Orc Warlords of Faerun (3.5 heavily houseruled DnD player interest check)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, June 12, 2015, 01:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleEnchantress

Some Sexy guys you got there Zaer. I'm not usually that into Orcs but Grumash is one hot bastard, and you know my type well enough to now what I think of the Talon of Tiamat.

On the Topic of Domains I really don't think people should be limited to just what the it lists the God having. So many good and flavorful domains appeared outside of the forgotten realms books.

You know for an Orc game the Mulhorandi are attractive a lot of attention
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Zaer Darkwail

I allow picking other domains so long they fit on said god portfolio/theme. Also this is interesting chance to play one less played human cultures in Faerun (Mulhorand and Unther). As mentioned orcs start with a bit advantage but after that it's free game to decide and direct how it goes/flows then. Reason why you got so much followers (x10 or x15 amount) is because you wield armies and to get armies you need soldiers and players can decimate lot of said soldiers with fireball (even champion can do it and spam it a lot if their warmage).

Then income comes in as form of currency how recover from troop/gear losses. I made Grumash specialize in that to extend to point he is more likely financially supporting others warfare than himself participate with his own troops (he is very business oriented) but if he goes to battlefield; he will have massive impact with even few troops he can command and wield thanks his buffing abilities. However if someone wants to play such concept, I gladly withdraw Grumash and let someone else play the concept he presents :).

Kolbrandr

Relatedly, is it possible to take the mulhorandi divine minion template? (this thing here https://web.archive.org/web/20140329041935/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a ) It's an LA of +1-2 and so forth. I ask mostly because, well, it's a mulhorand specific thing, and the characters of are more or less such things anyways.

Kolbrandr

Would the LA be down one track of the gestalt then? or both? Also for the one track needs to be divine caster thing, does something like paladin 3/knight whatever level (11 or something I suppose) satisfy that?

Zaer Darkwail

The divine side must be divine class, but no need divine spellcasting but it must be otherwise closely related to a god or so. Anycase any LA taken will be slipped one side or the other (not occupy both sides).

Kolbrandr

*scratches head* would that make for something like Celestial Mystic counting for that? The Exalted Deeds prestige class where a wizard comes into affinity with Heaven and its archons and so forth.

PaleEnchantress

I put up a thread seeking my own minions.
If you're the DM Zaer, since you by default will be playing many of the NPC's anyway, I might recommend you DMPC a follower or two. Even if not one of mine. At the very least it means a bit more developed cast of background characters in any given section, and lets you start with characters tailored to your ideas at the beginning rather than making them "retroactively".

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Kolbrandr on July 15, 2015, 01:03:51 PM
*scratches head* would that make for something like Celestial Mystic counting for that? The Exalted Deeds prestige class where a wizard comes into affinity with Heaven and its archons and so forth.

Not really, as celestials are not 'gods' and I consider that PrC more planar wizard with high attunement to heavenly planes.

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on July 15, 2015, 01:04:51 PM
I put up a thread seeking my own minions.
If you're the DM Zaer, since you by default will be playing many of the NPC's anyway, I might recommend you DMPC a follower or two. Even if not one of mine. At the very least it means a bit more developed cast of background characters in any given section, and lets you start with characters tailored to your ideas at the beginning rather than making them "retroactively".

If my GMPC's get added they do have detailed cohorts and perhaps I roll champion level char or two to add more color to some side :).

Quote from: Muse on July 15, 2015, 02:14:42 PM
Kesk Lamar work in progress.  (I'd love help with an image.) 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19jqFTLDv_Ssdl8a4J_cO8E80LrNPELOfwGTxv7uYHuQ/edit?usp=sharing

How do you want to handle hit points? 

Max every level (the HP). Image suggestions in spoiler (do remember you could add desert, jungle or other archtypes from UA for orc species, example Grumath is desert orc and explains his dark chocolate brown skin).

Orc male pics

Kolbrandr

That build was getting more complex than I wanted to go anyway. For the glorious servitor prc, is it possible to take the caster levels instead of auras if you're building it off paladin and you'd rather some more paladin spells?

PaleEnchantress

You know I can't find a good geographical index of Mulhorand. Especially regarding cities. Adventure sites, sure. Cities not so much. Mostly Just need to pick the place of my Residence and Holy City. Osiris is Obviously taking Mishtan. I wouldn't mind taking Skuld, but as the Capital it might seem odd to have Set reign from there. Seems like a better fit for Horus. Gheldaneth seems the best choice, especially with me being part of a class where apprentice mages learn a special technique allowing them to participate in circle magic.

Also Orc Male Pict 1 and 2: HELLO There. . .

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Kolbrandr on July 15, 2015, 02:41:50 PM
That build was getting more complex than I wanted to go anyway. For the glorious servitor prc, is it possible to take the caster levels instead of auras if you're building it off paladin and you'd rather some more paladin spells?

You get to choose between improving your spellcasting or improving your auras as paladin. So if want more spells as paladin+glorious servitor, go ahead. But then your limited in auras known/buff from point where you broke off from the class.

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on July 15, 2015, 04:05:56 PM
You know I can't find a good geographical index of Mulhorand. Especially regarding cities. Adventure sites, sure. Cities not so much. Mostly Just need to pick the place of my Residence and Holy City. Osiris is Obviously taking Mishtan. I wouldn't mind taking Skuld, but as the Capital it might seem odd to have Set reign from there. Seems like a better fit for Horus. Gheldaneth seems the best choice, especially with me being part of a class where apprentice mages learn a special technique allowing them to participate in circle magic.

Well, church of Set is not public church not even before Godswar (because Set considers openly all other gods as his enemies). Their churches and temples are usually underground or in forgotten ruins or what not. It could be in sewers of one metropolis cities example.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on July 15, 2015, 05:14:35 PM
Well, church of Set is not public church not even before Godswar (because Set considers openly all other gods as his enemies). Their churches and temples are usually underground or in forgotten ruins or what not. It could be in sewers of one metropolis cities example.

Set isn't Sobek, I don't think he'd tolerate living among sewage. That said I think an Imaskari ruin could be perfect then.

Summer

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on July 15, 2015, 04:05:56 PM
You know I can't find a good geographical index of Mulhorand. Especially regarding cities. Adventure sites, sure.

Are these suitable, you think?

Full Map of Everything -- http://hdwallpapersfactory.com/wallpaper/forgotten_realms_map_full_late_reply_but_whatever_we_use_high_resolution_desktop_3227x2143_wallpaper-326676.jpg

And this is more Mulhorand -- http://amiawiki.shatuga.com/images/2/2a/Mulhorand_Complete_Map.jpg

Anyhow, I am currently enslav-- *coughs* -- recruiting a Champion for Osiris as we speak, so if a DMPC or other character is imminent, the spot is pretty much taken (I'm just helping them with their character sheet/creation).
My on's and off's

Currently refraining from accepting roleplay partners while I consolidate/prepare for some that are starting up. I do not want to accidentally neglect a roleplay for being overzealous.

PaleEnchantress

Those are some great maps! Just checking, not counting GMPC's we have 1 Orc Warlord, 3 God Kings (Set, Osiris, and Horus?), and one Utherite Archmage as far as the faction leaders go? - How many Champions do we have?

I got a great Thematic idea for my home and holy place. In generic D&D Set's realm in in the nine Hells is a gigantic mausoleum city formed of polished obsidian and gold. Aside from that basic "look" I still think one of the Imaskari ruins in the upper borders of Mulhorand would be a great place for me.  Does anyone actually know where or how Set lived before Orcgate? I can see Sobek being very wilderness oriented maybe, but Set seems rather Urban and Prideful, can't imagine him being anywhere where he isn't the center of attention.

Summer

According to this -- https://www.scribd.com/doc/161099025/5/GEOGRAPHY-OF-MULHORAND -- Set is likely to be found in Sampranasz. The material mentions that there's a lot of ruins, but that is likely due to the number of times it has been destroyed (once during orcgate wars, twice after by natural disaster) so this may not be the case in present day RP. Even though the governing seems to be done by someone appointed by the priests of the chief deity, but even then they seem to be in Set's pocket. Basically...

QuoteThe town is a fishing port. Its coastline has some marshland where papyrus can be found in abundance. The town has a population of 3,000; those who do not serve Set disappear very quickly.

Sampranasz is also the closest city to Skuld, so you wouldn't be too far off in trying to stick your nose in its affairs at all, Pale. Do note that just about every Mulhorandi deity (including even Sebek to a degree) dislikes Set, which is why the clergy tend to have to rely on sneakery and subterfuge to not get found and routed out. Hell, even Sebek's major holy city location was done in because Sebek is not the most tolerated... and it was Paladins of Osiris (with Horus-Re's tactic approval) that did it. It is not unheard of for some holy orders to strike out against the orders of those less tasteful... in fact, that seems to be a rather recurring theme throughout history.

Also, it is worth noting that those maps are *current* maps and not entirely accurate renditions of the current powers that be. Where exactly Set was most prominently seen before is not touched upon and could very well be most prominently found in other ruins.

If you look at the Mulhorand Complete Map...

Basically *everything* belongs to either Unther or Mulhorand. About 180 years before the event of the orc gate -- just to give you an idea of how expansive these empires are -- Unther was battling against the elves of Yuirwood (look at that patch of green waaaaaaaay up in the north) and the dwarves of The Great Rift (see that brown splotch waaaaaaaay in the south?). Since Thay eventually seceded from Mulhorand, I think the Lapentmar River (or whatever it is, I can't read the name too well) is the natural northern boundary between the two empires, while the River of Swords (attached to the Lake of Salt) is detailed clearly as the southern boundary. The northern coastal cities (such as Bezantur) didn't naturally show up in the northern part until later on, but it can be every bit assumed that both empires have military power and the potential to try to found a city (meaning it might be possible to found them in that area assuming Zaer's fine with it?).

Thay doesn't yet exist, Chessenta doesn't yet exist... *lots* of space to hold, and even more space to be conquered.

Also, I am just speaking from what I've managed to glean from a few things; the details are likely better retrieved from Zaer, and his word obviously overrides. It is also further assuming that things remain relatively linear to base material; it's likely that things could greatly change if the concept is run in a different direction.

My holy order will indeed set up shop in Mishtan near the Land of the Dead to construct the tombs and of deceased and whatnot. That being said, there will still be at least a small measure of open presence of Osiris throughout the entirety of Mulhorand, ideally (or at least the most populated), as some artisans go out to do charitable work and clergy aid in burial proceedings. The militant power will likely be constrained at Mishtan until such time that they are given a directive, whether it be for defensive purposes (against the Orcs) or internal affairs (Cults of Set); even if they may hold bias against certain groups, they'll largely refrain from taking overt action until either there is direct and measurable harm (a Paladin of Osiris wouldn't just walk past a criminal act) or they are mobilized for specific purposes.

Order of Sheltered Repose

Dedicated to the sanctity and protection of those that have passed on, the Order of Sheltered Repose is dedicated to the teachings and values held by Osiris. The God-King -- Abel Anszir -- heads the church and is a well-known for his more defensive, protective inclinations and prominent connection with the deity Himself. Most of the people involved in the Order of Sheltered Repose are pacifistic artisans or clergy members that seek to bring peace to those deceased and left behind while others remain behind to assist in the Land of the Dead, the expansive tombs of pharaohs past and present. Among those people, those with talent are hand-selected for more militant matters when the order's hand is forced, though most are specialized in tracking than open combat; even if an atrocity is committed far away or out of sight, the Order of Sheltered Repose will chase with a guided tenacity to mete out suitable punishment to those involved.

Perks

Artisan Culture: With an emphasis on construction and a lot of time and freedom to explore their craft, those of the order are very talented, specifically in the realm of Architecture and ornate design.
Exploited: More a symbol of their charitable nature than of the exploitation of others, per se, the order makes less money than they otherwise would despite their advanced craft.
Fortifications: With such advanced knowledge of building tombs and structures that will last through generations, fortifications come naturally.
Magic is Rare: Though magic is treated with caution and scrutiny, Abel sees it as an unfortunately necessary evil for times of trouble and moments of duress. Magic items are a rare commodity to come by, and the followers that do come across them in their travels are heavily incentivized to donate it to the figures with greater power who can best put it to use.
God's Favor (Repose): Osiris Himself favors the Order of Sheltered Repose, and this is made clearly manifest through the greater ease by which clergy make use of this domain.

I'll have my God King's stuff finalized in the near future, but to tease...

Nimbus of Light, Holy Radiance, and Touch of Golden Ice are all feats that I picked out for him. He literally sheds light, causes nearby undead to take damage, and naturally "poisons" evil creatures through contact.
My on's and off's

Currently refraining from accepting roleplay partners while I consolidate/prepare for some that are starting up. I do not want to accidentally neglect a roleplay for being overzealous.

Kolbrandr

I'm going for Re, since at this time, Re's still kicking around/hasn't merged with Horus to Voltron their butts into Horus-Re, and I'm inclined to go at least one gestalt track of paladin 7/divine servitor 7 and all.

And yeah, Set in all ages of Mulhorand is basically an illegal underground cult, to the point that quite a few bases are literally underground. I was myself somewhat looking at Skuld since, affiliation to Re probably means the capital and somewhere appropriate to natter into the ear of Pharoh.

This brings me to a related question for Zaer.. basically, how much of a fight are we expected to get to put up here? Canon styles the Orcs lost for reasons well beyond "own goaling themselves". The Orcgate got asploded, and Mulhorand before that opened its vast treasuries to more or less hire the collected barbarian populations of Northeastern Faerun of the time to throw at the orcs as a mercenary horde for several years.

Basically if the idea here is we're supposed to lose and then kinktacular things happen, hey sure, but otherwise, are we allowed to attempt things like the above? The barbarian horde thing for instance. Basically we're part of a larger society that has things like giant piles of lucre to throw around, if we can convince the people that hold the lucre to spend it, say.

Summer

Quote from: Kolbrandr on July 16, 2015, 12:44:24 AM
This brings me to a related question for Zaer.. basically, how much of a fight are we expected to get to put up here? Canon styles the Orcs lost for reasons well beyond "own goaling themselves". The Orcgate got asploded, and Mulhorand before that opened its vast treasuries to more or less hire the collected barbarian populations of Northeastern Faerun of the time to throw at the orcs as a mercenary horde for several years.

Basically if the idea here is we're supposed to lose and then kinktacular things happen, hey sure, but otherwise, are we allowed to attempt things like the above? The barbarian horde thing for instance. Basically we're part of a larger society that has things like giant piles of lucre to throw around, if we can convince the people that hold the lucre to spend it, say.

From what I believe and has been said, the orcs in this campaign are considerably stronger and more dangerous than the orcs of the original Faerun campaign. Hell, Warchieftains are the equivalent of a *God-King* in power, which is *quite* potent if you think about it, and they have access to superior weapons, armor, and magic compared to standard. With there being a total of six Warchieftains compared to Mulhorand / Unther's three, I think it is safe to say that most rank-and-file are at least around 1.3-1.6x as powerful on an individual basis compared to either empire's followers, or so, with numbers and a warlike disposition that more than backs it up.

Even in normal Faerun, though, Re managed to get killed... so new Orcs are likely to be able to cause quite a bit of damage even with us fighting back... and we'll have to fight back quite voraciously.
My on's and off's

Kolbrandr

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on July 15, 2015, 09:40:55 PM
Those are some great maps! Just checking, not counting GMPC's we have 1 Orc Warlord, 3 God Kings (Set, Osiris, and Horus?), and one Utherite Archmage as far as the faction leaders go? - How many Champions do we have?

I got a great Thematic idea for my home and holy place. In generic D&D Set's realm in in the nine Hells is a gigantic mausoleum city formed of polished obsidian and gold. Aside from that basic "look" I still think one of the Imaskari ruins in the upper borders of Mulhorand would be a great place for me.  Does anyone actually know where or how Set lived before Orcgate? I can see Sobek being very wilderness oriented maybe, but Set seems rather Urban and Prideful, can't imagine him being anywhere where he isn't the center of attention.

Set generally hung his hat in the Raurin desert, there are references to his being chased back into it after his attempt to take control of the pantheon post Re-gank. If you can find it, powers and patheons is a decent source for the Mulhorandi (it's a 2nd ed D&D thing).

I will say, the one thing to keep in mind about Mulhorandi Set (if you want to that is, you can I imagine totally ignore it) is there is one solid, genuinely respectable thing about Mulhorandi Set.

To paraphrase Shaft, Set may take you down, but he'll never let you down.

Which is to say, within Set's faith, a spirit of brotherhood is to be obeyed and betrayal is a sin (outside the faith, to hell with everyone else, betray at will). Set walks his talk about the "brotherhood of evil" business he preaches as dogma. He will not willingly betray or abandon his followers (though again, everyone not his followers, fair game). He actually takes care of the people he commands to go forth and murder and torture in his name. It's perversely respectable.

There's also a weird thing where Set actually acknowledged Re as head of the pantheon such that he never went for his spot until Re died (though he possibly helped him along to die of his mortal wounds. Though considering how happy Set is to take credit for the Osiris mutilating and.. really every other godawful thing he's done, it's a stand out that he doesn't for that potential notion) and Set felt that the throne thus passed to him by right, (Horus-Re is just some weird mishmash thing, and Osiris is obviously blatantly unworthy).

Basically, it's a perverse and awful one, but Set has an actual code he governed himself by.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: Summer on July 16, 2015, 12:51:57 AM
From what I believe and has been said, the orcs in this campaign are considerably stronger and more dangerous than the orcs of the original Faerun campaign. Hell, Warchieftains are the equivalent of a *God-King* in power, which is *quite* potent if you think about it, and they have access to superior weapons, armor, and magic compared to standard. With there being a total of six Warchieftains compared to Mulhorand / Unther's three, I think it is safe to say that most rank-and-file are at least around 1.3-1.6x as powerful on an individual basis compared to either empire's followers, or so, with numbers and a warlike disposition that more than backs it up.

Even in normal Faerun, though, Re managed to get killed... so new Orcs are likely to be able to cause quite a bit of damage even with us fighting back... and we'll have to fight back quite voraciously.

Sure, I'm just asking if we're supposed to lose and so forth.

Also, just to make sure.. we're just the strongly affiliated proxies/representatives of the Gods, yeah? Not repositories for their consciousnesses or any such thing.

eternaldarkness

"Neither the weaklings of Mulhorand nor those filthy orc mongrels will taste victory in Unther while I still draw breath. They will know only defeat and sup on the bitter ashes of the void."
-Voidcaller Orro

"Come at me, bro."
-Eternaldarkness

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Kolbrandr on July 16, 2015, 12:58:35 AM
Also, just to make sure.. we're just the strongly affiliated proxies/representatives of the Gods, yeah? Not repositories for their consciousnesses or any such thing.

Yes, your representatives/proxies of the gods and intent is that 'battle of the gods' where Re suffered grievous wounds (which led to his death by Set) is done by PC's who get power boost from the gods in form of one time blessings (and thus become avatars of said gods).

Anycase so far info about old Mulhorand/Unther is fully in use; I myself had not found info about them so any info you can find which is official I am fine with it (just tell me so I can take it into account). Anycase story wise orcs nor Unther nor Mulhorand are not destined to loose as a plot device. Orcs have advantage in the start but then it's free game for players decide how to run things and how do battles and so forth. Orcs likely get several victories in start as no one in Mulhorand nor Unther anticipates nor expects them (so orcs get good pillage and raids going).

But then when PC's from Unther or Mulhorand start to respond (besides internal threats) then orcs may face actual challenge. In truth it would make my job as GM easier if players would be willing roleplay as victims of the orcs pillage (I control actual combat but when actual prisoner torments/rapes start, it would help if other PC's run them if they can).

Kolbrandr

Quotewhere Re suffered grievous wounds (which led to his death by Set)

Ah, that was previously sort of a "well we think so!" deal. I just found it odd by comparison when Set's murder and mutilation of Osiris was a totally concrete thing, the Re stuff was more accusatory. Definite thing that happened this time? The Re bit that is.

HopeFox

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on July 15, 2015, 09:40:55 PM

Just me so far, I think!
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?