News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Scion interest check.

Started by Bloody Rose, May 16, 2010, 09:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloody Rose

Well, I just thought of a idea that y ou all might like. I would like to throw a Scion Roleplay. Scion is a White Wolf game that is of Gods and mythology. You will be playing a son of a God called a Scion. As you progress in the adventure you will become a Demigod and eventually a God. Expect this to be a very fun game, mythology on the current lifetime. I would need at least three players to play.  I just need a couple of yes so I can be sure if I bother to make the story.

Brandon

Wooo, modern socities thrust into a shadow war of mythological origin. Count me in! I've always loved Scion due to having some of the most interesting yet still mythologically tied characters I've ever created.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Bloody Rose

Yep, Norse/Greek/Egyptian are the only pantheons accepted, if you want more info add me to yahoo.

Brandon

No amtasukami? I may have to rethink that, theyre not only my favorite pantheon but they easily make the most interesting Scions, at least as far as I've seen

Let me take a step back though, I can understand limiting gods out of the core books (Celtic, Chinese, and american gods of Companion) but why no Japanese, Aztec, or Voodoo scions?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Bloody Rose

I am a new Scion ST and I still need to get to know  a lot of stuff. I am limiting myself to those since they are the most famous of the Gods. However if you have a idea and want to run it through me just say so, I might make a exception.

Wolfy

O-o..I'd be interested...But I have no idea what any of you are talking about. O_o

Bloody Rose

Scion is a tabletop rpg game. About the sons and daughters of mythical gods.

Wolfy

ok..so..is this going to be a system game?

Bloody Rose

Wolfy

Wellt..Good luck with that, buddy. o3o

Bloody Rose

HairyHeretic

There are a number of (experienced) Scion players and GMs on here, if you want any tips :)

My own pen and paper campaign is up to Legend 6, and in all honesty, limiting yourself to just the 3 pantheons isn't going to make the game any easier to run. I may have a slight bias as I'm currently playing a son of Sun Wukong though :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Ironwolf85

I've never played before... mind if i get in on it?
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Callie Del Noire

I had a fun Scion of Loki whose 'grandfather' was trying to swing a deal to get Loki to pass her over to him (Grandfather is Old Man Coyote. :D )

Ironwolf85

though i have to wonder about modern monotheistic faiths in that world
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Bloody Rose

mmm After talking about it with some friends I decided to leave it as a option. If you want to play one that is not the three you can. I will leave it open to play in case somebody wants to make one.

And a Loki Scion.... damn that will be funny to have.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on May 18, 2010, 12:37:10 PM

There's a fan made pantheon or two that deal with them, but the only official reference to them is via the Order of Divine Glory, and it's ... not widely regarded as having been one of the better decisions, from what I can see on the official Scion forums.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ironwolf85

Still I was thinking of maybe an Anubis-looking character or something.
hmmmm....
a Big god that's more in the background maybe, to make sure scions don't do somthing extreme to his world (IE: completely destroy the US's Eastern Seaboard)

Callie Del Noire

Well I've sent my old Loki scion along already.. she's the great-granddaughter of Old Man Coyote..nothing like two tricksters fighting for a bone huh?

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on May 18, 2010, 03:06:58 PM
a Big god that's more in the background maybe, to make sure scions don't do somthing extreme to his world (IE: completely destroy the US's Eastern Seaboard)

Nope. The monotheistic viewpoint doesn't fit into the Scion universe. The various Gods and Goddesses are all real. Most of their time is spent fighting the Titans in the Godrealms though, so they don't interact much on Earth. That's what their children are to do.

Scion is VERY different to the standard WW games, where gribblies lurk in the shadows. You want to start off as a physicist, neurosurgeon,  rock star musician from the start, and take over your own small country, you can.

Of course, the problem is that there are MUCH bigger and nastier things than you out there, so making yourself public means you make yourself a target for them.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ironwolf85

oooohhhh i didn't realize that....
so be it...
gotta look up characters now... not used to playing a character that starts as amazing....

HairyHeretic

Scion doesn't set things like background and resources. They're entirely up to the players (and the GMs approval, obviously).

For instance, my pen and paper group at the start consisted of

Scion of Hermes - Surfer girl from Hawaii
Scion of Dionisys - Playboy from one of the south east Asian countries
Scion of Athena - American archeology professor
Scion of Thor - Irish street kid
Scion of Anubis - Irish/Spanish doctor
Scion of Sun Wukong - Hong Kong tv show actor

At legend 2 or 3 (starting values), a Scion will be able to talk their way into just about any kind of secure facility, hold a world class ability in any subject they chose, toss around small vehicles and run faster than an Olympic athlete. Ordinary mortals, unless you're talking military professionals, will simply not be a threat to them. And the power level only ramps up from there :)

Scion rocks :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Cold Heritage

Depends on what you want to do - several concepts decidedly do not rock in Scion . . . but that is always the case with White Wolf products: some concepts get arbitrarily neutered.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Zebu

Sounds like a very interesting system.  Zara, are you alright with complete novices in your game?  If you say yes, I'll start tracking down books.
Live forever or die trying.

For Great Justice
--Machiavelli.

Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.

Bloody Rose

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Cold Heritage on May 18, 2010, 09:55:22 PM
Depends on what you want to do - several concepts decidedly do not rock in Scion . . . but that is always the case with White Wolf products: some concepts get arbitrarily neutered.

Really? I've always considered Scion to offer a lot of freedom in character concepts. What did you have problems with?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Zebu

Wow.  This is...  completely different from what I'm used to.  If this is what a little divine blood does, I can hardly imagine what it would be like to play a Demigod!

For Great Justice
--Machiavelli.

Ironwolf85

count me in...
and as for the monotheistic thing, I had a funny history ideas... what if the Cathloic Saints were actually some of the same pantheons in the book just presented diffrently to the masses.
the idea of a cathloic Inquisitor that's actually a scion of the judge anubis....
but that's not the part of the story.

I wanna play this now

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on May 19, 2010, 10:34:19 PM
count me in...
and as for the monotheistic thing, I had a funny history ideas... what if the Cathloic Saints were actually some of the same pantheons in the book just presented diffrently to the masses.
the idea of a cathloic Inquisitor that's actually a scion of the judge anubis....
but that's not the part of the story.

I wanna play this now

Funny enough the Voudoun pantheon does stand in for a handful of the saints.

Ironwolf85

how is a new pantheon formed anyway?
sorry to go on about it, but I it's a hole in the story and when I see one I can't help but play around with ideas

HairyHeretic

I think once you're up to God level you have the option of forming your own pantheon, but I haven't looked too far into that.

I think there's a fan made pantheon of the Christian saints as well, on the scion wiki.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ironwolf85

*laughing* okay then but I still like anubis... I could do some cool stuff with a scion there.
I was just having fun poking at facts

Ramael

Know of Scion, know my pantheons, well versed in playing online RPs.

Never actually played Scion the game.

This be a problem? Being that I won't know the system. I imagine it would slow things down a tad.

Ironwolf85

I don't even know how to do the characters or the rules...
WHEEEE ;D

HairyHeretic

Your GM will be able to help with that. First figure out the basic character concept, and get an idea for which pantheon you'd like to belong to. The mechanics in Scion are relatively straightforwards.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Zebu

He speaks the truth.  I'd never even heard of Scion a few weeks ago, and now I'm having the time of my life.

For Great Justice
--Machiavelli.

Callie Del Noire

Here is my character.. the one twist that isn't in the backstory is she's got Scion Blood on both sides (her mother's family WAY back had a scion of Old Man Coyote) but most recently her father is Loki. She despises him, and he knows it. The twist is her 'Grandfather' Coyote is trying to take her in so she has to do 'favors' for Dad.

Look wise, she's looks like Mercy Thompson from the cover of on of Patrica Brigg's books

H

Callie Del Noire

Soo..

resuming building the character up or just move on?

Bloody Rose

Ok since a few of my players were not from the site I had to throw it via chat on yahoo and via another site. However now that I am a bit more familiar with the system I would love to throw another adventure here via Elliquiy. So the questions is people of Elliquiy, if I come up with another story to throw in here will you play? will be erp heavy know that. Well let me know in case you guys wanna play or something.

Callie Del Noire

Zebu

For Great Justice
--Machiavelli.

Ironwolf85

I'll be on today till 2:00, and friday all day on YIM

Bloody Rose

Here is the Story OOC. Will wait for at least two characters so I can start.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=70263.msg3083241#msg3083241

fallensaviour

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on May 18, 2010, 12:37:10 PM

actually the game system indicates that aten the titan of light -is- the jeudeo/christian god and anything decently good in christianity is a misinterpretation of him being evil

Elohim

I'd like to give scion a try.

Bloody Rose

Pm me and we will talk about it. Guys Its been almost a week and I had not received any CC. Are none of you interested? if not tell me so I can wrap it up.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: fallensaviour on June 02, 2010, 02:06:12 PM
actually the game system indicates that aten the titan of light -is- the jeudeo/christian god and anything decently good in christianity is a misinterpretation of him being evil

If you're refering to the Order of Divine Glory, that's one of the more heavily debated parts of Scion material.

Plus, at the end of the day, the GM decides what is and isn't canon in their game.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Bloody Rose

I think that is a highly debated theme as well. I dont think I will include that part on my scion, still not sure though I will need to read more... but I am eating.. Chinese food mmmm

Muse

So, if I make a charecter as a show of my sincere desire too be your plaything play, where do I post her? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Bloody Rose

Zebu

Isn't the OOC here?
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=70263.msg3083241#msg3083241
Or will there be a separate place for character sheets?

For Great Justice
--Machiavelli.

Bloody Rose

Hehehe yea it is I thought I lost the link. Post CC there

Darkforged Dove

How would a scion of Huitzilopochotli (aka Hummingbird of the Left; and no, it's not a hard name to pronounce well), of the Aztec pantheon work?

Right now, I'm thinking of some sort of either south american ex-military character. Either a former terror squad operator trying to do right to wash away previous wrongs; or a pretty clean cut person that's learning to exalt his maimed father's thirst for blood, combat and war.

The Norse/Egyptian/Greek pantheons are something that I've honestly gotten tired of over the years in so many different games.
Pretendy fun time games is good, but I tend to want as much of the real, original and undiluted as possible. A paradox, I know.

Bloody Rose

As I always say, your the son of the god, your not the god. Whatever your char do is up to you. If you wanna play his scion do it, your char is a human capable of doing their own actions. ^^ hope that helps.

Zebu

Oooh, another Aztec scion...  This'll be interesting.  And yeah, the Aztec deities are notorious for ignoring their Scions.  Right up until the point they drag them to the sacrificial altar.

For Great Justice
--Machiavelli.