trade and skill in thinking out that type of problem. Being a researcher is more than knowing rote facts or the ability to dig up rote facts. It's a system of thinking.

Knowledge skills don't give the ability to use a microscope. Profession: SCIENCE! does.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

I'm sort of waffling on whether to go Mouser or vanilla Swashbuckler at this point, and a lot of it has to do with party composition.

If there are 2+ other melee-types, Mouser is exceedingly effective. If there aren't, vanilla will contribute more both in abilities and damage. At this point, I'm not sure what Muse and Chula are playing...Or Quinz, who has submitted three different sheets. Makes it hard to think in terms of party composition.

Muse asked about firearms, and got told that they are "almost exclusively used by pirates." The kobolds have salvaged a ship, but I'm not entirely sure if that's okaying Muse for a Gunslinger or not, which is what the focus of Muse's question was, because the initial campaign post said "Pathfinder (anything in the SRD aside from psionics, firearms, and 3rd party stuff)."

I'm not trying to give Muse a hard time here, the answer seemed vague to me and I am trying to sort out whether I need to make a more DPS-y Mouser Swasher or a potentially tanky (and oddly, more reliable DPS) vanilla Swasher.

To put it on the plate: Mouser sacrifices the always-useful Parry & Riposte auto-attack ability which can be used against as many attacking enemies as she has AoOs for a situational (we won't always be fighting medium+ sized creatures) nasty set of disads applied to a single target + automatic flanking bonus for everyone adjacent. It also sacrifices a practically always-on damage bonus for a potential mid-combat pickpocketing trick (not so enthusiastic, but could potentially be handy against casters). Sure, at 7th level the Mouser gains a swift-action dirty trick, but this is a 4th level game!

IN OTHER NEWS:
Ss'Kala Firedancer now has a not-identical twin sister, K'Shala Stormdancer. And yes, they get along like fire and water (K'Shala manifests signs of blue dragon heritage)... Both hatched from the same over-large egg (egg-twinning does happen in reptiles and birds...Most of the time you get two dead chicks, some of the time you get one strong chick that destroys the other...But you do occasionally get two chicks). Where Ss'Kala is the epitome of the kobold who looks out for her own, K'Shala is probably the most conniving reptile anyone knows, always ready to wheedle an easy ride for some later favor and a vicious trickster when it comes to a fight. There's a fair bit of sibling rivalry and occasional bickering, but when the chips are down no-one can remember a time that they didn't come to each other's aid.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

ragarth

CarnivalOfTheGoat,
I'm having some challenges with Tilde as well. In total I have 13 points sunk into knowledge skills. I'm also trying to decide on picking up a drawback so I can buff Performance: Exotic Dancing.

FoxFyr:
Given my character's profession of researcher. What's your opinion, should I take UMD or does that seem like a spurious connection to you? I basically never take UMD so it'd be pretty much all character flaire for me.

And also on skills. Would profession:Sailor be a reasonable sub for climb checks on ship riggings and rope, but not on other surfaces?

ALso to note: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/goblin-pirate

Yesssssss.. if only that weren't a dirty goblin thing.

Foxfyr

Ah, right. That character build information was recycled from another game I ran a while back. Since then, I've had some experience with firearm classes and am comfortable enough to include them. So yes, a gunslinger is fine.

It wouldn't hurt to put one rank in UMD, I'm sure there will be occasion where it can come in handy. As for profession:sailor, yes, it can be used in lieu of climbing and acrobatics skills when it comes to maneuvering and staying balanced with ship related stuff.

ragarth

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 18, 2016, 07:44:48 PM
Ah, right. That character build information was recycled from another game I ran a while back. Since then, I've had some experience with firearm classes and am comfortable enough to include them. So yes, a gunslinger is fine.

It wouldn't hurt to put one rank in UMD, I'm sure there will be occasion where it can come in handy. As for profession:sailor, yes, it can be used in lieu of climbing and acrobatics skills when it comes to maneuvering and staying balanced with ship related stuff.

Hmm. It feels like I'm spreading my skills a little thin, I need to trim some fat from my skills. I've already decided I'll need to shore up climbing and swimming with magic. Assuming you allow drawbacks, this is what I'm looking at right now (subject to change):

Traits:
[drawback] Cruelty: Penalties for not executing the helpless and dying. (This just sounded too fun not to take)
[magic]  pragmatic activator: Intelligence for UMD
[racial] Smoke Resistant: Can see through non-magic smoke, +5 fort saves vs smoke
[social] Savant: +2 performance: Exotic dancing and its a class skill

skills (8, 32pts):
0 profession: Sailor (headband)
4 profession: SCIENCE!
4 performance: Exotic Dancing*
2 use magic device
1 perception*
4 stealth
4 spellcraft
4 kn:arcana
9 1pt in every other knowledge

feats:
craft wondrous items
kobold confidence

Quinz128

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 18, 2016, 05:05:37 PM
[...]
Or Quinz, who has submitted three different sheets. Makes it hard to think in terms of party composition.
[...]

I have the three I'd want to play in decending preference. Just wanted to let you know. I'll fill the 1) Frontline Combatant/Face, 2) Skillmonkey/Stealthy-punk or 3)Skillmonkey/Ranged combatant depending on what needs to be done and what people would prefer. I'm always good at filling. My preference is just playing a kobold, also, why I made this thread. So I'm fine with changing WHICH kobold I play.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Quinz128 on April 18, 2016, 09:03:07 PM
I have the three I'd want to play in decending preference. Just wanted to let you know. I'll fill the 1) Frontline Combatant/Face, 2) Skillmonkey/Stealthy-punk or 3)Skillmonkey/Ranged combatant depending on what needs to be done and what people would prefer. I'm always good at filling. My preference is just playing a kobold, also, why I made this thread. So I'm fine with crhanging WHICH kobold I play.

If you need to free up skill points, my character is very high charisma and I'd already focused traits to improve her social skills... particularly useful because swashbucklers use intimidate and taunts in combat.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Quinz128

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 18, 2016, 09:21:11 PM
If you need to free up skill points, my character is very high charisma and I'd already focused traits to improve her social skills... particularly useful because swashbucklers use intimidate and taunts in combat.

Not necessary. Thanks to how PF handles class skills I feel comfortable spreading some. Not to mention favored class bonus choices help. I feel Gynnezz's concept is fine. Ryzzyl may be spread thin a bit, but Kirrok has so many skill points it doesn't matter for him.

Also: Question for our Illustrious GM. I noticed on my sheets I just rounded up for the HPs that had a half-point. Should I have rounded up or rounded down? (Example, Gynnezz is 38 because I did 10+8+8+8+4(Con/Lvl) because (3/4*10=7.5) should it have been 7 or 8 for levels 2, 3 and 4?

TheGlyphstone

I'm very disappointed to learn this thread is not a recruiting request for Kobolds Ate My Babies. :'(

Chulanowa

I had an idea for a diatryma-riding kobold ranger. But that won't work so much on a boat. Then I thought, hey Shaman... well, we have a Wizard and oracle, oof. Crazy idea: Donk the Fauxbold (lizardman) Barbarian... don't think that would work.

Quinz128

Quote from: Chulanowa on April 19, 2016, 12:31:08 AM
I had an idea for a diatryma-riding kobold ranger. But that won't work so much on a boat. Then I thought, hey Shaman... well, we have a Wizard and oracle, oof. Crazy idea: Donk the Fauxbold (lizardman) Barbarian... don't think that would work.

Why not just make a proper Kobold Barbarian? I was considering that for Gynnezz, at first, before getting a concrete idea for her. Barbarian Kobolds can be terrifying dervishes of death.

Also: A note to all, Corrected some numbers on my sheets and added equipment for Ryzzyl. He also has his trusty Animal Companion Kiksyl the Giant Weasel set to go and armored up. And once she grows to medium, so going to be a mount for him. xD

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 18, 2016, 11:39:23 PM
I'm very disappointed to learn this thread is not a recruiting request for Kobolds Ate My Babies. :'(

That's an awesome game.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Muse

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 17, 2016, 04:14:08 AM
That disclaimer stated, it'll be great to have you aboard Muse. :)

HIp hip huzzah!  :)  Thank you. 

Well, I had no idea anyone had adressed my question about gunslingers...  ^_^;;  I had allready moved on to being torn between an alchemist and a ranger...  But I could be a kobold musket master...  Oh the decisions... 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ragarth

Hmm. My opposition schools were abjuration and enchantment, but now that I decided to take exotic dancing I'm tempted to swap enchantment for evocation. But evocation has some decent long range anti-ship spells. Oh the decisions!

I could go universalist and take a heady power cut, but gain another feat. I dunno if it's worth it though. D:

Foxfyr

Quote from: Quinz128 on April 18, 2016, 11:25:59 PM
Also: Question for our Illustrious GM. I noticed on my sheets I just rounded up for the HPs that had a half-point. Should I have rounded up or rounded down? (Example, Gynnezz is 38 because I did 10+8+8+8+4(Con/Lvl) because (3/4*10=7.5) should it have been 7 or 8 for levels 2, 3 and 4?

Hit Points: Max first die, ¾ (round up) for the following 3 levels.

Quote from: Muse on April 19, 2016, 07:37:33 AM
Well, I had no idea anyone had adressed my question about gunslingers...  ^_^;;  I had allready moved on to being torn between an alchemist and a ranger...  But I could be a kobold musket master...  Oh the decisions...

Gunslinger is fine for this campaign.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Did we settle on whether we were doing Medium or Fast experience (IMHO Fast works better in a PbP setting, unless you never want to see anyone level up)?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Foxfyr