Interest check, Wildcards rp (Freeform)

Started by GlompNinja, September 01, 2013, 09:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlompNinja

Was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a game based on the Wildcards series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Cards
http://www.wildcardsonline.com/

Ideally I'd want a good mix of aces, jokers and humans, maybe a deuce or two as well. Original characters only. But this is just an interest check, if I get 6 or 7 replies I'll start a recruitment thread. If you have any questions feel free to ask here or pm me.

Information about the groups is below, though I just pulled it straight from wikipedia-

There are certain broad classes of characters in the Wild Cards universe of superhero novels started by George R. R. Martin.
Aces

To be classified as an Ace, the person must still be basically human in appearance and generally be able to "pass" in society as normal person—as opposed to the physical mutations affecting those known as Jokers, resulting in various physical deformities or debilitating conditions. Certain individuals with both powers and physical alterations are still considered Aces, such as the celebrity Ace known as Peregrine, who despite having a pair of feathered wings growing from her shoulder blades is otherwise physically attractive in appearance.

Ace powers range from the trivial (for example, the ability to turn water into wine) to the fantastic abilities that the general public would actually consider to be "superpowers" (flying, teleporting, mind-reading, shape-shifting, etc.). Those Aces with powers that are so minor or specific as to be considered "parlor tricks" are sub-classified Deuces.
Jokers

A Joker is a person that was infected by the Wild Card virus and got one or more deformities or crippling physical conditions as a result. The mutations can be slight (like Father Squid's nose, which turned into a mass of tentacles) or grotesque (like Snotman, who exudes a foul-smelling secretion through every pore of his body). Some alterations that would be classified as a Joker are only obvious if one was aware of the infected individual's original appearance (such as Gimili, who appeared to simply be a dwarf, but was in fact mutated into that form by the virus, or Succubus, who appeared to be an elderly woman, whose physical aging had been accelerated by her mutation). Those who gained superhuman powers were instead classified as Aces, though there were some with both powers and deformities who were referred to as Ace/Jokers, such as Bloat. There were even a very fortunate few whose deformities were considered attractive by many, such as Peregrine, an Ace with flight-capable angelic wings who eventually became a TV star with her own talk show, Peregrine's Perch. Jokers often refer to those not affected by the Wild card virus as Nats.

Dr. Tachyon has theorized that the forms taken by Jokers are influenced by the subconscious mind through a form of micro-telekinesis during the initial stage of the disease. This could explain why some joker forms are similar to those of animals or fantasy creatures, or often reflect the personal fears or desires of the individuals.

The largest and oldest Joker community in the world is the New York City neighborhood known as Jokertown.
Deuces

A Deuce is a person that was infected by the Wild Card virus and gained a useless or trivial ability, like the power to levitate pennies, the ability to turn into a puddle of water, the ability to grow bodily hair at will, or the ability to levitate two feet off the ground. Those with more significant powers are known as Aces.
Nats

Some Wild Carders, particularly Jokers, use the term "Nat", short for natural, as a sometimes derogatory way of referring to those who are not infected by the Wild Card.
Suicide Kings

A Suicide King is a child of two Wild Card Positive parents who has inherited the virus. A Suicide King is likely to express their Wild Card virus when reaching puberty, and has the same 90% chance of death as another person that caught the Wild Cards virus normally. Causing undue mental distress to a Suicide King is punishable by law, as this could cause the virus to express itself.

doodasaurus

I am quite interested!  Yep, this is me, made of interest!

GlompNinja

Woohoo, awesome!

My girl bought me the books for my last birthday so I reread them all again, and I was thinking about starting to again today but then I thought, I know, I'll do a roleplay :)

GlompNinja

Put info about the groups in, which I probably should've done from the start, but oh well.