Legend of Korra Alternate Timeline? (Gauging Interest)

Started by Inerrant Lust, April 25, 2016, 04:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inerrant Lust

Backstory:

When Korra was just five years old, she was kidnapped by the Order of the Red Lotus. Unalaq, Zaheer, Ghazan, P'Li, and Ming-hua managed to snatch her from the clutches of the White Lotus. She was taught in the ways of the red lotus and became their most powerful agent.

Each of them taught her to bend, though Zaheer himself was not a bender- his intimacy with the air nomad culture helped Korra achieve at least a basic grasp of the technique, combining his spirituality with zeal and passion. Korra became a free spirit, utterly convinced in the Red Lotus' ideals of freedom from tyranny and rule.

This led to a falling out with Unalaq, who was increasingly becoming possessive over the young avatar. He even told her a most atrocious lie; that the Red Lotus eventually planned to kill her and end the Avatar cycle completely.

Even so, their plans must continue. Unable to show their own faces, the Red Lotus dispatches Korra to Republic City, the symbol of inequity and corruption in the world and a farce- ruled by a council of representatives who were not elected, a council that does nothing for non-benders. Her mission; topple this government of self-appointed lords.

However, another group has been lurking in the shadows, seeking to overthrow the established order. It is led by a mysterious masked man...

OOC / TL;DR:
So this is a retreading of Season 1, but with the twist. Korra's not... well, evil. Raised and trained by evil people, perhaps- but for the most part she believes the Red Lotus is just about freedom and the end of corrupt governments. She's under the assumption that they intend to do this non-lethally, ousting and/or imprisoning the 'evil' republic council.

If I may be so self-indulgent, I kind of want to play Korra- with the other players as members of the new Team Avatar. I will also GM the 'world' and antagonists, which would likely include Amon...

Due to the nature of the game, the other members will probably be OCs. You'd have to convince me if it was a canonical character...

I have a number of ideas, but feel free to come up with your own! Here's mine, at least.
-another agent of the Red Lotus sent to help her (probably an old or current flame)
-someone she meets through a chance encounter, even a triad member (Dat dapper gangster look)
-someone that rescues her from the Equalists (she does get her ass handed to her in her first encounter with chi blockers...)

I kind of want to emulate the romance subplot of the first season too, but considerably more adult.. Korra's been away from her upstanding parents all her life, raised by anarchists, and balks at social norms. I mean, she's canonically bisexual and in this situation she probably has no compunctions about casual sex with multiple partners.

TheFourthShade

Praxis

Premier

VonDoom

Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

ShadowFox89

Interested. Waterbender, owns a tea shop called the Western Dragon. Likes playing pai sho. Inerrant knows the rest.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ShadowFox89

Name: Kyou
Element: Water

Physical Description: Kyou is a waterbender from the northern tribe, dressed in a long blue skirt and a blouse with very long, loose fitting sleeves. Her black hair tends to be tied back around her neck, a slight smile sported across her lips. Underneath this modest appearance is something less so. Beneath the skirt she wears tight fitting pants, a blade tucked away on either thigh, and underneath her blouse she wears a tank top, metal pads sewn into the abdomen section.

Personality: Kyou, to those who know her, is kind and friendly, always going with the flow of things. She seems content with maintaining her little tea shop. Those who disturb the peace of the shop are quick to find out that a calm sea can become a deadly tempest, finding themselves thrown out and encased in a block of ice. While usually calm and gentle, Kyou will not hesitate to step in to defend another, but prefers violence to be the last solution.

Other information: Kyou maintains a rather quaint tea shop near the docks named the Western Dragon, where she makes good business serving travelers and sailors who seek a bit of rest and calm before moving on. Outside of the tea shop, she has few personal relations.

-

Edits to the sheet to be made as people finish their sheets. If anyone is interested in knowing Kyou, there's certainly a hook there with the tea shop.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Premier

Name: Imari
Element: Fire

Physical Description: Red Robes with gold trim and a high collar, she has long of brown hair that she keeps neat but doesn't tie up in a tail. She's tall and thin, all the better for looking down at people who are wasting her time.

Personality: Focused and Resolute. Imari works, studies and trains and that's really her life. She's got no hobbies and doesn't really get the point of them though she's not disdainful of those who do take time off, just confused as to why they'd do it. Doesn't like to spend time on a problem that could be solved with a quick application of force or a sharp word, she's direct and to the point in all things. She's not exactly world wise and can trip up when outside of a situation which doesn't have ten layers of ceremony attached.

Other Information: Her mother keeps trying to hook her up with dates, all of which crash and burn in a display of soul rending awkwardness. It's not that she isn't interested in love, just that she hasn't found anyone interesting to be in love with.

Inerrant Lust

I have an idea that might fit better if we're retreading familiar ground with a twist... Korra comes to Republic City for the same reason as she did in the show- to learn airbending. It might be Zaheer's plan to have her join the air acolytes, to learn from Tenzin covertly.

Super risky, considering that this water nation girl would suspiciously be about the same age as the missing Avatar... Then again, this is the same exact plan Zaheer himself enacted in season 3, so it's not that bizarre. He shaved his head and beard explicitly for this purpose and it took awhile for Kya to recognize him. In this timeline, he's probably got a full head of hair.

There's some pretty rad fanart to that end.

Korra might also get a haircut, since her season 1-3 hair resembles her child depiction. Must be a water nation thing. The simple thing would be to have it cut short, but I kinda want to do something different. I recall her having her hair down a number of times, but it was all mussy from fighting.

Maybe I will do some sketches just to brainstorm. Also I need to keep drawing before I get too rusty...

Just thinking aloud. :P

Praxis, Vondoom, what did you have in mind for characters?

I'll admit, canon characters kind of scare me away- though the idea of Asami siding with her dad in lieu of Team Avatar wasn't lost on me. Without Korra, the Fire Ferrets get disqualified and Bolin gets his bending taken away, poor loveable schmuck. Which... maybe, I dunno, leads to a butterfly effect in which Mako and Asami never meet and Asami is only presented with the rosiest of tinted glasses with which to look at the Equalists.

Hell, if I didn't want to avoid it so much- the whole team could go evil. Mako returns to working for the triads, Asami's an equalist, Korra's an anarchist, Bolin's... fucked, I guess. ::)

TheFourthShade

Without getting into the tournament, technically, Bolin wouldn't need to join the criminals to raise the scratch.

Kya did a pretty good job of recognizing him for being a decade out from having last seen him.  Usually good guys end up 'giving' bad guys three 'strikes' when they're in cognito.  Zaheer got two; the gates and the words of his favorite guru.

I was shocked when she jumped straight into attacking him.  What a badass; most people would have called for help first.
-----

Name: Luka
Element: Water

Physical Description: Luka's blue eyes are the only way he honors his mother.   He's tall, lithe, and fairly unblemished.  His skin is on the fair side, and his hair is dark, so it's often a surprise when he takes an angry swing at someone and they don't get roasted.  He wears his emotions plainly, and speaks loudly.  He dresses fairly plainly and simply, though he prefers to wear long sleeves and gloves.

Personality: Plain with his emotions and determined, Luka often finds himself boiling over emotionally when innocents are threatened.  Assaults against the infirmed, the weak, and youths quickly stoke his rage to an inferno.  Though he is a kind man, he is tired of feeling helpless due to who his father is and how much power the old man has over him.  He is given to trying to solve problems himself or, when engaged in jolly cooperation, carrying as much weight as possible.  He tends to hit his limits painfully, and to do his best to hide the fact that he has hit his limits.

Other: As the bastard child of Lightning Bolt Zolt, Luka has ran with the Triads in his younger days, but when he stood up to a firebending gangster about to attack a defenseless family to force a business owner to capitulate, his right arm was badly burned.  He never forgot the pain even after he healed a couple of months later, and the Triads never forgot how he stood up to them.  Even if Zolt has forbidden harm to come to either him or his mother, he has caught a few beatings from (and given a few back to) Triads who goaded him into fights.   After all, as a man he can't go running to daddy; he has to work out his own problems.

Luka has had at least one tutor on the subject of waterbending, but his grasp of the forms and techniques are relatively weak.  After Luka was injured, the tutor was dismissed by his father to discourage future dissent.  As such, the boy has mostly taught himself since then.  He cannot freeze water though, curiously, he has no trouble melting ice.

ShadowFox89

A gangster's son, an imperial princess, and a tea shop owner. Totally the start of our own Pro-Bending team.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inerrant Lust

Sounds like a good team. We got room for one more, I think, if we can get another male. ::)

Anyways, Look at this off-model shit.

Korra's hair is very angular and blocky, in all its iterations. It only loses its blockness when she gets roughed up.

It's a challenge for me to draw on-model for even my own characters, so that even with different hairstyles, it retains the look and identity of the character.

Possible outfit? Full disclosure, that's just straight up traced off of Korra's official art. LOOK AT HOW FAT HER LEGS ARE... Because the original had them big snow pants on. That's why you don't trace, it gives you bad habits! I just wanted to nail the look and I'm really rusty so there's my johns. Also, I dunno if she'd ever wear shorts. A tank top, sure, but shorts? Dunno... Was thinking she spent a lot of time moving from the Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom and might prefer airy clothing...

TheFourthShade

You say bad habits, I say tracing increases Korra's squat load from 200 to 400. 

I don't know if I can say no to this. But I don't have a lot of time lately, and I don't typically play males.

Inerrant Lust

Heh, nice avatar. ;)

I always loved that they had the balls to make Korra bi. Personally, I'd just like the cast to be diverse. It originally started as two girls and two guys, but as the seasons went on- Tenzin, Lin, Suyin and Varrick took more screen time so at times the focal point seemed to switch entirely.

5 seems like a good group- it fits the original Gaang, with Zuko's eventual heel turn.

ShadowFox89

Could always go with just one guy in the group, poor Luka then though.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inerrant Lust

My problem's not with how many characters are bi or straight or gay, but how many hot dogs we have to hot dog buns. Eh, it might just me but I always try to find a balance. I'm fine with the current roster we have, three females to a male, including Korra- but I'm hesitant to imbalance it any more. I'm much more inclined to take on another male than another female.

Tokyorose627

Hello! Is this still open? I have an OC idea that I've wnated to try for so long!!!

Latooni Subota

If you need another male, well . . I did have this silly idea from ages back about playing a male earthbender . . . whose grandfather was THE BOULDER! An underground pit-fighter who takes all comers, and could totally save Korra from some chi-blockers. Never pass up a chance to show off for the pretty girls! *Snicker*

Name: Xun Shao
Element: Earth

Physical Description: Xun Shao IS the tallest person in the room, standing at well over six feet (specifically 6'6") of muscle and (In his oh-so humble opinion) manliness. He has sharp features and prominent cheek-bones, narrow eyes, and a devilish glint in his eye. While he keeps most of his hair fairly close-cropped in a bit of a windswept style, he does keep a thin ponytail roughly reaching down to his mid-back. The tall man is one solid mass of muscle, and while he's not as big around as thugs tend to be, he packs just as much punch . . more so, in some cases. He prefers slim jackets that show off his musculature rather than protect from the cold and sturdy pants and shoes that can take a beating.

Personality: Xun Shao ("Please, ladies, call me Shan! My grandfather might be the Boulder, but I'm a whole Mountain!") considers himself to be the epitome of a ladies man, and is quite clearly the manliest of men in Republic City. He's quick with his words, a bit of a tease, and as quick as he is to crack a joke and laugh as he is to throw the first punch. Men settle things with their fists after all, and he's proud that his fists are the strongest around (Arguably)! While his bombastic personality can turn people away, he has this weird heart of gold. For every story of him getting in a drunken brawl, there's a story of him helping an old lady carry her groceries home, or him protecting a pretty girl from a mugger. He prefers to let other people do the long-term thinking, and lives his life in the here and now, his only usual concerns being who he fights next and which girls he can impress.

Other Info: Yes, Xun Shao is the grandson of THE BOULDER. Like his grandfather he has taken up the family legacy of prize-fighting, only in his day and age he does it in underground Triad arenas. He does this mainly because his drinking and flirting got him drummed out of the metalbending training course. He CAN metalbend, he just prefers not to since he doesn't like being reminded of that bit of his history. He's also an oddly talented cook . . .
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

ShadowFox89

Oh god.... I love Shan's bio....

Given his penchant for womanizing, think he'd have bumped into Kyou at some point?
Call me Shadow
My A/A