Crashlanded

Started by RedEve, January 30, 2013, 12:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedEve

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

What I am looking for here is a scenario where a ship belonging to a technologically advanced race crashes on a planet where the native humanoids are at a very different stage of their cultural and scientific development.
Think Star Trek visiting a bronze-age level world.

Only the ship in question (and its culture) has no such thing as a prime directive, so they would have little concerns about harming the natural development of a primitive culture and instead use their technology and weapons to make themselves the new emperors and demi-gods of their new home-world.

Since I am already GM another group game, I would not want to start this up without the help of at least one co-GM.
I also won't ask for people to create character sheets as long as I'm not sure there is even enough interest for this.

The two type of characters we would need are the crewmembers of the crashed ship and the people belonging to the "primitive" culture.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

xPeachyPuff

I would be interested in this (: Possibly playing a native woman. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to co-GM for you though, as I have no experience in running a group game what so ever. Sorry Red D:

-xSRx

mrsjaz

Interesting idea RedEve.

So will there be any conflicts and hostility between the two groups? Will the natives be magic users? Or will the superior weapons of the crewmembers totally dominate anything the natives have/use. Anyway I do like the idea, and also that the crew would have no qualms in subjugating the natives, so they would become the slaves, sex slaves, and praise and worship their new "Gods". I do hope you get some more interest in this.  :-)   

"... And she looked at me with big brown eyes and said, you ain't seen nothin yet."
My ONs & OFFs
Oath of Drake
A/As and  My Status
My Stories/Ideas

RedEve

Quote from: mrsjaz on January 31, 2013, 05:48:57 AM
Interesting idea RedEve.

So will there be any conflicts and hostility between the two groups? Will the natives be magic users? Or will the superior weapons of the crewmembers totally dominate anything the natives have/use. Anyway I do like the idea, and also that the crew would have no qualms in subjugating the natives, so they would become the slaves, sex slaves, and praise and worship their new "Gods". I do hope you get some more interest in this.  :-)   

There would be no magic involved, basically the humanoids would be at the level of a late Bronze age/early Iron age human culture.
The crew's weapons would dwarf anything the indigenous people have.
And yes, the crew would just take what they want without any shame.

Caehlim

Very interesting idea.

There might even be the prospect of conflict amongst the crew-members, since they are the only ones who can oppose one another.

Are you thinking that the crew and the natives would both be human/humanoid? (i.e. star trek aliens) or would one or both of them be stranger creatures?
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

RedEve

Quote from: Caehlim on January 31, 2013, 08:27:28 AM
Very interesting idea.

There might even be the prospect of conflict amongst the crew-members, since they are the only ones who can oppose one another.

Are you thinking that the crew and the natives would both be human/humanoid? (i.e. star trek aliens) or would one or both of them be stranger creatures?

Both races are humanoids.

Caehlim

I definitely find the concept intriguing, I've always loved the idea of different technology levels interacting.

Would it be set immediately post-crash, making first contact?

SargentToughie

hmm... Seems pretty neat.

Bookmarked and lurking. ;)
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

MagicalPen

It depends on the technology of the space-faring people. I imagine they don't use bullets if they can travel through space.

I quite like the idea of being worshiped like a God though - color me interested.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

RedEve

Quote from: Caehlim on January 31, 2013, 08:48:11 AM
I definitely find the concept intriguing, I've always loved the idea of different technology levels interacting.

Would it be set immediately post-crash, making first contact?

The idea would be to make first contact part of the game, yes.
There might even be a small minority of the crew that feels conflicted about subjugating the indigenous population, so there is room for some internal conflict amongst the crewmembers as well.

RedEve

Quote from: mia h on January 31, 2013, 01:05:21 PM
Seems like it has possibilities, almost seems like a time travel thing advanced humans going back to the bronze kinda thing.
Be interesting to think about what limits the crashed ship has, having a pistol in the bronze age would get you a certain amount of "respect" when you shot the first person trying to attack you, but if you've only got 6 bullets what happens when the 7th person comes after you?

Of course if all the natives looked like this, that wouldn't hurt either

The weapons at the disposal of the crewmembers would go far beyond a fire-arm.
They would also have shield technology that makes the local race's primitive weapons all but useless.

Peripherie

No experience in GMing but I would be very interested in joining the group!
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

MagicalPen

As I have experience, I could be co-gm.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Jassara Sunn

Hmm, I'm interested as well, if you dont mind a character that posts at a slightly slow rate due to reallity. Basically three days a week?

xPeachyPuff

I think that's a pretty reasonable posting rate Jassara. I, myself, would probably only get to post 5 days a week, possibly one or two posts a day depending on muse and real life.

Looking any everyone else s comments though, I have to wonder how the RP will turn out. I was very much inspired by the very light Avatar vibe I was getting from this RP at the beginning, but I'm not sure if that's exactly how it will be played. (I was thinking more along the line of romance and story and a mix of group domination rather than smut and domination of one group or the other.) I see it as the Natives would be quite hostile towards the new comers, but that they would either be willing to learn their ways or would think they were superior and try to dominate the natives. That is only my opinion, however.

I will defiantly keep my eye on this thread and am still extremely interested. (: But I thought I'd just throw out some concerns now rather then not speaking up at all. (I hope you don't think I'm moaning or anything, just wanted to say what I was thinking.)

-xSRx

RedEve

There would be disagreement amongst the crew about how the indigenous people should be treated.
Some might deem them no more than a commodity that they can use and abuse indiscriminately.
Others might see them merely as slaves or free labor, meaning that they would demand obedience but would not kill them off without good reason.
And perhaps another group feels guilt and disgust at the way their crew-mates are treating the locals.

RedEve

Okay, for reasons of simplicity I would suggest that both the crewmembers and the indigenous race are very similar in appearance.
Both look like normal humans.

Miroque

I might be intrested to join aswell. Witch ever party has less people, as just by reading this, I got ideas on both sides. (bookmarked and lurking)

RedEve

Quote from: mia h on February 01, 2013, 07:57:15 AM
I wasn't worried about the exact level of tech the crash-ees have, just assuming that it would be limited in some way. So in the same way a firearm would need bullets, energy weapons would need batteries to run them, while the batteries could be recharged there would still have to be a fuel source to generate that energy. Stuff would wear out and the raw materials and processing needed to make replacements wouldn't be available.

Right, but with no interstellar travel to drain it, the ship's own power source could last much longer than it otherwise would have.

SargentToughie

Alright, after having lurked for a little bit and listened to how things are starting to develop, I'm happy to say that I'm totally on board with the idea behind this RP, so I'm in.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Prince Truhan

I'm interested in playing in this

RedEve

The downed ship would be called the "Neriglissar". The communications and propulsion systems would be irreparably damaged, but most of the other systems would still remain operational after the crash.
So the ship would serve them as a base of operations. I would put the number of survivors of the crash at around 80, just to give them a compliment that is large enough for them to realistically impose their will upon the natives.

RedEve

Quote from: mia h on February 02, 2013, 08:18:35 AM
So a USS Defiant sized ship where everyone survives the crash or a USS Voyager sized ship where only half the crew survive   ;D

I would say their full complement would be around 100 crew-members, with around one in five perishing in the crash.

RedEve

The indigenous people would have a technology level similar to Roma in the first century AD.
The environment would be a temperate jungle with large and small cities scattered across the planet's surface.
The ship will have crashed relatively closely to one of the larger settlements (I would say around 200K population).

Caehlim

Is this game going to be more sexually based or more story-focused? (or rather what sort of ratio between the two would we be looking at).