Google announces a new windowing system for Linux

Started by Vekseid, July 08, 2009, 08:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html

Really, Chrome OS would be by definition a distro, but:

Google Chrome OS will run on both x86 as well as ARM chips and we are working with multiple OEMs to bring a number of netbooks to market next year. The software architecture is simple — Google Chrome running within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel. For application developers, the web is the platform. All web-based applications will automatically work and new applications can be written using your favorite web technologies. And of course, these apps will run not only on Google Chrome OS, but on any standards-based browser on Windows, Mac and Linux thereby giving developers the largest user base of any platform.

I'm really looking forward to the idea that something could finally be replacing X. Screw the rest of it, this is what Linux has been needing to be an actual desktop OS for a very, very long time.

Sarcyn

I was going to say that OS X is basically built upon a Unix base but you seem to have grasped that. What is interesting is that people are talking about Google OS as more of a rival to Microsoft and Windows rather than Apple and OS X.

I personally think a new OS is going to really struggle to crack into the Operating System market, as Apple and Microsoft have such a huge history in this field and both corporations have massive user and fan bases. That being said, I think if anyone is up to the huge challenge, it may well be Google. They certainly seem to have been practicing quite a bit with their multitude of web apps and frameworks such as Signal or whatever it's called.

Competition is always good, but I can't see myself being torn away from my beloved OS X personally. Might take a quick gander though - if I gave Windows 7 a look it only seems to fair to see what the search engine boys have been up tp.

Blank

Normally I'd find myself hot and bothered by the announcement of google's new OS.  But since I know Google is a life sucking parasite aimed to be the downfall of mankind as we know it, I'm a bit hesitant.  Ok, that was a bit over the top but I don't trust Google much.  It's bad enough they collect hoards of information on you on the internet, now they want to hand out an OS to us?  I don't know.