Journal of a Poor Culinary Student: Photos

Started by Ryven, March 25, 2011, 03:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

I personally think there's a big difference between 'food artists' and chefs.  I'd much rather be given a plate of something that tastes good than something that looks like a bit of modern sculpture.  Not to say that presentation isn't important - food should look appealing - but it's not the ultimate goal.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ryven

Yeah.  I'm not much for going over the top with presentation, but I do like to make things look good.  I don't have a goal to be a food artist, but I do want to learn the basic decorating techniques for pastries.

Ryven

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Diablerie

Ryven

Oniya

Minus the jelly beans, there's a restaurant called Friendly's that does a rolled ice-cream log like this.  I've never seen it as a baked cake before, though.

Saerrael

Ryven

Quote from: Oniya on September 03, 2011, 10:21:58 PM
Minus the jelly beans, there's a restaurant called Friendly's that does a rolled ice-cream log like this.  I've never seen it as a baked cake before, though.

I love friendly's, but only for their ice cream.  They do not reach as far south as where I am though. :-(

Oniya

I feel your pain - I have a similar relationship with Sonic.

Ryven

I will trade you.  I know of three only a few miles from where I live.

Ryven

Oniya

Not sure I would have the patience. At the very least, I'd need twice the displayed amount of decorating pieces.  Omnomnom...

Ryven

I would totally have the patience.  I had so much fun making garnishes and plating last weekend, so I'm all about pretty food now. ;D

The Golden Touch

-Flails-

I remember my culinary college days... Things like THIS happen:

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Ryven

The Golden Touch

Yessss, the aspic days. -throws up hands- Pretty but a pain to cut all that out and fill in without fracking it up.

Ryven

Quote from: The Golden Touch on September 09, 2011, 12:59:18 PM
Yessss, the aspic days. -throws up hands- Pretty but a pain to cut all that out and fill in without fracking it up.

I'll bet.  Wouldn't they just use gelatin and customized cutters nowadays?

The Golden Touch

It really depends on the kitchen. In class, we were learning to make our own ideas. I did the most in depth work, and took me the longest. But in a normal, non student, kitchen- its unlikely that they'd do something without a stencil. [Most people I've worked with cannot draw.........]

Ryven

I can't draw either, so count me in for a stencil >____>

Ryven

Pecan fudge brownie, fresh marshmallow with orange oil, blood orange sorbet with candied orange slice and chocolate filigree.  I made this in class. :-)

olive

Yummy! Hello long lost friend *rubs the belly* I miss seeing you in the SB.  :-\

Ryven

Marina

Quote from: Ryven on March 29, 2011, 10:33:33 PM

I found a recipe for panda bread, and I thought it was the cutest thing to put in your mouth. :-)

How do you make panda bread!?!?
I must know. My name is Marina, I am new here and learning my way around.
This is an awesome string. I love it.

Oniya

Most 'character breads' are made by creating the character out of ropes of colored dough.  For example, you'd start here with four ropes of dark brown dough.  Two of those, you would then wrap with a layer of uncolored, white dough, and put them next to each other to make the face.  The two others get pinched along the top and arranged on top.  The final layer of green dough has to be kind of gently pressed into place around the ears. 

After baking, when you cut it crosswise, you get the panda pattern, just like you get a spiral pattern when you cut a jelly-roll.