News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Fear is great if all ya wanna do is shoot some people. The bullet time is pretty nice, especially when used with grenades. The story is definitely creepy, but it could have been handled a little better.

Hemingway

Well, I'm sort of looking for something horror-ish right now. I was debating getting Clive Barker's Jericho, despite the reviews being pretty lukewarm. But then I came across FEAR 2, and I've already considered it once, so ... yeah.

The one thing I'm really curious about is whether it's the type of game that's actually creepy, or if it just relies on having things jump out of dark corners. I remember Doom 3 being a lot like that. It got old so fast that before the demo was over, monsters jumping out of dark places didn't even make me jump anymore.

Oniya

Someone around here made comment about a game called Amnesia, the Dark Descent.  Supposedly very scary.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wyrd

just got fable 3! :D Can't to try it out!
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Quote from: Oniya on November 17, 2010, 09:16:45 PM
Someone around here made comment about a game called Amnesia, the Dark Descent.  Supposedly very scary.

I've mentioned it around here. I tried it. It's too scary.

It sounds great and ... well, I tried the demo and it I'd love to play it, but man! It's not enough that the atmosphere is creepy as can be, but the main character is constantly whimpering, occasionally curls up and cowers for no reason, his vision sways ... all without anything really going on, except for being in a creepy dark castle. And that's before you even run into any monsters. Monsters that will, in true Lovecraftian fashion, drive you insane just by looking at them.

Sabby

Fear 2 isn't genuinely scary, but the plot itself is messed up. If a naked emaciated woman killing soldiers with mind fuckery in a dark blood drenched hospital is your idea of 'messed up', definitely get it.

Jeno Veritas

Playing old games, "Heavenly Sword" and "Prince of Persia - Forgotten Sands"
[tr][td]
O/O[/td][td]
A/A[/td][td]StoryTeller's Cafe[/td][td]Want to be a mentor?
[/td][td]
HP?[/td][/tr][/table]

Sabby

Those aren't old games, they are bastardized recent imitations of older, actually good games xD

Jeno Veritas

That could be true, I prefer H.s. though. Pop - Forgotten Sands is a little clanky.
[tr][td]
O/O[/td][td]
A/A[/td][td]StoryTeller's Cafe[/td][td]Want to be a mentor?
[/td][td]
HP?[/td][/tr][/table]

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on November 17, 2010, 09:30:51 PM
Fear 2 isn't genuinely scary, but the plot itself is messed up. If a naked emaciated woman killing soldiers with mind fuckery in a dark blood drenched hospital is your idea of 'messed up', definitely get it.

I do like the sound of that, actually.

And Sabby, you have got to be the most bitter gamer of all time. When was the last time you played a modern game you actually liked? xD

Edit: I was gonna get FEAR 2, but as I was about to search for it on Steam, something caught my eye ... I hit back to see what it was, and ... I don't believe it! Out of fucking nowhere, the Witcher 2! Holy balls, I loved the Witcher!

Edit 2: *relieved sigh.* They just got the release date wrong. It says November 2010, but it doesn't actually release this month, so I can still get FEAR2. Woo?

Inkidu

I might get Witcher 2 if it comes out for console which they're saying it will. I'm no longer PC gaming. It's a sinking platform in my opinion, and honestly not because of it's gaming ability. Other factors.

Got Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. It is awesome. Kill streak for the win!

EDIT: Hemmingway. Get Dead Space if you want scary. That game scares me every time and I've played it like ten times.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

My brother warned me about Dead Space. I think I'll pass.

You may have a point about computers, which is a sad, sad thing. Computers being far superior to consoles in virtually all ways. Controls? Graphics? Upgrade potential? Versatility? Better in every way!

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on November 18, 2010, 05:22:30 PM
My brother warned me about Dead Space. I think I'll pass.

You may have a point about computers, which is a sad, sad thing. Computers being far superior to consoles in virtually all ways. Controls? Graphics? Upgrade potential? Versatility? Better in every way!
I can't give them controls or graphics. I honestly do not notice the gap in the current gen and PC. People try to point it out but I don't see it. Controls. I like console. Because of so few buttons and combo's available it makes them take a minimalist-perfectionist approach, plus consoles have rumble. That's the winner.

Sorry PC, you're just not returnable. Consoles are as close to idiot proof as possible.

Anyone else notice a ramp up in the general difficulty of AC: Brotherhood?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Ugh. While downloading FEAR2, I'm playing Alpha Protocol. Problem is, I feel like playing a Jack Bauer-type character, only I'd like to finish Recruit first so I can unlock the Veteran thing. Which means I have to finish the game before starting a new one, and that never works out well for me.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on November 18, 2010, 06:02:32 PM
Ugh. While downloading FEAR2, I'm playing Alpha Protocol. Problem is, I feel like playing a Jack Bauer-type character, only I'd like to finish Recruit first so I can unlock the Veteran thing. Which means I have to finish the game before starting a new one, and that never works out well for me.
Look when they push back a game for about a year, forget to tell anyone, and when it actually comes out it still reviews poorly. That's the Goddess of Gaming herself telling you it's going to disappoint.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on November 18, 2010, 06:29:50 PM
Look when they push back a game for about a year, forget to tell anyone, and when it actually comes out it still reviews poorly. That's the Goddess of Gaming herself telling you it's going to disappoint.

... Which one are you talking about now?

Oooh, Steam finished downloading FEAR, and it's only 2 AM. I guess it's lights off and ... well.

Oh, God. Alma jumping at me in the first minute of gameplay. This isn't going to end well for me.

Edit: And as if creepy shimmering and moving blurs in a dark/red-lit room wasn't enough, the room somehow makes my flashlight flutter. I am not going to survive this!

Edit: I think this guy learned his lesson in how not to get the drop on me. Kicking down a door and shouting is a sure way of getting shot. I didn't even have time to check who it was before blowing his head full of lead. ... so I guess he didn't really learn a lesson, because he's dead.

Sabby

Oh, I'm not bitter ^^' It's just easier to rant then it is to praise. I actually enjoy more games then I hate :) Just when something does irk me, it gets expressed a lot more.

Glad your liking Fear 2. My favourite gun has gotta be that spike launcher. I remember hitting some in the ass with it as they ran away in slow motion, and they got pinned against the wall with a big spike driven up his asshole xD.

Hemingway

Well, I can relate to that.

And I am enjoying it. It's scary as all hell [ occasionally ], but mostly it's more like mind-fuck [ literally ; D ] ( I know how the game ends! ) than actual fear most of the time. I imagine myself in that situation, giggling and going, "I'm seeing things ... I hope!"

Wolfy

Anyone have AC: Brotherhood? I think I'll get it tommorow, but I'm not sure. D:

Sabby

It was like BULLET TIME FLYING PELVIC THRUST!

Hemingway

Why are these guys wearing exposed oxygen tanks on their backs? I mean, I get it, it's probably there for a reason, but you'd think they'd at least slap some armor on their pressurized oxygen. I mean, don't they know what happens if that think ruptures? Come on! Stupid evil henchmen!

DudelRok

Phantom Crash

If you've got an original Xbox, find and play this!!!!

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

Hellion000

Tron 2.0
Warhammer 40K Dawn of War Dark Crusade/ Soul Storm
Titan Quest: Immortal Throne

In the line up is:

Warhammer 40K Dawn of War II Rise of Chaos
Bioshock (take 4. I keep glitching out half way through and having to start over).

Brandon

Playing AC Brotherhood right now. Its a little disappointing so far. I never played the original AC, just the second one and I liked it a lot. However brotherhood doesnt seem like much more then an expansion pack to the 2nd game. I might just still be early in the game but so far Im not impressed for a full price game. If it had been $20-30 I wouldnt mind so much, in fact I would be fine with paying that price for the game, but right now it seems very overpriced
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Inkidu

It gets much better. There are a lot of little touches in it though, it's really hard to see the subtle differences. However, hidden blading a guy on horseback never gets old.