The Hunger Games - Recruitment(System)

Started by undisclosedtoyou, February 29, 2012, 02:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRedFear

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on March 04, 2012, 07:33:36 PM
Psh, resisting the urge to join this game is a bad bad thing :P  I'm glad to have you though Nif!

I've been resisting for days. This seems to make me a bad, bad boy.

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: TheRedFear on March 13, 2012, 06:12:09 PM
I've been resisting for days. This seems to make me a bad, bad boy.

Oh well, you know what they say about bad boy's, they need a good spanking!

*Hollers* Brunhildaaaaaaaaaaa, we've got a boy needing some corporal punishment over here!
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Alysanthia

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on March 13, 2012, 06:14:50 PM
Oh well, you know what they say about bad boy's, they need a good spanking!

*Hollers* Brunhildaaaaaaaaaaa, we've got a boy needing some corporal punishment over here!

*Giggles and scurries away.*

undisclosedtoyou

Hahaha, I loved that!

Since this is an interest check though, we'll send in Brunhilda's good looking younger sister to dole out the punishment :P
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

LimitlessNikkie

I didn't want to look at this because I knew I'd be sucked in and I totally was. I can't resist putting up a character for consideration.

District 4 Tribute Ari King
Name: Ari King
Division: Division 4

Height: 5'6
Weight: 117lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Skin tone: Pale Cream
Distinguishing Marks: heavily calloused hands
Physical Description: Thin and willowy Ari is striking with such dark coloring against light skin tone that even exposed to a great deal of sun never seemed to tan. She has long legs and it a bit lanky but in an oddly elegant way, she has small curve that accent her hips and chest though they're understated because of her general lack of body fat.

Likes: The ocean, swimming, strawberries, the smell of the rain, storms in general, running, and singing.
Dislikes: Jelly fish(those little buggers sting), chattery people, crowds, and the color yellow.
Fears: Loosing people and the peace keepers.
Personality: Ari is near completely anti social. She is confined and often haunty with other. She is nearly always smirking like she's in on a secret the rest of the world is not. Besides her father she interacts with few people though in her youth she was very social and was known for her quick wit and easy smile. When she does talk with others or interact she is distant often using sarcasm to keep others at arms length from her, besides her father she is a solitary person driven by her one desire to escape an average mundane life.

History:Ari's life was a happy one for the first part of her life. Her dad was a fisher and a good one too. Her mother was a healer who helped the locals and together they created a comfortable life for Ari who lived in a rather easy life. In school she was popular and happy making friends easily and enjoying herself. She was a vibrant girl who laughed easily and smiled often. She was pretty and energetic too smart at times and was far too stubborn for her own good.

This probably would have been blessedly easy for Ari her whole life if it weren't for her mom. Ari's mother Samantha was caught selling some of the capitals precious drugs to those that needed them as part of a smuggling ring who stole them from the Peace Keepers. Though the locals regarded her of something of a hero for helping those in need the Peace keepers weren't of a like mind. They made an example of Samantha the only guilty person of the ring they could find. Ari came home from school to find out the Peace Keepers had killed her mother.

She changed over night after that. She withdrew into herself and started working on her fathers boat instead of going to school. From him she learned a great deal from how to tie knots and weave to how to use a knife to gut a fish and in private to defend herself. She worked hard but as she grew up she had no direction. She wanted nothing of the life her mother and father had shared for she feared loosing anyone she loved. she didn't want mundane. She craved excitement and thrilled to risks. Locals called her crazy for she did things that paralyzed others with fear laughing with mirth as she did.

One day watching the games she'd smirked and nudged her father, "I'm going to win that." he'd given her a grave look and stared at her for a long time, "I'd often wondered if you'd bother to tell me." She'd flushed then turning away. She'd played with the idea of volunteering for a few years now though she hadn't realized she'd been so obvious in her musings. She could imagine no future she wanted and she lived for the thrills of life. What could be more thrilling then fighting for ones life in the games?

After that the focus in her life changed. Though she was willing in a passive way to throw her life away her father was not. He paid every extra cent he had to see her trained by those who knew how. She learned to use a trident and a rope, a knife and even a slender light weight sword. Her body took on a hardened quality it had lacked while she worked for her father. She ran and swam every day and at 16 was in her top physical condition.

Her father was still trying to talk her out of going but she was determined. Her old friends were marrying her father was getting offers. She loathed the idea of a married life, she didn't want attachments. This was her chance, her escape. This year she'd spare some poor unprepared girl the trials of having to face the prospect of her own death and would take her place and seek the thrill she craved.

TheRedFear

lol For me it's a triple issue.

1) The character will likely die anyway.
2) I'm not very familiar with the setting beyond what I read in the wikis.
3) The character concept I came up with is one where I'd probably need more setting familiarity to make it make sense.

Basically the idea was sort of a "Tribute", but from a poor district(the farming one that can't feed itself). Not a real "Tribute" in the sense of being loyal to the empire and hailing from a wealthier district, but one who trained for the Games with the only weapon his poverty-stricken district could afford...his wits and his bare hands.

That's where i'm stuck though. Can't really think of who gave him this training or why. "For fame and glory" ain't doing it for me. And the extra food rations for the winning district doesn't seem sufficient motivation either. Not for a district so destitute. I can't imagine they'd get enough to have a lasting impact.

If a sensible motivation comes to me maybe i'll stop resisting.

Flower

Kokaine

*toys with the idea of making a mentor or stylist because she is a character whore*
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: LimitlessNikkie on March 13, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
I didn't want to look at this because I knew I'd be sucked in and I totally was. I can't resist putting up a character for consideration.

Hahaha, well I'm glad you did get sucked in.  Your character has been approved, and can be found in the character thread, here.  And with your character, the District 4 tributes are all taken :)

So these are the tribute positions still open:

District 1 - 1 Male Tribute spot open.
District 2 - 1 Male Tribute spot Open.
District 3 - 1 Male, and 1 Female Tribute spots open.
District 4 - No Tribute spots open.
District 5 - 1 Male, and 1 Female Tribute spots open.
District 6 - 1 Male, and 1 Female Tribute spots open.
District 7 - 1 Male, and 1 Female Tribute spots open.
District 8 - 1 Male, and 1 Female Tribute spots open.
District 9 - 1 Male, and 1 Female Tribute spots open.
District 10 - 1 Male Tribute spots open.
District 11 -  1 Female Tribute spots open.
District 12 - 1 Male, and 1 Female Tribute spots open.

Quote from: TheRedFear on March 14, 2012, 03:50:49 AM
lol For me it's a triple issue.

1) The character will likely die anyway.
2) I'm not very familiar with the setting beyond what I read in the wikis.
3) The character concept I came up with is one where I'd probably need more setting familiarity to make it make sense.

Basically the idea was sort of a "Tribute", but from a poor district(the farming one that can't feed itself). Not a real "Tribute" in the sense of being loyal to the empire and hailing from a wealthier district, but one who trained for the Games with the only weapon his poverty-stricken district could afford...his wits and his bare hands.

That's where i'm stuck though. Can't really think of who gave him this training or why. "For fame and glory" ain't doing it for me. And the extra food rations for the winning district doesn't seem sufficient motivation either. Not for a district so destitute. I can't imagine they'd get enough to have a lasting impact.

If a sensible motivation comes to me maybe i'll stop resisting.

I can help you with most of those issues.  I know the fact that character death is not only a possibility but expected of most characters can be a major turn off.  But I also feel as if it's an interesting factor, I will admit that it's mostly intriguing to those who have read the books, but I think it can be just as fun for those who haven't.  It's definitely going to be a survivalist battle oriented game, and I think the fact that all the characters could potentially die gives a certain edge to it, that wouldn't be there if all the players came in knowing their characters were all going to live.  But to balance it out, the game itself will be starting with the parade of the champions, which will than lead into a short stint with all the characters training together, learning different skills, and showing off what they can do in front of a group of those involved with the game(A.K.A me, the gamemaster.)  So there will be plenty of time to hash out your character, get used to him or her, and create pact's and deals with other characters from different districts.

As for setting, a lot of the districts have little information about them, since there are a few that are just never mentioned beyond a base description of some of the tributes that hale from them.  I can help fill in any holes though, but for the most part, if you create a character from a district with little details given in the wiki, you'll have a lot of wiggle room to make up details that would be helpful for your character.

Your idea is actually fitting for the setting, to be honest, most of the citizens from the less well off districts aren't loyal to the capitol, since their motivation to follow orders are fueled by fear more than anything else.  I'd actually suggest throwing a PM Alysanthia, since her character hails from the animal farming district, and she has a pretty good idea of the setting and plus it might give you guys a chance to come up with a possible shared history. 

As for training, when it comes to the poorer districts, it's unlikely that those chosen to be a tribute(because volunteering to be one is uncommon in these areas) would have any training.  But this is where you can get creative.  In the books, Katniss, hails from the 12th district, which is coal mining.  She didn't train for the games, didn't even want to go, if it weren't for the fact that she was trying to save her sister.  She gained her skills by sneaking out of the district(since at that time the peacekeepers were lax, and starvation was rampant) to hunt illegally for food in the woods.  She was trained by her father, who had been doing this before her, and she must have gotten a few tricks from her hunting companion.  It would actually be better, in my mind if a character from these districts don't know how to handle a regular weapon like a sword, but has some skill that can be twisted in a way that would help them survive.

As for motivation to win.  Well, those who are chosen in the poorer districts, the need to live is a big one.  Although their lives aren't the best ones, they would still want to survive.  Also, the extra food rations are great, but the champions who win get to live out the rest of their lives in wealth.  They get their own home in the Victors village(a part of the district where nice houses are built and empty until a victor comes along to claim one,) and never have to worry about money, food, or poverty.  Which can be a really big incentive for those who lived moment to moment wondering if they'd die or not. 

I hope I helped, even if just a little bit.

Quote from: Dancing flower on March 14, 2012, 09:30:47 AM
-contemplates a character-

DF, doooesss it :D

Quote from: Kokaine on March 14, 2012, 12:32:36 PM
*toys with the idea of making a mentor or stylist because she is a character whore*

Well, both mentor and stylist's are awesome, and can add flavor to the game, I say go for it. 
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

TheRedFear

Name: Valen
District: 12
Height: 6'3
Weight: 220lbs
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Skin tone: Lightly tanned
Distinguishing Marks: Calloused hands, Scarred forearms from a dog mauling
Physical Description: He does his best to hide his physical stature with slouched shoulders, and oversized clothing but to see him shirtless you would never believe he emerged from the malnourished District 11. He is muscular, athletic, and clearly far more well fed than most of his neighbors.

Dislikes: Panem. Peacekeepers. Canines.

Fears: Canines in General. Wolves very specifically. . During one of his wilderness survival exercises he became separated from Cora. A desperately hungry pack of wolves picked up his scent and hunted him for two days. Every time he thought he'd thrown them off his trail they'd pick up his scent again and continue the hunt. On the second night they cornered him in a cave and forced him into a ferocious, desperate fight for his life. Only the ironic fact that the District 11 brat was better nourished than the wolf pack gave him a fighting chance. He was still badly mauled in the ensuing struggle. Though he emerged victorious the sound of a growl, snarl, or howl has sent shivers down his spine ever since. It was his first real brush with death.

Personality: Valen has been preparing for this his entire life. He was been raised to hate the Capitol and President Snow for as long as he can remember. Though he questioned this for a time, he ultimately decided that it was right, and fair, and just to hate the Capitol and it's president. Perhaps more than anything else though Valen wants to make his mother proud, and avenge the injustices inflicted upon her. Ever since he learned how he was conceived he has harbored a sense of shame. Much of his motivation is an attempt to atone for the sins he feels that he inherited the night he was conceived.

History: Cora was a ghost. The peacekeepers had come to her farm almost two decades ago. She was the most beautiful girl in District 12. Surely such vigor and health and beauty must have meant her family was illegally hording food. Food meant for the Capitol. That was the flimsy rationale those men used to justify the drunken gang rape that spiraled even more tragically out of control and culminated in the slaughter of her entire family and the razing of her farm.

Ever since that night, men occasionally whispered of seeing Cora in the dark mists of early morning when they went to check on their crops. And every time a Peacekeeper vanished, they whispered that Cora struck from beyond the grave.

Nine months after the myth of Cora began, a newborn baby was abandoned at a farm on the edge of the district. Along with a freshly slaughtered Deer. He had only a single word stitched into his diaper. Valen. The family almost turned him away, barely able to feed themselves let alone a new mouth. But that deer would feed them for a good long time, and they did not feel right taking the meat and abandoning the child. Over the ensuing years every few months a mysterious boon of food would be found on the farm. Sometimes a freshly slain animal. Sometimes food rations that could only have been stolen from the Peacekeeper's stocks.

Over the years to follow, Valen grew up stronger and healthier than most District 12 kids, thanks in no small part to the frequent Gifts his family received from their mysterious benefactor. But Valen was a bright young man and it didn't take him long to start puzzling the pieces together. Very often, a night or two before they received their Boon...or a night or two after...one of the local District Peacekeepers would vanish. "Reassigned"...that's what the other Peacekeepers would say. But people saw the fear in their eyes. People heard the whispers of the name 'Cora'.

These occurrences kept people distracted and ensured they had bigger concerns than the fact that the people on one particular farm seemed a bit better fed than most 12's. Valen asked his 'father' one day and confirmed what he suspected. The first Peacekeepers to vanish were the ones who burned down Cora's farm. All but one who'd been reassigned to the Capitol. Valen knew in his gut that Cora was no ghost. She was real. She was alive. She was out there....and she was his mother.

Whether or not the Peacekeepers knew the truth or believed the myth the end result was the same. They were scared. Scared enough to avoid the area where Cora's angry spirit was said to prowl. It created holes in their security network Valen could slip through everyday as the child went in search of his mother. And eventually he found her. Or she found him.  Same result.

Half of her face still held the beauty that once made her famous throughout District 12. The other half was claimed by the fires that had taken both her family and her soul. And all that remained where her heart once rested was a burning lust for vengeance. Against the Peacekeepers. Against the Capitol. Against President Snow. And against Guerra...the man who had planted Valen in her womb and been fortunate enough to be reassigned before she had sufficiently recovered from the injuries he inflicted that night.

Valen looked into the cold, haunted eyes of his mother and knew without words that a choice lay before him. Turn back...return to the farm and live like all the rest of District 12...or become a weapon in Cora's war. Victim or Avenger.

He chose Avenger.

They had no real weapons to work with. Snatching a bit of food was one thing but the Peacekeeper weapon stores were too well guarded even for Cora to risk. But then Cora had always found weapons weren't really necessary if you had sharp wit, and a strong resolve. The human body can do more damage than most people think if you can overcome your instinctive squeamishness and fully commit to the death or maiming of another human being. Cora quickly found that when she hid the disfigured portion of her face it was child's play to lure unsuspecting Peacekeepers close enough for surprisingly strong fingers and sharp fingernails to dig into his eye-socket or stab at his throat with poison-dipped twigs before he knew what had hit him.

Cora taught Valen how to look weak and draw his prey in until the moment to strike was at hand. She taught him to hunt. To craft his own crude but effective bows. Sharpen his own spears and arrows. Eat his own kills without the benefit of flame that would give away his position at night to patrolling Peacekeepers. But above all she taught him that at the end of the day all that truly stood between him and death was his wit and his body. Swords and Spears could break. Arrows throwing knives deplete. But his eyes, his fists, his feet, and his brain could always be trusted to carry him through the flame if he guarded for them well and trained them daily.

They never took the weapons from the Peacekeepers they killed. As long as nothing was stolen from the dead peacekeepers that turned up once or twice a year it fueled the myth of the vengeful ghost. Nobody bothers to search for a vengeful spirit. But if they think a real flesh and blood killer is taking Peacekeeper weapons to start an armed insurgency....that they search for.

So just as Cora had learned to fight without weapons, so she taught Valen. How to kill their enemy before they ever drew steel...or how to disarm their enemy when guile was not an option. How to kill with strikes to the throat. To blind with gouges to the eyes. To disable with broken limbs or blows to the kidneys. Cora always told Valen he would never need a weapon, because he would become a weapon. Her weapon. And he embraced his role as the instrument of his mother's vengeance. He felt it was the least he owed her for the shame of having had to birth her rapist's son.

Sometimes Cora would vanish for weeks, even months at a time leaving Valen to fend for himself with what she taught him. One day she returned from one of these excursions with information from an influential source. The Peacekeeper in charge of security for this year's Hunger Games would be none other than Guerra himself. Father of Valen. Violator of Cora. She needed say no more. Valen knew only one way to ensure he went to the games this year.

undisclosedtoyou

Red, it's looking real good so far!  I hope you don't mind, but I found more pics of your guys, only because I didn't know who the hunk was, and had to find out who the hottie was.

O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

TheRedFear

Edited to make him from District 12 instead of 11 since 11 is already taken.

And no I don't mind at all Undi. You shoulda just asked and i'd have told ya :)

The actor plays Vamp/Wolf Hybrid Tyler Lockwood on the Vampire Diaries if you want to see more of him.

Niferbelle

undisclosedtoyou

Hey Red, good choice in making him from District 12, and thank you for telling me who he is!  I don't watch the vamp diaries, but I'll look out for that actor in other shows. 
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Alysanthia

Yes! More people!

*Helps Niferbelle*

Join us Dancing Flower, join us~

Flower

Lols, I'm joining. I couldn't resist after reading the book. I have been searching around for a character pic since it's easier for me to get a feel for personality with a face reference. :)

LimitlessNikkie

Flower

Flower

Name: Kainene Olaana Morgan
Division:District 11

Height:5’7
Weight: 115
Eyes:Green
Hair:Brown
Skin tone: Caramel tone
Distinguishing Marks:Scratches on her hands and arms
Physical Description: Her skin is a bit tanned from working out in the fields throughout hot summers. She's fairly small due to lack of food to go around the village, but it's the perfect size for stealth.

Dislikes:The Capitol, whips, sleep, nightmares
Fears: Whips, Trackerjackers
Personality: Before the abrupt death of her family, Kainene was a friendly girl, who was willing to give a friendly smile to anyone around her. She always enjoyed being around her small group of friends in the fields. Yet the death of her family made her cold towards anyone who might attempt to speak with her. Rather than handle her grief in a productive way, she has blocked out most of her emotions in the hopes of forgetting the pain of their deaths. She’s still plagued with nightmares of her mother’s screams.

History: Growing up, Kainene heard stories of how the world used to be from her father before Panem formed since he’d heard the stories from his own father. He hoped these tales would make his daughter have hope for the future, for something better than the meager lifestyle in front of her, but all it did was confused her. She did not understand why the Capitol sought to punish them so severely for crimes her family did not personally commit. They were put in charge of harvesting and planting a variety of different herbs and vegetables for the better districts. Her family did not live in what was considered the nice side of town so it was always difficult for them during the colder months when rain would drip from the roof. One might expect for them to eat better than others since there was a source of food around them, but there were strict punishments for eating from the trees. So every day and the random night, her family was forced to tend to the trees without having barely a bread crumb at home to eat for themselves. Due to her curiousness, Kainene got too close to trackerjacker nest. She fell from the tree trying to get away from them while running towards her mother. Both of them received stings, but her mom managed to protect her from the worse of them. To this day, she hates the sight of them due to the memory of their aggression without relenting until destroyed or calmed down with smoke. 

When her mother became sick, her father began to steal potatoes from their workplace with the hopes of helping her mother fight back against the illness. Her father never took more than necessary, just enough to feed her mother since she needed more strength to stay alive. When he was caught, the Peacekeepers whipped him until the skin on his back was ripped and raw, but he bravely continued to steal with the hopes of helping Kainene’s mother get well enough to live. He was caught two more times before one of the guards decided to kill him to set an example for the rest of the district since they did not want people getting ideas about stealing not being a serious offence. Her father was brutally killed in front of her innocent eyes, and no one could help him. Without enough food to feed her mother, she became even sicker and more miserable with each passing day. Towards the end of her life, her mother begged for death while constantly crying out in pain. The sound of it nearly drove Kainene insane.

One night, she woke up out of her sleep and suffocated her mother since the sound of the screams were too much for her to bear anymore. No one suspected her of foul-doing since everyone knew of her illness. Without her parents around to help or guide her, she became bitter and angry towards the capital, the rules, and the locals for not helping her father. Kainene no longer cares for her appearance so the once well-kept hair of her youth has become matted with dirt and other types of vermin while there are bruises on her body from getting into trouble with both locals and the capitol guards every now and then. Some people have accused her of stealing from their homes. There is no doubt in her mind that some people were happy to see her go when her name was called since she was becoming quite the nuisance.

undisclosedtoyou

Hey DF, I love her!  You'll find her CS moved to the Character thread, here.

And with that, both Tribute spots for District 11 are taken.

So these are the tribute positions still open:

District 1 - 1 Male Tribute spot open.
District 2 - 1 Male Tribute spot Open.
District 3 - 1 Male, and 1 Female Tribute spots open.
District 4 - No Tribute spots open.
District 5 - 1 Male, and 1 Female Tribute spots open.
District 6 - 1 Male, and 1 Female Tribute spots open.
District 7 - 1 Male, and 1 Female Tribute spots open.
District 8 - 1 Male, and 1 Female Tribute spots open.
District 9 - 1 Male, and 1 Female Tribute spots open.
District 10 - 1 Male Tribute spots open.
District 11 -  No Tribute spots open.
District 12 - 1 Female Tribute spots open.  The Male spot is tentatively taken.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Flower

undisclosedtoyou

O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

LimitlessNikkie

Flower

Lol, you guys should see me do my other actual dances. xD

undisclosedtoyou

Oooohhhhh, are you a dance happy DF?

And I just wanted to say, I'm hoping to get at least one Tribute from each district, before officially opening up the OOC thread.  I know that's a tall order, but the more Tributes that are played, means less NPC's I'll have to be in charge of, which is definitely a good thing.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's