Which way do you swing?

Started by robitusinz, June 29, 2006, 12:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robitusinz

Inspired by a thought on another topic, I was wondering how people on this site stood politically.  Instead of using Democrat or Republican, let's just go with left or right on the politic spectrum so we can keep the discussion international.  I'm particularly interested in what the political-minded from other countries think on this topic.

Note, this is not really a judgemental topic...there's no right or wrong here.  Just feel free to say where you think you stand and give a few examples.

Personally, I consider myself to the left of center, or a liberal moderate.  The ideal I most adhere to is individuality, which is a decidedly centrist view, considering that moving to either of the extremes of the political spectrum ALWAYS results in a certain loss of individuality.  Going with that, though, privacy is also important to me, and I think that's a concept that liberals handle better than conservatives.  In essence, I think people should just live and let live, and help out your fellow man when he needs a hand.  Nothing too extreme...I'm not advocating taxes that'll choke people to death, or widespread communism...but I do beleive in giving a modest amount of my resources for the good of everyone in general.

Left  <---------------------------------------------------Me---------Center--------------------------------------------------------------> Right
I'm just a vanilla guy with a chocolate brain.

Apple of Eris

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -3.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.51
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Swedish Steel

I do advocate widespread communism!
Well, not really, but by your American way to see things I might aswell be. :)
I should place myself slightly to the left of the Swedish centre, probably putting me alot to the left on the American scale.
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

Lirliel

Hmm, as far as going to Holland's political agenda I consider myself right wing, not an extremist but not very far from it in my own country. As far as if I where living in America I would have been branded with a swastika a long time ago (Bit of an exaggeration)
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Apple of Eris

Are you kidding? As conservative as this damn country is? Maybe you'd fight ight in with george and he neo-con bastard bunch. *smirk*
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Ellyssa

I sort of mix and match myself. I don't know where I stand, really, I can agree with some things that all parties do and hate some things that they all do. Vote for me. ;D

Lirliel

Quote from: appleoferis on June 29, 2006, 12:16:15 PM
Are you kidding? As conservative as this damn country is? Maybe you'd fight ight in with george and he neo-con bastard bunch. *smirk*

Well I did support Bush's desicision to enter Iraq and destroy Saddam's goverment and the military, what I didn't agree on was him sticking around, making a second vietnam war (often made refference) out of it. This time not because they where communists but because America needed a source of cheap oil! At least in my eyes best thing they could do, just pull everyone out of Iraq and Afghanistan and let them all get the fuck on with there lives. If these ignorant fuckheads don't care that you guys are trying to help them fuck em let them die!
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

robitusinz

Quote from: Lirliel on June 29, 2006, 12:14:27 PM
Hmm, as far as going to Holland's political agenda I consider myself right wing, not an extremist but not very far from it in my own country. As far as if I where living in America I would have been branded with a swastika a long time ago (Bit of an exaggeration)

That's interesting.  Do you have any examples of what you think would make you an extreme rightist?  I mean, what topics are you very conservative about?

robitusinz

Quote from: Lirliel on June 29, 2006, 12:22:31 PMAt least in my eyes best thing they could do, just pull everyone out of Iraq and Afghanistan and let them all get the fuck on with there lives. If these ignorant fuckheads don't care that you guys are trying to help them fuck em let them die!

I think the majority opinion in the US is swinging against the current occupation of Iraq.  I still don't think the country's getting any more liberal, though.

Lirliel

Quote from: robitusinz on June 29, 2006, 12:23:24 PM
That's interesting. Do you have any examples of what you think would make you an extreme rightist? I mean, what topics are you very conservative about?

Hmm, like I said I'm not extremly rightwing! I am however a rightwing person, I thoroughly believe in not allowing more people into our already overcrowded nation and putting a fucking halt on these east european bastards who come over here stealing good honest people's jobs by undercutting our wages! All there good for is making us bleed and whimper, I had trouble even landing a steady job because three fucking guys who applied for the job where foreigners who couldn't even talk normal dutch! Luckily I had enough skills to get the job, but if I didn't hell I'd be sitting in my home chewing on a piece of wood because good honest working people get the shaft and there country and goverments sits there and goes *snort* if you want to live.. get a job. Which we all cry and wail about, WE CAN'T YOU FUCKHEADS BECAUSE THOSE DAMN EX-COMMI BASTARDS KEEP STEALING OUR JOBS!

That is at least one of the points I think we should close the fucking book on, look out for your own people and let the rest manage. Where a country not a whore that lets other non-countrymen come and suckle on our wealth, draining it and then laughing and running home to there own country. Fuck these assholes, there destroying us from the inside out.

Quote from: robitusinz on June 29, 2006, 12:24:59 PM

I think the majority opinion in the US is swinging against the current occupation of Iraq. I still don't think the country's getting any more liberal, though.

Hmm, there are some tough descisions that need to be hacked in the world and Iraq is one of those descision. Great we help you, you don't want it fuck off and die end of story! At least, that's my view on the matter

Apple of Eris

OOoh, when liriel gets all political like this it makes me hot and bothered. I'm tempted to go to hollandnow and steal a job! *wink*

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

robitusinz

Quote from: Lirliel on June 29, 2006, 12:29:59 PM
Hmm, like I said I'm not extremly rightwing! I am however a rightwing person, I thoroughly believe in not allowing more people into our already overcrowded nation and putting a fucking halt on these east european bastards who come over here stealing good honest people's jobs by undercutting our wages! All there good for is making us bleed and whimper, I had trouble even landing a steady job because three fucking guys who applied for the job where foreigners who couldn't even talk normal dutch! Luckily I had enough skills to get the job, but if I didn't hell I'd be sitting in my home chewing on a piece of wood because good honest working people get the shaft and there country and goverments sits there and goes *snort* if you want to live.. get a job. Which we all cry and wail about, WE CAN'T YOU FUCKHEADS BECAUSE THOSE DAMN EX-COMMI BASTARDS KEEP STEALING OUR JOBS!

That is at least one of the points I think we should close the fucking book on, look out for your own people and let the rest manage. Where a country not a whore that lets other non-countrymen come and suckle on our wealth, draining it and then laughing and running home to there own country. Fuck these assholes, there destroying us from the inside out.

Now, question, are these illegal immigrants, or legal immigrants?  We definitely have a problem in the US with illegal immigrants too, and on that particular issue, I'm straddling the fence.  In fact, I pretty much agree with the fence-straddling proposal Bush put out.  I beleive we should have stricter border control, but at the same time, be able to facilitate assimilation for the illegals already in the US.  This would resolve the issue of "illegals taking American jobs", since the reality for us is that illegals get such cheap wages simply because employers CAN pay them that little...a lot of illegals with a "job" in this country work at virtual slave wages, when you consider they need housing and food, and the illegals can really do nothing about it because they're here illegally.  If we can get the illegals to be legal residents, they would at least fall under minimum wage laws, and would have basic legal rights against being treated like mules.  I don't think anyone comes to the US illegally and says, "Wow, it's great to be getting paid less than half of what others make for the same job"...given proper rights, they would compete for the same wages as any other worker.

Quote from: Lirliel
Hmm, there are some tough descisions that need to be hacked in the world and Iraq is one of those descision. Great we help you, you don't want it fuck off and die end of story! At least, that's my view on the matter

Sounds like a plan to me, I wouldn't argue.

Lirliel

Quote from: robitusinz on June 29, 2006, 01:02:05 PM
Now, question, are these illegal immigrants, or legal immigrants? We definitely have a problem in the US with illegal immigrants too, and on that particular issue, I'm straddling the fence. In fact, I pretty much agree with the fence-straddling proposal Bush put out. I beleive we should have stricter border control, but at the same time, be able to facilitate assimilation for the illegals already in the US. This would resolve the issue of "illegals taking American jobs", since the reality for us is that illegals get such cheap wages simply because employers CAN pay them that little...a lot of illegals with a "job" in this country work at virtual slave wages, when you consider they need housing and food, and the illegals can really do nothing about it because they're here illegally. If we can get the illegals to be legal residents, they would at least fall under minimum wage laws, and would have basic legal rights against being treated like mules. I don't think anyone comes to the US illegally and says, "Wow, it's great to be getting paid less than half of what others make for the same job"...given proper rights, they would compete for the same wages as any other worker.

Sounds like a plan to me, I wouldn't argue.

Hmm... these people that come into our country are coming here because of our open border policy, walk in, steal our jobs and money and wander back to your own country. Except that almost every other country in Europe is saying FU! against these people, but holland NO... we have to be the good people.. *sighs*... where was the Golden Age of Slave driving, World sailing Holland..

RogueJedi

I am a conservative libertarian.  I tend to side with the right about 90% of the time.  I come from an old military family and also from the South.

Two things make me angrier than anything else.  Illegal immigration and gun control.

Illegal immigrants are for lack of a better term, ILLEGAL.  That means they are breaking the law.  As a Texan, I find it laughable that members of Congress from Massachusetts are telling us how to deal with illegals and how we have to respect them.  Forget that.  Every poll I have seen, and everyone I have talked to in border areas, especially legal immigrants from Mexico, are VERY much against illegal immigration.  It's time for the politicians to do something about it.

Gun control on the other hand is unconstitutional as far as I am concerned.  We have the right to carry guns, and I will.  Besides, if you outlaw guns, the criminals are still going to have them.  If I am not mistaken, the English learned that in the last several years.  So, as a card-carrying member of the NRA, leave my guns alone!

National Acrobat

I am also a Conservative Libertarian, who agrees with the Right on about 80% of the issues.

Where I disagree with them mostly is their attempt to trample the constitution when there is a behavior that they do not like personally, so they believe it must be either abolished or regulated.

Illegal Immigration, Gun Control and Taxes tend to be my hot button issues.

Neither major party understands the budgetary concerns and spending anymore however, which is another huge issue.

robitusinz

Quote from: Lirliel on June 29, 2006, 01:32:50 PM

Hmm... these people that come into our country are coming here because of our open border policy, walk in, steal our jobs and money and wander back to your own country. Except that almost every other country in Europe is saying FU! against these people, but holland NO... we have to be the good people.. *sighs*... where was the Golden Age of Slave driving, World sailing Holland..

Ah, I see.  That is a unique issue that I don't really have the point of view to discuss.  My first instinct is to question this open-border policy, but I have no way of judging how it affects the country in general, aside from the issue you're mentionning here.  Hmmm...an interesting situation.  I'll leave it at that, can't say much else.

robitusinz

Quote from: National Acrobat on June 29, 2006, 02:43:31 PM
Neither major party understands the budgetary concerns and spending anymore however, which is another huge issue.

Honestly, I would say this is the true heart of all party division in the US.  The budget.  Since you money isn't limitless, you need to choose what to cut and what to fund, and your (general) party affiliation is primarily based upon what you think should be cut or what should be funded.  All causes in the US move forward solely on the back of cash.  I don't think there's an issue you can come up with that doesn't have money as its most basic need.

In general, I prefer to fund domestic programs...welfare, social security, healthcare, etc...and remain domestic-focused as opposed to foreign-focused.  I'm more of an isolationist when it comes to the rest of the world.  I don't support wars, regardless of their need.  I basically think that if the US would stop fucking with other countries, they'd leave us the hell alone.  We only need enough military to defend our shit...no need to be going out and actively attacking anyone.  In my opinion, if no one's trying to invade us, then all of our soldiers should be in training, safe and secure.

I'm also against gun control, not because I have any particular hard-on for guns, but because I think the gov't needs to leave people the fuck alone.  However, I do beleive that there needs to be a bureaucratic buffer in place, just to keep every dumbass from owning one.  In my opinion, those who are gun enthusiasts (and I know plenty) would have no qualms about waiting 3 days for their latest piece, and I have no problems against them acquiring said piece.  However, the same 3 day buffer would probably delay your average nut from getting pissed off at his wife, going to Walmart, then going home and shooting up said wife and whoever else happens to be around.  I do agree that criminals will get guns no matter what, but I don't beleive in making it *that* easy.  Going by the gun enthusiasts who I know personally, I don't think this viewpoint is unreasonable.

RubySlippers

I would say Right on pretty much all issues. Not neo-conservative I'm a traditional conservative. As in proper spending of money by the government to meet the needs of the people in the most efficient manner, smaller government, States Rights, balance of powers, going to war when we HAVE TO send our troops to war and that should be the last option, government acting when needed for the best interests of the people, right to privacy, keeping religion out of political decisions, taxing as needed to fund necessary programs and sound common sense public policy.

I believe the government is to serve the people not we serve the government.

Some things I do feel have to be handled by the Federal Government- health care might be better overseen at the Federal level in some manner better.

I believe also that government has a limited role environmentally to protect humans and our fundamental resorces- air, drinking water and food production but not to put animals ahead of humans. Wise-use means USING natural resources in the best way to sustain humans in this country.

And I believe lastly if a person comes here to stay they better lean english and assimilate into the American Experiement we should not cater to them. We should have work vistas for people that want to work then go home in a good system. And illegal immigrants are ILLEGAL so kick them out!

robitusinz

Quote from: RubySlippers on June 29, 2006, 03:09:25 PM
I would say Right on pretty much all issues. Not neo-conservative I'm a traditional conservative. As in proper spending of money by the government to meet the needs of the people in the most efficient manner, smaller government, States Rights, balance of powers, going to war when we HAVE TO send our troops to war and that should be the last option, government acting when needed for the best interests of the people, right to privacy, keeping religion out of political decisions, taxing as needed to fund necessary programs and sound common sense public policy.

I believe the government is to serve the people not we serve the government.

Some things I do feel have to be handled by the Federal Government- health care might be better overseen at the Federal level in some manner better.

I believe also that government has a limited role environmentally to protect humans and our fundamental resorces- air, drinking water and food production but not to put animals ahead of humans. Wise-use means USING natural resources in the best way to sustain humans in this country.

And I believe lastly if a person comes here to stay they better lean english and assimilate into the American Experiement we should not cater to them. We should have work vistas for people that want to work then go home in a good system. And illegal immigrants are ILLEGAL so kick them out!

Eh, to me, that sounds like you swing left.  And, going by other posts I've seen of yours, you do seem pretty left.  You beleive the most important things (like health care) should be taken care of Federally.  States would essentially take care of the unimportant junk...the everyday stuff.  If you care any about the environment, then you're also left.

I might put you as a moderate, though.  Like most typical Americans, you have issues that are important to you, and others that aren't.  Overall, on the stuff you care about, you seem to rather left, but you're ok with a conservative control over the day-to-day junk you don't care about.

RubySlippers

Not really I think the federal government can guide health care reform but it should still be the states to figure out how to have it more a shared responsibility. I oppose wasting taxpayer money a conservative viewpoint. I think the states should APPOINT Senators as per the original mandate of the Constitution. I oppose Gay Marriage as a Federal issue that should be left to the States to decide. I oppose Abortion Rights but again think each STATE should decide on the practice of medicine including abortion. Above all on the government being run soundly and unbiased to be in the best interest of the people the leaders are sworn to SERVE. I think most feminists are NUTS I believe strongly women are not victims, are not under some attack by a Patriarchy and should stop whining and focus on being leaders and mothers and workers and the equal to men with strengths and weakenesses to them. Many leaders of the movement make me sick.

robitusinz

Quote from: RubySlippers on June 29, 2006, 03:48:23 PM
I think most feminists are NUTS I believe strongly women are not victims, are not under some attack by a Patriarchy and should stop whining and focus on being leaders and mothers and workers and the equal to men with strengths and weakenesses to them. Many leaders of the movement make me sick.

LOL...you've obviously never been involved in the corporate world.  I'm a lowly grunt, and I've probably done a few things that would classify as sexual harassment, not to mention all the stuff I've witnessed from guys above that could easily get hit with a discrimination suit and win.

If you truly think women are on equal footing with men where it counts...not just the lip service people pay to "equality"...then you are way naive.

Moondazed

Quote from: RubySlippers on June 29, 2006, 03:09:25 PM

Ahh... a perfect example of the right's habit of naming something exactly what it ISN'T!  Wise-use... yeah right, right up there with the Clean Air Act.  It's about balance: balance between man and nature, between human and animal, and at the point you upset the balance you risk being shaken off like a bit fat tick.

Just my humble opinion... you could say the environment is my hot button issue :)
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

alahendra

This may be the ultimate in cynical viewpoints, but I do take comfort in the belief that once we  humans destroy our environment and thus destroy ourselves, the earth will ultimately recover and go on without us. I'd like to believe that we'll learn some day.  I loved Star Trek (the original series, Shatner's overacting and all) when I was a kid, but the older I get, the less Roddenbury-esque is my point of view on humanity as a whole...
"You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan
Designed and directed by his red right hand..."

Os & Os: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5351.0

Sugarman (hal)

true liberal in most every social foreign issue. However I have mostly gone conservative with the issue of capital punishment. Still believe that "All you need is love"
"And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love you make."

My On/Off's

Apple of Eris

I used to be conservative on the death penalty, now I'm liberal. Especially with these DNA tests that are exonerating death row inmates. Death is permanent, if we screw up we can't bring that person back. And, I can't bring myself to support that, even if it only happens once it is too many times for me.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking