Game of Thrones/ASOIAF - King, Targaryen and House Lords/Ladies wanted!

Started by Ramael, January 26, 2011, 10:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramael

Winter is coming...

RECENT UPDATE:

Think you can rule the Seven Kingdoms?

Think you can rule...when rumours are rife that a Targaryen heir has arrived back in Westeros...and poses a direct threat to you and your house?

We have begun, King's Landing is beginning to stir with rumours and manipulation, and Winterfell is wakening to the stoic Starks.

What we need is a Baratheon King in King's Landing. He can be whatsoever personality you wish.

We also need a Targaryen heir, or heiress.

The plot is that the Targaryens have made it back to Westeros, with help from unknown sources. Unknown to the Baratheons, at least...

I'm happy for the King and Heir to play their characters however they wish, but it stands to reason that the Targaryen will be wanting the Iron Throne, that they were rightfully deposed of by the Baratheon King.

Half of Westeros may still see the Targaryen heir as the rightful ruler...especially if they have a bad relationship with the Baratheon monarch.

Post interest here or PM me for more information.

Is yours the fury?

Being as the books are so good and have a massive readerbase, and the upcoming series on Sky is due any moment now (Sean Bean as Eddard Stark...I mean I see it, but I also don't at the same time?), thought I'd throw up an interest check before the storm hits.

This is only an interest check, ideally I'd love for a couple other experienced RP'ers who are really interested to help run the game (maybe people who have the board game/who have played the RPG?) once it's on its feet, but I am literally just gauging interest for now.

My idea would be to use OC's. These characters can and should be close to the canon characters, as the canon characters will crop up in the narrative or as NPCs, but largely unaffected by the player characters. The timeline will be rolling in order of the book, so we will start off in the "time" of the first book, giving our characters time to establish themselves and develop relationships with each other before the war hits and people are forced to choose sides, either Stark, Lannister, Baratheon, Greyjoy or even the small houses etc.

I'd like freedom of choice and unique characters, so wildling characters would be encouraged alongside sellswords (although if you do choose the latter please involve yourself, the mercenary is an attractive archetype in all games but most expect the game to revolve around them!) and clansmen of the tribes whom Tyrion managed to "hire".

So, what would you be? A bannerman of the stoic Starks, proud Lannisters, Renly or Stannis' Baratheons, Tyrells, Florents, the grim ironmen of the Greyjoys? Or a wildman beyond the wall, one of Mance Rayder's closest men, or perhaps a rival to his power? Would you even rather be a spy in the service of Varys or Littlefinger in King's Landing?

For the girls, would you choose an embittered female knight character similar to Brienne? Or perhaps a feral spearwife like Ygritte? Maybe a powerful and dangerous noblewoman such as Cersei? Or one of Chataya's prized whores in King's Landing, subject to the noblest clientelle and all their noble secrets?

If people majoritively declare interest for one particular area or particular time in the books, then I have no problem altering the game to fit in with this.

George R.R Martin's world is a rich one, full to the brim with hard-fought battles of both sword and tongue, siege and subterfuge, and plenty of ripe lust. I'd love to have some people explore it further with me.

EDIT: 12/7/11
This has been updated. Please check my most recent post in this topic for more up-to-date information on what we're looking for here.

We're going for an alternate world, involving the canon Houses and families, with the players playing...who ever they want, actually, so long as they can prove influential somehow. Oh, and of course, original characters only.  :-)

Ramael

Really? No one's read any of the books? Maybe you've forgotten, here's a link to jog your memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_song_of_ice_and_fire

Also, for the more visual orientated (or maybe just those who have a thing for Sean Bean) here's a trailer for the upcoming show.

Game Of Thrones - trailer

If there are no replies after this, I shall duly let this die, which would be a shame. But I bet you'll all come crawling back after the show gets aired! :D

bloodrose

I would love to be a part of a RP that involved the world of the Song of Ice and Fire world!  I am soooo looking forward to the series.

My problem is it is such a sweeping epic story that I don't know how it would be possible to roleplay it, unless you pick one area, and set a roleplay there, within the boundaries.  Please tell me what you have in mind, I would love to be a part of it, I just don't know how!
bloodrose's Ons and Offs

KaiiVii

I love the books but like bloodrose said the setting is kinda overwhelming and I haven't finished all of the books that are out yet. (thanks for the info on the series though! Didn't know about it)
"Whatever you are, be a good one"- Abe Lincoln

On/Off/Plot/etc Thread :)

kckolbe

Definitely interested in hearing more.  I'm a fan of the books and have played the Green Ronin RPG.  Will our characters all be separate?  If so, are you expecting pvp?
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Ramael

Quote from: bloodrose on January 29, 2011, 08:14:28 AM
I would love to be a part of a RP that involved the world of the Song of Ice and Fire world!  I am soooo looking forward to the series.

My problem is it is such a sweeping epic story that I don't know how it would be possible to roleplay it, unless you pick one area, and set a roleplay there, within the boundaries.  Please tell me what you have in mind, I would love to be a part of it, I just don't know how!

Aha, interest!

Very good point. Sticking to one area would be fine I suppose, and it makes things easier to concentrate on.

I think it's feasible that we could have a game spanning all of Westeros, with a few players per house, but let that be a long-term goal if the game gets up and rolling.

I'd be loathe to make my own choice-I love all the geography and houses of the books, so I'd be happy taking a vote on where people would prefer to focus on for the time being. For a start, I personally think the timeframe of the books themselves would be better, rather than the first Greyjoy rebellion or the time of the battle of the Trident, simply because there is more source material on it.

Anyone else have any parameters they would like to play within, or ideas they would like to see involved?

Kckolbe- I'd expect a small element of freeform pvp would crop up at some point, I wouldn't like to make this a system game at all, there's the already very good RPG for that. I'm much more into the characters, how they can influence each other directly or indirectly.

Kaii-I haven't either! Just finishing the first part of Storm of Swords as we speak, no spoilers please! :D

KaiiVii

If I played it would have to be a made up, or very minor character because I don't know if I remember enough to play the cannon characters very well.

Ramael

Yup, my original post said the game would only involve OC's, as opposed to using canon characters, although I imagine they'd crop up at points depending on the game and where everyone is.

KaiiVii

Oh...right xD Temporarily forgot about that...

Ramael

No worries :D

I've been thinking, and it may be easier if we....froze an element from the books, and used that.

For example, make it during the War of the Five Kings (all good stories come amidst wars), but let's just toggle a few things here and there. These shouldn't be spoilers, unless I am a prophet of some kind.

Let's say Mance Rayder has made it over the wall and has come into contact with the Greyjoys, then House Bolton.

Let's say Renly is alive, and jostling with his brother over who has the right to lay seige to King's Landing.

With just these two things happening concurrently, it brings the continent closer together, and all the disparate factions in a closer mix, allowing for possible player characters to mingle more so.

What sayest thou?

oberkommandoderdan

I just want to say that I am interested in this idea. Please keep me informed.

Mayakterra

I'm actually quite familiar with the Ice and Fire series... I was very disappointed when the Dance of dragons was constantly delayed (Although it now has a release date!)

I'd be very interested in being involved in this RP, and if you need any help with setting/story/world modifying for putting it into RP forms let me know, I tend to be pretty good at that kind of thing.

Ramael

Thanks Maya! That's exactly what I do need, I think, because of the sheer scale of the story world.

Let's get some thoughts bouncing around. First, do we have an overwhelming majority preference for zoning in on one particular area in Westeros? King's Landing, or the Wall, for example?

Then, do we have any thoughts on timescale? It may be easier to set our story at the end of A Feast for Crows (I'm just starting it!) so that everyone is on the same page, so to speak.

Thirdly, does anyone think the hypothetical/non-canon scenario that I thought up in my previous post would actually be better than playing completely by the book? Maybe a setting that we have customised would give us greater freedom, maybe not.

Thoughts!

oberkommandoderdan

I have no geographic preference, but would it be possible to use green ronins rules?

Mayakterra

Trying to make an RP cannon is an extraordinarily hard task to do, especially on a world this scale with stories that take place all over the continent. For the sake of our RP, we can have acknowledgment of the worlds events and their effects, even the people involved... but trying to interact with the story world itself just doesn't seem plausible to me. It would basically be the equivalent of fan fiction... but then again what isn't?

That being said and recognizing it may not be canon, it might be fun to do an RP where we DO play the roles of the major characters (Cersei, Kingslayer, Tyrion etc) and start at some point in the books, and branch off on our own story maybe going off the idea "what if?" People interested could easily learn enough about their character to be able to act the part pretty well.
    Another advantage of doing that, is that characters technically could be in different places at different times and still interact in their story. They could receive word of the others actions, take messengers, etc. Not to mention there's plenty of personal drama that occurs from people being in the same place even in the books.

Alternately if we wanted to make unique characters I would discourage the wall unless the entire RP was to be of the Night Watch's battle against the lands beyond the wall. That would make for an interesting story, but it would lack the diversity of the rest of the world.

Kings landing might be a good choice, but it is limited unless everybody plays some sort of royalty or other.

One option is to start the RP at a tournament going on somewhere in westeros, right before or shortly after the war of five kings, the lord, ladies and other characters could have interactions there, and it could then arc out into the story world.

Another idea could be a smaller hedge knight, or a lesser lord that pledged fealty to the king of the north, but after the events of a storm of swords, find themselves liege-less and perhaps even castle less after a raid, and so the main people of the house become refugees trying to find some salvation in the war torn country. (So a party of a lord, lady, maester, knights, servants, pages... leaves a wide opening for characters and situations. Maybe they move formally in a large convoy, maybe they're reduced to poverty catching rabbits and trying not to starve, who knows)

Those are just a couple of ideas to throw into the brainstorming pot. <shrug>

oberkommandoderdan

Those are great ideas. I always like it when the group split into 2 or more factions and then worked together to undermine the other factions. we could be emissaries in kings landing or rival noble houses in one or two neighboring kingdoms.

Ramael

Maya, they're cool ideas. The latter stuff sounds like what's going on in the Riverlands, and Beric Dondarrion's crew at the moment.

Whatever happens, I only have two criteria, and they are that we use our own unique characters, and that there is equal role oppurtunities.

In that case, the Wall is probably out (being that all of the Night's Watch is ostensibly all men who have taken chastity vows...then again there are those trips to Mole's Town for the whores...not as interesting as other places in the books could be, though).

Im pretty upto speed with all the books now. Just coming to the end of Feast for Crows.

Enough blabbering! I'm feeling we are coming to two options for our story - the first is the situation Maya described above, a retinue of Northmen/minor Stark/Tully bannermen whom have been scattered after the war, one small group remaining together as they travel the war-torn Riverlands.

The second is the King's Landing option - now I think if we were to choose this, we use a different city to King's Landing. One of those not really seen in the books yet, maybe Highgarden? There are plenty of options for characters there, and the thing that makes this different to the first option is that a lot of the characters can have completely different objectives and still operate around each other, making for a nice tense environment. You have Lords and Ladies, their squires and servants, their pledged knights, the Maesters, the whores, the minor lords and ladies who are aspiring for power...

Personally, I'd be quite happy with either scenario, I think they both have potential.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Ramael on April 03, 2011, 08:09:42 AM
...a retinue of Northmen/minor Stark/Tully bannermen whom have been scattered after the war, one small group remaining together as they travel the war-torn Riverlands...
This appeals greatly to me.  :-)
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Ramael

Good! There's one vote. If we go down that route, we could "paralyse" the canon there. As in have the story of the first book, but from the start of our RP, things are very subject to change, and the player characters have the potential to alter things in the wider world, things won't happen as they do in the other books necessarily. This means that players who have only seen the show AND players who have read the books can play without canon clashes.

Maybe our core of players has a Lannister/Baratheon captive or captives, and once this person/these persons are ransomed, our merry little band will have the funds to return to their standing army or to go outlaw. Of course we'd need someone to play the captives, both during their capture and after they return to King's Landing/Storm's End. Depending on how they are treated, it may affect how they view the war from that point on.

The key here in this RP is that I want a balance of fighting and intrigue. We need characters that are just as powerful with their words as the other characters can be with their swords.

Primarch

QuoteA bannerman of the stoic Starks, proud Lannisters

Hmm....Stark or Lannister....its the question for me.....

TheHangedOne

I'd personally still like to play something akin to a "Wild child"who might be more the type to get into trouble with his words than get out of it.  Could be a lot better for helping the initial group navigate the wilderness, and with hunting and stuff, though.  If that'll clash, though, I'll go with something else.

Quote from: Primarch on July 10, 2011, 07:34:43 AM
Hmm....Stark or Lannister....its the question for me.....
Is that even a question?  XD Admittedly, The Imp is my favorite character on the show (I haven't read the books), but Starks are awesome.
Check out my poet tree!

tcost

If this goes anywhere, I would definitely be interested. 

I prefer the city idea myself, but if we go the Stark/Tully group idea I wouldn't mind being a Lannister captive. 
I prefer justice to irony.

Ramael

I'd prefer it if we could have BOTH situations running parallell to each other, personally, (it would make for great tension - imagine the family, lords and ladies fretting in King's Landing about getting their heir back but also making plans for the worst, each member of the Small Council out to serve his or her own interests) but it's good we've got interest for both, as I'm not sure we have players enough to run both as it stands.

THM, that's fine, I'm sure you can drum something up, some poacher constantly hiding from the king's men, serving himself and his allies. What would be his motive for helping the group though? Oh I'm sure you can sort all that out yourself.

Also, I'm thinking we should maybe start from scratch with our story, rather than follow the book at all. I think this would give us a lot more freedom and creativity. Thoughts? I think basing it in the middle of a small-scale war between two of the Houses (taking votes for these) gives us a good enough setting.

Other character types to think about (just for some juice, use them if you want but come up with your own if you fancy) -

Whisperers in King's Landing - Think of Varys and Littlefinger. They also had their own talents that won them the throne's favour.

Forgotten claimants - Maybe you're a forgotten highborn living in Braavos or similar, waiting for the time to come back to Westeros and take what's rightfully yours. Or maybe you're a bastard-born, but in the wake of the recent war, you think you have just as good a claim as any?

Minor Lord/Lady - Of one of the smaller Houses in Westeros. There's a basic guide to be found here with part 2 to that lurking somewhere nearby. Maybe you see a way to make your family better off somehow? Or maybe you're holding a grudge, one of the other houses has been responsible for the death of one of your loved ones, and you're keen on allying yourself with any other house who would help you get revenge?

Wildling - Whilst not strictly IN Westeros, if someone writes up a decent enough proposal as to why one or a group of these guys might be all the way down south, I'm prepared to think it over. Warning people about the Others/White Walkers? Pillage loot plunder? Trying to make yourself a lord? The men of the Night's Watch will be hot on your heels...

Some of these ideas are more given to one scenario or the other, and all can be either gender. Just something to think about - no need to copy exactly, I'd encourage more discussion etc.

TheHangedOne

Thinking it'd be more like my character was a member of the group already, he's just always been eccentric as hell.  Or maybe he was outcasted at some point, maybe for something he didn't do, and when he sees the rest of the Family/group lose their home, he takes sympathy on them because even after all these years, he's still loyal.  Which actually sounds a bit more ridiculous written out than it did in my head.  I'll tinker on it some more.

Well, in the series, their was the small group of Wildlings that came South because they wanted to GTFO of dodge, and were heading as far south as they could. Something similar to that could be interesting, imo; we end up displaced in the Seven Kingdoms, wandering around, trying to survive. Who knows, maybe one of the Houses (minor or not), eventually wants to take us in... for good reasons, bad reasons, or maybe a bit of both.

That's about as much as I can think of, though.

Going the Minor Lord/Lady route, I think it'd be cool to serve as one of the bannermen of Stark.   :-)

Just my own two cents, as always, take it, leave, it, do as you wish.  :D
Check out my poet tree!

fallensaviour

hmm, i get the feeling i'm not going to be able to play a dothraki in this in any feasible way