Silent Hill Anyone

Started by doom29169, September 22, 2010, 07:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doom29169

I am looking for a group Silent Hill game. It can be FF or rules based as long as I know the rules. I will accept this as a game with a single other PC, even, but I must have someone to talk to and interact with. Anyone brave enough to take this on?

MadPanda

Twist my arm  :-)  Are you familiar with Don't Rest Your Head?
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

TheHangedOne

Don't Rest Your Head FTW! I'd be interested in playing, wether we used that rules system or not.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

MadPanda

My initial exposure to DRYH was through a Silent Hill sort of game, and I have some experience running it as both GM and player--tried an SH themed game here earlier, but the player is otherwise occupied IRL just now.

A setting inspired by SH that I like is JAGS-Wonderland (but I'm not too fond of the system, for various reasons), so that's also a possibility.

In Memory of Bishrook

doom29169

Quote from: MadPanda on September 22, 2010, 12:03:51 PM
Twist my arm  :-)  Are you familiar with Don't Rest Your Head?

No, and color me startled, I thought I had played just about every game system out there. Point me in the right direction and I can learn anything. Also there is a completely set up NWOD setting for SH somewhere on the web. But yea with a little help I could pick this up no problem.

MadPanda

Let me send you the char-gen stuff and see what you think, then.  I think I still have that lying about...

In Memory of Bishrook

doom29169

Pretty complicated, but I'll try anything once. I was thinking more along the lines of SH where the PCs had no "super" Powers. I dont mind them, its just not exactly what I had in mind...however I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth and with several others interested already I shouldn't mind a little extra strangeness. I guess my next question should be, when do we start?

TheHangedOne

Maybe start the characters off without knowing they have powers, but give them a situation where it manifests? Then their's not only the exploration of their strange environment, and wondering why they're there, but their's the exploration of their powers, and another round of "Why?".

Just my two cents, do with it what you will.  :-)
Check out my poet tree!

MadPanda

This is true!  We can always leave those pesky talents undefined, for now...

There's one Madness Talent that is a particularly good fit for the setting, from Don't Lose Your Mind, but it does take control of those 'reality flips' out of the GM's hand and give them to the players.  (O is for Orpheus.)  On the other hand, forcing someone further down the rabbit hole would also be a valid spend for those coins sitting in the Pain coffer.

(grabs House Rule notebook)

In Memory of Bishrook

doom29169

Ok well I would deffinately perfer to have the "fog horn world" in the control of the GM. One of the things that makes SH so much fun is the not knowing when its coming. Your exploring the hospital and BAM the fog horn and your in the creepy "other world." So if I get imput, thats one that I would nix right away.

The idea of them not knowing about their "super" power up front is one I would deffinantly support. Also as far as the "what happened" (past) that draws them to SH, that should be up to each player, but the "What Happens" (present) that physically puts them in SH should be something that happens to them all.  I am really wanting a shared experiance btw/ the PC's giving them the opportunity to say the "Holy SHIT was that real?" over and again.

I would suggest one of two options, but of course they are just suggestions:
1) They are all on a cross country bus trip. The bus is forced off the main highway by a storm or whatever and they end up in the "tourist trap" that is SH, only they find it deserted...

2) The PC's are all in an assylum. They all babble about this place, SH, and they all are dillusional in some way. As a last ditch effort, their Therapist takes them to SH to prove to them that there are no monsters, only to find that there are a shitload of them!

As I said, these are just suggestions, take them or leave them.

Remiel

MadPanda, do you have the sourcebook available, or know where I can get it?  Or do I just have to man up and buy it? =P

MadPanda

Cross my palm with silver...er, I mean, give me a bit to set something up.

For now, let's go ahead and try DRYH without added Exhaustion or Madness talents...although you will still be able to add Madness Dice, of course.

How 'bad' do we want this?  Bondage?  Nonconsensual?  Extreme (shudder)?

In Memory of Bishrook

TheHangedOne

Hmm. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see much sex occurring. *Shrug.*

As far as ideas, I am partial to the one with everyone being a lunatic. Then you get yet another layer of problems, as they will either jump at being proven right, or think that it could be the meds (either lack of such, or withdrawal from them. Going off mental meds can have some wickedly bad side effects.)

ANybody that needs help finding the sourcebook for DRYH can send me a PM, and I'll tell you where to find it.
Check out my poet tree!

Angzyn

I'll join. Been looking for a good Silent Hill Game.
Adams and Eves
Cravings:
World of Warcraft
Thundercats (2011)
Legend of Zelda

MadPanda

True, but you never know...and this is Elliquiy.   ;D

(scribbles more notes)  'Course, if I pull stuff from JAGS-Wonderland, your biggest problem will be starting out unsane...

In Memory of Bishrook

doom29169

I would say go non-con for now and if need we can always move it up or down. I have a wonderful character for that sinero!

Actually I have no issue with exhaustion talents, just the more extreme super powers.

Really lookign forward to this!

MadPanda

Okay, I'll see what I can throw together later tonight.
We can go with the 'asylum inmates' for a start.  :-)  That could be...fun...

Oooo, how about this one?  The PCs are all members of a twelve-step support group because of something weird that happened to them.  Less confining than an actual asylum...

In Memory of Bishrook

Vergil1989

Silent Hill 1 I never played, but 2, 3, Homecoming, Origins, and parts of Shattered Memories I have.  All of which kicked ass to some degree or another.  The movie rocked as well though the ending sucked kind of.  (Won't spoil any endings for those that haven't played or seen the movie of SH.)

Needless to say, while I have no idea what any of the systems are for a SH game, I am more than happy to join this since my own group game isn't going anywhere.  Count my insanity in for the toss up lol.  Speaking of which, I don't like the asylum idea, or rather I think that it should be that some of us think we've been leading normal lives and find out later we've been living a fantasy of sorts to deal with some immense guilt and trying to suppress it and all that.  Yes I'm thinking the whole mess in Homecoming when I say this but it sounds good to me.  If not I'll go with the whole tourist bus being stranded out near the town.  Maybe have a monster or something run into the bus or better yet a 'little girl' walk out in the middle of the road.  Whatever works.
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

MadPanda

Got delayed.  Expect set-up tomorrow.

Welcome aboard, Angzyn and Vergil.

Good news is, DRYH is much simpler than it appears...but it does take a little bit of time to get used to how it works.  (And if you want, I'll even handle all the die rolling for you.)

Chargen and system thread here:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=83306.0

OOC here:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=83307.0

In Memory of Bishrook