Historical (Rome)

Started by Lithos, June 23, 2008, 05:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lithos

I have had this idea in my head that would suit for group of people rather than just small setting. The idea would be a game set in the glorious growing days of empire of Rome. Players could cover one prominient family, with their allies and slaves for example. There would be also need for some people to play key characters for opposing families that might be encountered.

Storyline wise this could allow for good bit of suspense and political intrigue specially if we pick exact time the game happens just right. Action wise it could provide some nice battles for those interested in them (we would need to agree about system in that case). Finally, sex / kink wise this game could suit pretty much anything that people in this site might be interested in. Most things that are done today were invented then after all ^^.

People interested in different things could fill different roles in the game and thus have content that cater for their interests. It would require some knowledge of the time period, people and history from people involved, I could try and provide the information for those who have it lacking. Most of all it would require interest in the time period and setting, knowledge needed is easy enough to gain.

If there are people who would be interested in playing at such a setting, perhaps even GM:ing it and such, please post in this thread :)

- Lithos
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Pixilicious

Sounds like fun..how can I get in on this? :) 
Be a girl with a mind.  A woman with attitude. A lady with class

RubySlippers

I will I'd love to play a Dori a prostitute of higher status that often travels around nude and are noted for their exceptional beauty. Maybe a priestess of their patron goddess Flora as well although clearly a ceremonial role with no magic in the game but would likely have studied herbs and some of the healing mysteries useful to harlots.

Lithos

Will propably take good while before anything can be started, need to get some more people interested, see about characters and the setting and ton of other things, anyone interested will be welcome.
--

Pixilicious

Quote from: Lithos on June 25, 2008, 10:13:16 AM
Will propably take good while before anything can be started, need to get some more people interested, see about characters and the setting and ton of other things, anyone interested will be welcome.

Ahh..thank you..I'm trying to get people to warm up to my own role..but so far no such luck..

Cecilia

This sounds like it has possibilities...in terms of gaming, I'm not quite sure of the technical aspects, so I am not interested in GM or anything like that.  Am much happier to post and have you PM me with coaching along the way...I am new to this whole format.

I'd love to do some writing where I'm not just writing the complete domme bitch--but a woman in control of her household, with a strong man in her life--an equal match...perhaps the wife of a strong general who can handle her hiring misspixie's character while he's away fighting battles?  (Along with a few other of her friends?)   :)  And a wife who's not afraid to poison her husband's guests should he need that kind of help in his ascension to power?  Age anywhere between 30-45....

Rome...which era? Near the fall? Near the height of Cesarean intrigue?   I will need to do research as I go--so posting would be once a day?  (I have kids, they are out of school for summer...sigh.)

Lithos

Essentially I want it to be what ever players want it to be:

- System / no system
- No sex, vanilla, bdsm, nc
- One big plot, several small ones, no much plot at all

Everything depends on what people who like the setting want :p

I think that post frequency should be once a day max or even more sparse in general, and also think if we get a lot of people, we should splice it a bit to easier to update lines so that everyones playing does not depend on one persons posts.

Historically, in sense of competition between families and inner conflicts, times just before Julii familys reign starting might be interesting (pre-caesar). But there are good elements in most periods, would be nice get potential player input for this too.
--

Cecilia

Competition between families and inner conflicts--jut pre Julii family would be fun....I'd love toread some good books on the subject...any particular suggestions, Lithos?

Personally, I'm definitely wanting to write with sex as a feature--but usually it is better to have plot-driven sex vs.  gratuitous scene after scene after scene...The build up to an encounter is usually the most fun to write for me personally.  I also like character driven story writing...motivations! Please...
So, please on the adult board!

Yes, to a game that takes its time....

Pixilicious

Quote from: Cecilia on June 25, 2008, 01:15:14 PM
Competition between families and inner conflicts--jut pre Julii family would be fun....I'd love toread some good books on the subject...any particular suggestions, Lithos?

Personally, I'm definitely wanting to write with sex as a feature--but usually it is better to have plot-driven sex vs.  gratuitous scene after scene after scene...The build up to an encounter is usually the most fun to write for me personally.  I also like character driven story writing...motivations! Please...
So, please on the adult board!

Yes, to a game that takes its time....

I agree Cecilia..I'm the same way, however, not many takers for my idea

Lithos

Just need to be patient and let it be there for a while, and takers come :)
--

MagicalPen

I could be drawn into this one I think...

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Lithos

For those who seek information, Ancient Rome portal of wikipedia is unbelievably detailed these days. If you have time to spend you can find amazing wealth of information from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Ancient_Rome
--

Cecilia

I'll spread the word to other's I'm writing with, too...Looks like MagicalPen is here already.   :-*

Haibane

This is starting to have some appeal now, though I think you really need to drive the organisation and purpose/plot of the game a little more, it does seem to be rather adrift without much direction ATM: fix the timeframe, fix the military conquests setting (is Rome expanding or collapsing?, is she militarily stagnant and trading?), fix the basis of the intrigues - is this infighting within one family or a rivalry between two houses, and if so for what? controlling voices in the senate? to appoint their general of choice to head up the next campaign?

How close to ancient Rome do you intend to go? It being a patriarchal society, women are effectively reduced to objects or at best powerful schemers behind the scenes influencing the actual decisions of the senators and generals.

My tendency is to play a slighty ahistorical character: a female warrior, a horsewoman, a noble captured in battle in a previous campaign against perhaps the Gauls or Germanic tribes and brought to Rome as spoils of war. She is a slave for some two years but eventually showing her capabilities as both soldier and diplomat is granted her freedom and is now affiliated to a noble house as both a bodyguard and political advisor. By the customs of the day she has been fully adopted into that family.

Her role would be physical bodyguard, political advisor and 'earpiece' to her patron and perhaps concubine also although initially that might not be a significant role. She would be capable of all dutes from bath attendant, through tutor for the children, to conversationalist, to defender to, even perhaps, assassin. Her patron could be male or female ;) I see her sexuality as ambiguous (though not extending to horses)  :o

Lithos

This is very much alof still specially since it is still only an game idea. As I mentioned in the starting post, it would be nice to have a GM for this as well. I am so much stuck running games on table tops and the like IRL, that I would like to just enjoy playing for once. Either that or just crafting possible ideas. I am checking who are interested about what at the moment with this thread, do not expect it to materialize to actual game really quick.
--

Hanna

Id be interested in this, it sounds fun :D

I was thinking about playing a slave from _____ (not really sure yet) that is a slave to a mistress (preferably) in a noble house. Think a maid, cooking, cleaning, whatever is asked of her. From what ive read, slaves were also punished (etc) for the smallest things, so that could provide some interesting scenes. Ah but please, read my Ons and Offs first...

Samhain

Sign me up I could have alot of fun with this.

Lithos

Getting to have good bunch of interested people. From what experience I have of group games from having a look at various that are running right now though. They seem to have problem of always stalling after a while, and when it is about interaction of several characters, someone in key role going missing for longer while can cause huge stall for everybody.

So, I am wondering would it be a good thing to even try to make centrally run game, or would it be better to write a setting with some people and families and general description of relations between them, people making their characters to that, and then simply explode it rather to several one on ones. In that way everyone would get something out of it guaranteed.

QuoteHow close to ancient Rome do you intend to go?

I have no problem with going as close as is possible, but need to find some line about that that is suitable for everybody. It is patriarchal, violent, and harsh society in many ways. Yet still very successful and productive even in arts that usually require liberal atmosphere. This is what I like about it. I do not mind it changed to more politically correct either though. And if we break up games within the setting a bit, then people could play it at level each feels comfortable at.
--

Hanna

Ah im not sure. The second option sounds good, so everybody would make their own threads when needed right?

And what do you want for Bios?

RubySlippers

Well Rome was not that bad for the common rank and file Roman they had women in business and religions also gave a path to power with the many odd cults and sects in Rome, its the wealthy and powerful that were far more restricting on women. Even then a Patrician woman could enter a faith and get more freedom.

For Bios how about keep it simple?

NAME
status and nationality of origin
appearance
personality
general skills
short history

What is more important is when to set this?

Cecilia

After seeing how some of these multi-player games tend to get difficult to follow in one thread, I could almost see the thread that Lithos "controls" as a narration thread...It's mostly written as summary of events that lead players to their own individual threads...We can post on it to summarize where folks are plotwise...I'm not sure if this makes sense, but it seems once individual players play out much of a scene, the main thread gets sort of unwieldy....

Anyway, I'm up for any time period...Lithos, you could probably just pick your favorite and lead on as the GM....

RubySlippers

I like that it would be handy to have a narrative thread.

Haibane

I've played games in a single thread with up to 20 players in multiple locations. Its fine, never gets unwieldy, never sees one scene delaying others, you just make the time flow slightly flexible... I'm a big fan of single thread MP games.

EDIT: I should add that the GM puts in posts from a Narrator at suitable points to keep the flow of play focused or to jump the game on a day or few days

MagicalPen

From personal experiance, having several different things going on in one thread is far too confusing. I have avatars turned off, so its very hard to find my 'partner' in the thread and it becomes easy to lose track of posts etc. Its far better to split things up.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Haibane

Easily solved by putting your character name at the top of each post, or a small avatar ;)