PC or Nintendo (3)DS Game Suggestions?

Started by Lurking, December 08, 2013, 04:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lurking

I can't seem to be able to write much at the moment so thought my brain could use a good game to get lost into. I haven't bought any new games in ages (after deciding I really should finish the mass of games on my shelf before buying new ones. :P) so I'm kind of out of the loop as to what's out there.
Any suggestions for PC games or Nintendo 3ds, normal ds or gameboy games (better graphics doesn't necessarily mean better gameplay after all).

I usually like RPGs, however I'm open to any recommendations at the moment. Only things I don't want are shoot 'em up games or online games, I've seriously gone off mmorpgs or any online games lately.

So, yeah, shoot some titles my way. ^.^
On Hiatus

GanonDwarf

Kid Icarus Uprising is one of my favorite games of all time. It's funny and fun to play as well. A good 3DS game all around.  Pokemon X and Y is also good, as well as Fire Emblem awakening.  Both very essential for a 3DS library if you enjoy RPGS.

I don't PC game at all, so I can't help you there I'm afraid.
My ons/offs Updated:Feb.14, 2020
AbsencesUpdated:Feb 5th, 2019
Fandom Request Thread!

Chris Brady

Does the 3DS even have any RPGs yet?  Honest question.  I think Project X Zone is one...  I think that's what it was called.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

GanonDwarf

Atlus has made a couple of RPGs for the 3DS, though I've never played them yet.

Etrian Odyssey IV and Shin Megami Tensei IV  come to mind. They both look pretty good.
My ons/offs Updated:Feb.14, 2020
AbsencesUpdated:Feb 5th, 2019
Fandom Request Thread!

Tsenta

Ocarina of Time 3D and Fire Emblem come to mind..
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Lurking

QuoteKid Icarus Uprising is one of my favorite games of all time. It's funny and fun to play as well. A good 3DS game all around.  Pokemon X and Y is also good, as well as Fire Emblem awakening.  Both very essential for a 3DS library if you enjoy RPGS.

I don't PC game at all, so I can't help you there I'm afraid.

Already got Kid Icarus, although I haven't played it very much, I must break it out again as I remember it being fun.
I'll add pokemon x or y to my list, as well as fire emblem. I was looking at fire emblem and was thinking about it, I think it may well end up in my collection before long. ^.^
On Hiatus

Tsenta

Be warned, X/Y does drop in entertainment factor after you beat the story. Not many post-game things to do. But if yer a pokemon fan, yer used to this already. :P
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Chris Brady

On the PC side, I've been playing an kinda JRPG named Valdis Story: Abyssal City, which is actually kind of fun.  You have two characters to start off with to choose from.  A rowdy swordsman and a kung fu girl.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Sabby

For the DS, there's Endless Space, which is a space opera RPG by FRIGGEN PLATINUM. Then there's the Castlevania Trilogy, which is amazing. Portrait of Ruin, Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia are some of the best side scrolling games I've ever played. There's a DS port of the 4 Megaman Zero games, but they are pretty hard, so I wouldn't recommend them to casual players :/

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Tsenta on December 08, 2013, 05:02:43 PM
Be warned, X/Y does drop in entertainment factor after you beat the story. Not many post-game things to do. But if yer a pokemon fan, yer used to this already. :P

It is far worse than the older titles.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Revelation

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 08, 2013, 04:33:48 PM
Does the 3DS even have any RPGs yet?  Honest question.  I think Project X Zone is one...  I think that's what it was called.

Etrian Odyssey 4
Etrian Odyssey Untold
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Devil survivor: Overclocked
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Rune Factory 4
Monster Hunter 3
Pokemon X/Y
Tales of the Abyss
Mario sticker star story
Mario/Luigi dream team
Kingdom hearts 3d
Conception 2 (coming next year)
Persona Q (coming next year)
Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers
Devil Survivor 2: Break record (Hopefully out next year)
Bravely default (coming to US in feburary. Out in Japan and europe)

Almost all of which i'd recommend!

Kunoichi

I highly recommend purchasing Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies from the Nintendo E-shop, myself. ^^ It's a fun, humorous adventure game about a trio of lawyers.

Koren

All of the Ace Attorney games are really fun and great in entertainment value.

One thing i would really suggest as far as a 3DS game is Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon. Lots of fun and quite heavy in gameplay content as well so theres a lot of hours you can put into it.

As far as PC games, I don't really play many and especially not RPGs but if youre looking for some unique and interesting Indie games I would recommend:
Papers Please
1000 Amps
Edge
Thomas was alone

All are avalible on steam

Revelation

For some PC RPG's, check out...

Ys: Oath in Felghana
Ys: Origins
Ys: 1 & 2 chronicles

All available on steam. Ys: 1 & 2 are the first games in the series dolled up and changed around a bit, and play much differently from Felghana or Origins. Felghana is when the series really changed up and became an action RPG series known for fun combat, hard bosses, and kick ass soundtracks. 1,2, and Felghana involve the same main character, but you don't have to play them in order - though if you so i'd suggest 1>2>Origins>Felghana.

Trails in the Sky is getting a PC release come early 2014, and is a great RPG that was originally released on the PsP in the west.

Chris Brady

Another Action RPGs from Steam I recommend is Dust: An Elysian Tail

Sabby

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 09, 2013, 01:35:02 PM
Another Action RPGs from Steam I recommend is Dust: An Elysian Tail

Otherwise known as Furaffinity: The Game

Chris Brady

Really, Sabby?  You had to do that?  It's actually well done, but if you can't past the funny talking animals...

Sabby

Lurking

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll have to look up all those titles as soon as I get a chance. ^.^
On Hiatus

Aiden

Caeli

I would second Fire Emblem: Awakening, as well as the Pokemon X/Y games.

My list:

Fire Emblem: Awakening (I'm in love with the entire franchise. Excellent tactical RPG.)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Rune Factory 4
Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies
Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team
Golden Sun (GBA), Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (GBA), Golden Sun: The Lost Age (DS)
Chrono Trigger (DS)

I'm also really looking forward to Yoshii's New Island for the 3DS. <3
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Revelation

Another RPG on the DS that might be overlooked is Radiant Historia - I feel this was an incredible rpg, and may in fact do time travel better than CT did it back on the snes.

Caeli

Quote from: Changingsaint on December 09, 2013, 03:45:42 PM
Another RPG on the DS that might be overlooked is Radiant Historia - I feel this was an incredible rpg, and may in fact do time travel better than CT did it back on the snes.

I actually saw this in my Amazon "recommended for you" list. What did you like specifically about it?

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Revelation

Quote from: Caeli on December 09, 2013, 03:49:58 PM
I actually saw this in my Amazon "recommended for you" list. What did you like specifically about it?

The game felt relatively fun and fresh - first of all the music and graphics were fairly great for a DS RPG. The spritework was excellent and the music crisp/clean instead of sounding muddy and a bit dissonant. For gameplay, I found the battle system fun with having to chain ally attacks together and being able to 'swap' your position in battle, having to tactically use that for better damage and better rewards. Then the field/world use of items and time travel to deal with puzzles was pretty fun. Fights felt fun and challenging throughout with the difficulty never spiking too hard in my opinion.

Plot wise, I liked the major characters. Stocke was well written, and felt like an actual 'Adult' instead of a teenager like a lot of annoying JRPG protagonists. The time travel starts off slow with just two branches, but each branch has alternate routes, sub branches, alternative endings to the game and all sorts of fun things in them. You have to work a bit to get the true end, but its not a slog to get there. Due to the major branching paths you'll never have the same characters in each timeline, so you also get to spend a lot of time with each character, and in my opinion theres only one 'bad' group member, and even he can get swapped out relatively early. I really feel this was one of the best RPG's on the DS period.

Caeli

That sounds great, Changingsaint. I think I might have to look into the game a bit more and see if it's something I would really enjoy.  From the sounds of it, though, I think I would really like it!

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ