Skull and shackles (PF Looking for active posters) recruitment closed

Started by Tamhansen, March 11, 2019, 11:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamhansen

As you wake up, you feel a sharp pain in your head. Last thing you remember you were in Port Peril, the unofficial capital of the shackles. You remember having a good night, then, darkness. As you open your eyes, you notice the room is bobbing up and down, that must have been some drink. As you look around, still groggy, you notice you aren't alone. Five other figures are around. All naked, all seemingly as dazed as you

Alright, so I'm looking to try this old beauty again, but with some changes. Before applying, please read the rules below. They are very important.

1) I need active posters, people able to post most days, several times is okay, but not necesary, but I do expect a minimum of five posts per week. Of course there is leeway for periods where you're busy or unwell, but...
2) Communicate, communicate, communicate. If you are busy or unwell, just let us no. No details needed, just a simple, I won't be able to post (as much) for (estimated period)
3) If you're away for an extended period (more than 2 weeks) , or permanently, you give permission to the GM's to post on your behalf. In case of permanent departure we will ride your character out and replace you. In case of long term break, we'll keep writing to a minimum, (mostly combat rolls, and simple lines) and will keep in line with your established character to the best of our ability.
4) Currently we have two GM's, me and lillisa. We both play a character as well. We are open to other players joining as GM's as well, if they so wish. Having more GM's will enable us to move faster without losing quality.
5) No need to hand in full sheets. Just a short background (or a long one if you prefer) including name, sex, age, class and race, and how you came to be in port peril. We'll handle sheets later. Lisa and I will choose classes and race once the group is selected.
6) Sexual classification will be non-con exotic. Though we have no intention of introducing non-con encounters at this time, players are free to make their own choices, and who knows, as a group we might change our minds.
7) As always, rule seven is rule seven. Don't take the piss. This means don't ridicule, demean or incite fellow players. Any issues with other players, please settle in pm, or talk to me and I'll act as a mediator.

If this game looks like fun to you, and you feel you can live with these rules, then please apply. This will not be a first come first served, but we would like to start shortly.

As per request, some clarification on character buidling.
All characters must be built with Paizo sources.
All classes are acceptable
race must be humanoid, and not have natural wings.
We will use point build, 20 or 25, still up for debate
2 traits, one must be from the S&S campaign
flaw can be chosen to pick a third trait.

All other things can be discussed in group.

As for alignments and directions, the ultimate goal is for the players to become a major force in the area, so they'll likely want to build a larger fleet. Making a treacherous murdering psychopath would be rather counterproductive. Pirates tend to be rather lawful, adhering to the code, but that's not a given. Personally I'd like characters to have neutral or good alignment, but we can work around differences.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

PhantomPistoleer

Withdrawn.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Chulanowa

Laughing Ocelots

I would be interested as well. I’ll put together a character in the next few days, hopefully.

Zaer Darkwail

I voice interest as well. Probably joining with my Besmara inquisitor concept (sort pirate fanboy who got taken in finally). A half-elf who had born/lived in dock city.

HopeFox

I think I'd be interested in this! Skull and Shackles is an intriguing adventure path. I think I can handle a higher posting rate game, but:

Quote from: TamhansenI need active posters, people able to post most days, several times is okay, but not necesary, but I do expect a minimum of five posts per day.

To clarify, is that five posts per week, or five per day?
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=358012.0

Tamhansen

ons and offs

HopeFox

Then I'm definitely interested! If you don't mind having me in two of your games, of course.

Do you have any guidance on PC alignments? I'm vaguely aware that Skull and Shackles can have the PCs turn into ruthless piratical types, or not, and it would be awkward if half the party went that route and the other half didn't want to. I have some exciting ideas for either flavour of PC, so I'm open to whatever suits best.

PhantomPistoleer

Withdrawn.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Zaer Darkwail

Char defining quotes;

"Me I’m dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly, its the honest ones you want to watch out for because you never know when they are going to do something completely stupid!"
- Jack Sparrow

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! You know, I just... *do* things."
- The Joker

"Heaven, you fool? Did you ever year of any pirates going thither? Give me hell, it's a merrier place..."
- Thomas Sutton

Background/Origin: Reynald Bo'roscoe (link to old sheet, can update it fast) was born as street urchin in dock city, living day by day without too much grander goals in life than earn enough coin to eat and survive. One day though he happened come across a merchant and a assassin in alley, accidentally as he was thrown out from tavern through back door. The merchant wished no witnesses for it's dealing with assassin so assassin had simple task just kill Reynald and he ran fast as he could! However assassin was closing in for the kill when suddenly there was thunderous sound and assassin fall dead....by random stray bullet fired by drunken pirate who had tried show off shooting skills with thrown mug.

Taking this as no other sign than from Besmara itself, he stolen much coin as he could to pay for a mentor. A mentor who teaches into ways of Besmara. He found a small temple of Besmara in city and there he paid (bribed) the cleric of Besmara to teach him. The cleric taught Reynald and in just a year he took his oaths as inquisitor of Besmara, her divine agent in the world. Since then he had sought join a crew but so far no pirates had shown up in the city, so he hangs around in bar telling daring seafaring stories which features pirates (Barroom Talespinner), until during one nicer tales he was offered free drinks and he felt slipping out and passing out unconscious....his destiny finally taking him onto pirate crew.

Top Secret Background Info
Reynald's true last name is Basador, he is from rich Basador merchant family which has nice running business with sea trade and overall was born with golden spoon in his mouth. However all debauchery and rich wealth Reynald felt empty inside, so he went find excitement in 'slumming' as street urchin and act as if he was born poorer class than he truly was. Otherwise his background is true that he got lucky and he saw it divine sign by Besmara that his life was saved from assassin by drunken pirate shot; far too weird lucky chance to not just be pure luck. But signal for divine calling.

He spend his own money (what father gave to him without asking much questions about it, presuming it sinked to girl he fancied) for mentoring in Besmara temple where he got training and divine magic awakened in him and he formed bond with a parrot (familiar).

Chulanowa

Are there any restrictions on race? I for one hope it's not another "humans and elves only" thing... :-)

Tavarokk

Could you post character design rules regardless, at least the general outline? Something like mandatory stat rolling instead of point buy would be a deal-breaker for example, so it'd help to know in advance.

Zaer Darkwail

If rolled or if starting 1st level instead 2th both affect my charsheet example as well. Or that no flaws are allowed to be taken for 3th trait.

Tamhansen

Stats are point but, we're still debating 20 or 25. Races we're not too concerned with, just needs to be humanoid, and no wings.

We start at first level. As for traits, not sure yet but probably book standard including the flaw.
ons and offs

HopeFox

If you're open to occult classes, I'd really like to have a go at a kineticist. It's an interesting and strange class that looks like it could be a lot of fun, and a water kineticist could work very nicely in a naval adventure. Yes, I've seen Aquaman recently, why do you ask?

Sara Beaconsfield, Princess of the Sea!
Female half-elf kineticist, 21 years old

According to Sara's human mother, her father was a prince of an underwater kingdom of aquatic elves, who came to Port Peril to look for a bride. Nobody actually believes her, but the patrons of the small tavern where she works as a barmaid and assistant brewer humour her regardless, and were happy to call little Sara the "sea princess" her mother insisted she was.

Regardless of the precise details of her parentage, there is no denying that there is more than a touch of the sea in Sara's ancestry, between her faintly webbed fingers and toes and her ability to conjure and purify water without any magical training. For now, she works at the same inn as her mother, serving drinks and running errands, but sometimes she finds herself gazing out to sea, wondering if there really is a kingdom out there for her...

MingMing

I'm definitely interested!

I've already got a concept based on the infamous Ching-Shih, who'll be a human female Tian bard for my playthrough. 

I'm going to go with the Buccaneer Bard Archetype.  I have a pretty good idea of the build I will use, and I hope not to double up over on anyone else's special ideas.  I'm thinking I will start with the Trap Finder Trait to help the group, and  probably develop towards earning an Animal Companion that's aquatic, as well as the Aquatic Bloodline through Eldritch Heritage. 

Shar-Ming-Fu
Female Human
18 years of age
Bard (Buccaneer)
w/ "Touch of the Sea"

Filled with hazy dreams of a past she cannot quite remember, Shar-Ming-Fu went to sleep in Port Peril with only the memories of three gold pieces pressed under her tongue, clutching a tarnished copper piece with a hole punched in the center, and a monkey perched on her shoulder while holding aloft a bowl of coi fish.  Now she had awoken with none of those things save their lingering presence in reminiscence.  Someone was going to pay.  She had really taken a liking to those coi...
“I have not seen one who loves virtue as he loves sex”- Confucius

(If I don't know you, haven't communicated with you in PM's or through the Elliquiy Forums, don't just IM me out of the blue.  I will just close the window & ignore you.  Take the trouble to actually send me a greeting & talk with me in Elliquiy first!)

lillisa

Wow, the most successful pirate of all time, (except Jack Sparrow and warner brothers :P) quite some shoes to fill.

Great concepts all around. We'll leave this open until the 18th 2359 UTC. We'll pick the best four concepts then. Tam and I will then fill out the weak spots. If people would like to join, but need more time, please contact one of us to discuss.

Elven Sex Goddess

Character submission

Juggaluu,  Half-Orc Sorceress Aquatic Bloodline

Background:
  Juggaluu is the product of a human pirate and brothel working Orc lass.  Which neither of the two would have a hand in raising her.   Orphaned she would run the islands and port towns of the coast, as a wild youthful hellion.  A street urchin,  with nothing but rags to her name.   Nothing more then a loincloth.  Which when a flat chested youngster such was not a problem.   But as she has come of age,  the longing to set sail and transverse the high seas.    Juggaluu has inherited her mother's more then ample bosom.  Fortunately thou the only other things she has inherited from her mother is green skin and tusks.   Her hair greenish teal in hue.   She did not inherit her mother's looks.   Who was butt ass ugly.   Instead she inherited her fathers looks, one of the most dashing handsome pirates along the coast. 

It is more then a calling, it is in her blood.   The sea calls to her, for when she was runty kid running the islands.  The spark within her of magic would first show itself.    Leading her towards the path in life of a sorceress.   An that spark was the water in aquatic bloodline.  An just like her father,  the need to feel the wind, the caress of the salt filled air of the sea caressing her runs strong.  An equally as strong is the sense of reckless wild adventure.   Something a mere merchant ships could not apply, nor enlisting in some kingdom's navy.   Such would be too restrictive to her chaotic nature.  Becoming a pirate will satisfy all of her boxes to check off.  The closeness to the sea,  the need to feel that salt water air,  the thrill of unknown and danger, adventure at it's best.

PhantomPistoleer

All right -- I redid my character.

Elliot Van Roost
Class: Unchained Rogue (Pirate)
Race: Half-Elf
Sex: Male
Character Sheet:  https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1856373

Besmara's Blessing:

Elliot was born aboard a ship at sea on an auspicious day. Old salts and sea dogs said that Besmara the Pirate Queen, goddess of piracy, sea monsters, and strife, marked him for a greater destiny. Elliot has always felt more at home on the sea than on land, and his keen eyes can easily pick out a sail on the distant horizon.  Elliot is already an excellent swimmer and a capable sailor.

Elliot came to a tavern in Port Peril called the Formidably Maid in search of his fate.  After spending most of his time dicking about, what with the whoring, drinking, and gallivanting about, he ended up passing out on the table before he found his destiny—unless it lay in the bottom of a bottle. Then again, maybe he did find his destiny after all...
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Laughing Ocelots

Lily Orosus
Class: Hidden Current Vigilante (Avenger)
Race: Scaleheart Skinwalker (uses Many Guises to pose as Background Terrestrial Sailor #32)
Sex: Female
Trait: Touched by the Sea

Even as a young child, Lily's appetite for all things was prodigious. Food was easy enough to catch along the shallow coast of the Shackles' smaller islands, but little else was plentiful in the shoddy shanty 'town'. The food alone was enough for the crocodile-tainted woman to grow large fast, but it wasn't enough, so she did what the children of lycanthropes did best - she adapted, leaving on her own and trying to slide into the uncomfortable, scaleless form she had worn so rarely before. And slowly, it worked, the naked feet grew more calloused, and she got ever closer to the settlements that had the music she could hear, the drinks she could smell, the people she could see.

Now a decade removed from her blood-clan, the scaleheart has honed her shapeshifting to an extreme degree. Her natural form is always there, right under the surface, as is the large, scaleless her, but with focus and care, she's able to take on the appearance of most any of the city-dwelling people, typically posing as a sailor to sweep into town, work a few jobs, party her way through what little coin she has, and then move on to the next town. Each town is a different, new form, the old one long forgotten, all in her pursuit to drown herself in her vices, and this was exactly what she was doing, leaving the Formidably Maid for the beach and a leisurely swim up the coast, when she was promptly knocked out.

Arcanist

Definately interested! Will go a storm Druid Or clerk of Desna
Choice is but an Illusion. Consequences are however real.

Emer

Well, I do find being in a world full of pirates to actually be fairly fun. So hope you don’t mind someone new to the site, adding in their interest and character.

Name: Raven Speri
Race: Human
Class: Swashbuckler [Tanky Dex build. Highest stat Con followed by Dex.]
Character Sheet:  [In development till I know exactly what our point buy is.]
Old Drunken Bastard:

“Ever heard of Ol’ Speri? Some say that he’s been shipped off to the slaughtering docks.” A single man speaking within an old broken down saloon. His partner chipping in, “Tis a real shame… Tha’ boy had somethin going for em’. If Only his misses hadn’t passed.” A squall of laughter erupting from the table the two sat at. “Well, if anything, he’s not going to be missed much by anyone, even his own lady took her life cause’ of their sorry state.” A loud thud could be heard as a man stood up drunk and wobbling on his feet. His pint slamming into the poor excuse of a lot.

“Ye should *hic* Be careful about what you’re talking about… Dis here ol *hic* Dog knows how to fight still.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raven Speri, a man that was born within a rather luxurious spot in life, his old man being a captain of a crew. While his mother had been a captains bed mate for a while. Lord behold the two having a son, it was bound to happen. In no point in time was life hard for the young man, besides for having to learn a bit of dueling form his old man. But everything within his early days of life had been pretty well set. That was until around the time he hit eighteen, and the old man decided to kick him off the ship. Telling him that he needed to find his own place within the world. Being dropped off at a random port, he hadn’t a clue how tough life could be.

Cursing his old man, he decided to hit up a saloon, that in which just started his downward spiral into the life of backstabbing, lying, and using other people. Within that type of work you often find a spur of the moment love. Well, this love lasted a bit longer than it should have, eventually following Raven into his older age. However, it was ripped away from him when a single mission had went wrong. His lover had been caught, and instead of giving in to the attackers, she decided to fight against them. Ending up in her body being disposed of in the back alley. Over the next couple of years, Raven could be seen sitting at different saloons along various ports drinking his time away. Occasionally getting into a bar fight like the one above.

Arcanist

Mara Hawke, Priestess of Besmara

Blessed by the Pirate Queen herself, Mara is the daughter of career buccaneers. Mara's father was a Captain of his own ship and her mother First Mate. They were one of few who retired on the Shackle Isles. Growing up in among buccaneers, pirates, and shipbuilders, Mara absorbed everything. Learning to sail at a very young age, she had an independent streak and will explore the reefs and inlets by herself. As faith would have it, one day, while out sailing, she spotted a storm coming. Still inexperienced, she misjudged the speed in which it hit. Out in the open, she was battered by rain, wind, and waves. Praying to Besmara, she found herself pushed into the eye of the storm, and there she stayed, unaffected by it all even after it dissipated. The experience rocked her to the core and awakened something in her.
Choice is but an Illusion. Consequences are however real.

MingMing

I edited my concept proposal a bit, added a picture and specified my archetype and S&S Trait.  Looking forward to this immensely!  :-)
“I have not seen one who loves virtue as he loves sex”- Confucius

(If I don't know you, haven't communicated with you in PM's or through the Elliquiy Forums, don't just IM me out of the blue.  I will just close the window & ignore you.  Take the trouble to actually send me a greeting & talk with me in Elliquiy first!)

Tamhansen

Considering the amount of response we're getting, we've decided that after we pick our original four, we will offer up a second table to start a bit later. Probably a month to six weeks. People who didn't make the first group, will then be asked if they still have interest.

We'll be using this weekend to go over the characters so far, and any new characters that come in before the deadline sunday evening. We'll send invites to our first picks on monday.
ons and offs