Predators! The Alien Not the Noun

Started by undisclosedtoyou, August 14, 2010, 11:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undisclosedtoyou

Predators!
The Alien Not the Noun

I want to start a one on one or possibly a group game that is Predator/human centered.  But I don't know that much about them.  So if people can throw random facts about them to me, than I'd love to get them.  Or you can just use this as a discussion on the Aliens if you like.

I should note that I'm not lazy, and will research info on my own to.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Brumak

I have been a fan of the movies and since I started rping a few years ago I have wanted to Rp as a Predator. I have done a few small scenes on my old website in Predator form. I'll post up some info links on the history of the Yautja and Hish hopefully they will help ya out.

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Vocal_Mimicry
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3975343/

Kunoichi

Hmm.  Well, I know that one of the books suggested that female Predators are larger than the male ones, and I know that their name for themselves in expanded fiction is Yautja.

I also know that the movie Predators introduced the idea of a clan of Predators that's pretty big on self-improvement, to the point where they seem to have even done some genetic engineering to make themselves much bigger and nastier than the standard garden-variety Predator.

Most of what I know I learned from wikis that you're likely to find in your research, though, and those places do a much better job summing up all the info than I can.

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: Brumak on August 15, 2010, 12:14:57 AM
I have been a fan of the movies and since I started rping a few years ago I have wanted to Rp as a Predator. I have done a few small scenes on my old website in Predator form. I'll post up some info links on the history of the Yautja and Hish hopefully they will help ya out.

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Vocal_Mimicry
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3975343/

Oh yeah, I've watched a few of the movies, not all of them mind you, but two or three.  I love the idea of them really, and it's weird, but playing with them in a game would be really interesting, to say the least.

Thanks for the links!  I'm reading through the first one right now :D

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 15, 2010, 12:15:32 AM
Hmm.  Well, I know that one of the books suggested that female Predators are larger than the male ones, and I know that their name for themselves in expanded fiction is Yautja.

I also know that the movie Predators introduced the idea of a clan of Predators that's pretty big on self-improvement, to the point where they seem to have even done some genetic engineering to make themselves much bigger and nastier than the standard garden-variety Predator.

Most of what I know I learned from wikis that you're likely to find in your research, though, and those places do a much better job summing up all the info than I can.

Females are larger, check!  I'll remember that, since it seems like something important.  The only thing I really knew about them before this thread, was that they call themselves Youtja.

Genetic engineering, check!  For beings that are so big on being the best, I can see this being something they'd do.  But it makes me wonder what the garden variety Predator looks like lmao.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Kunoichi

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on August 15, 2010, 12:42:21 AM
Females are larger, check!  I'll remember that, since it seems like something important.  The only thing I really knew about them before this thread, was that they call themselves Youtja.

That was just in one book, mind you. ^^; And since it was in a book, it's not necessarily canon.

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on August 15, 2010, 12:42:21 AM
Genetic engineering, check!  For beings that are so big on being the best, I can see this being something they'd do.  But it makes me wonder what the garden variety Predator looks like lmao.

The garden-variety ones are the ones you're familiar with, actually.  The movie Predators introduced these new, bigger, uglier 'Super-Predators' that are the ones who are big on self-improvement.  According to the movie, they're also currently in a feud with the regular variety.

undisclosedtoyou

I should correct my last post, I thought there where more than four predator movies, but there's only four er five now with the new one that just came out.

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 15, 2010, 12:47:42 AM
That was just in one book, mind you. ^^; And since it was in a book, it's not necessarily canon.

Oh well it's better than them calling themselves Predators.

QuoteThe garden-variety ones are the ones you're familiar with, actually.  The movie Predators introduced these new, bigger, uglier 'Super-Predators' that are the ones who are big on self-improvement.  According to the movie, they're also currently in a feud with the regular variety.

I so need to watch the one that just came out, is that where this information came from?
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Kunoichi

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on August 15, 2010, 12:58:16 AM
Oh well it's better than them calling themselves Predators.

I should have been more specific. >>; It's the bit about females being larger than males that's only in one or two books.  The Yautja name is pretty common, on the other hand.

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on August 15, 2010, 12:58:16 AM
I so need to watch the one that just came out, is that where this information came from?

You don't really 'need' to watch it unless you want to include that particular clan in the roleplay you want to run.  And even then, there are probably pictures and a detailed plot synopsis floating around somewhere...

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 15, 2010, 01:13:14 AM
I should have been more specific. >>; It's the bit about females being larger than males that's only in one or two books.  The Yautja name is pretty common, on the other hand.

You don't really 'need' to watch it unless you want to include that particular clan in the roleplay you want to run.  And even then, there are probably pictures and a detailed plot synopsis floating around somewhere...

Ahhhh, I think when it comes to things like female size and such, I'll just make something up, fill in the gaps if there isn't any definitive facts on them.

Lol, true.  I think there's already a game floating around here that's similar to that movie, but it didn't really appeal to me at the time. 
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

undisclosedtoyou

So I put up my game idea, and I just wanted to thank you guys, again for your help.  Kunoichi, the piece of info about genetic engineering gave me a good idea!
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's