Phone calls between characters

Started by Haibane, July 10, 2012, 03:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haibane

Hi all

A little technical question that has got me and my co-players thinking. If in a multi-thread group game character A in thread 1 makes a phone call to character B in thread 2, how would you, as a GM, handle that in terms of posting etiquette/procedure?

Where do people post?
Would you have parts of posts quoted?
Would you set up a separate thread?
Should a character 'leave' his thread and 'appear' in his callee's thread?

Any other thoughts?

Thufir Hawat

How about posting what he says in both threads, but the other PC only posting in his or her own? Usually, anyone near him shouldn't be able to hear the conversation.
Granted, people in the other thread could read what he says when the characters shouldn't be able to hear it, but he can spoilerblock it for their convenience.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

HockeyGod

We did this in a Star Trek game (communications). Basically the rule was:

Post the original conversation in the thread where the character is.

Post a quote of the post in the thread where the character being called is.

Haibane

Thanks.

We are using character avatars and headers (location, who with, etc) in the posts, so its not really logical to use these to head up a post in another thread as that implies the character is physically there.

A character 'appearing' in a different geographical location all of a sudden looks odd.

As GM I have asked the players to have their characters "stay" in their respective threads but highlight that a phone conversation is in progress by means of prodding the other player via a PM or an OOC note.

The other player can then quote the spoken dialogue of the caller.

I'll see if that works.

Endorphin

I know this post is a little late, though for what it's worth, I'd be inclined to hook up a private one-off session (via thread, PM, chat, whatever) where I'd conduct the conversation before copying and pasting the contents into the relevant threads.
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

Haibane

Yes, a bit late ;)

I covered this in the way I described. The phone call was no more than a one-liner as it turned out and could have been covered by a text.

Setting up something via PMs would have taken far too long and broken the posting pace and I don't like creating threads for such a minor purpose when thread count is limited in a group RP.

Thanks for the ideas anyway.

Adonis

The easiest way I've found to do cross thread communication was to create a new thread. I know in the X-men game I GM'd a long while back, the staff were constantly emailing back and forth, and it made it a royal pain in the ass to follow cross-thread. So there was simply a new thread for digital communication to take place, and each player linked to that specific posting session in each post in their respective threads.
You can't change who people are at their core. You can only love them for what they've given you.
O/O's
Current Muse Status: Overdriiiive

Chrystal

That seems similar to my (twice) failed cyberpunk mercenary game "Iron Fist", where I created a Cyberspace thread. All electronic activity then took place in that thread.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!