Help me before I thrown my lap top out a window

Started by WindVoyager, January 27, 2018, 01:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WindVoyager

Ive become extremely frustrated since I have a very hard time dealing with technology due to my autism and I have a very low threshold when dealing with it.

I have an Acer Aspire E1-532 and its became very sluggish and unresponsive. Chrome is being an ass and won't load properly or is very sluggish as well. Its running win 7.

When I do get Chrome or firefox to work they crash or become very unresponsive and won't work.

Programs will either not open or be non responsive. I've cleared the cache and all that out and run the clean up program and restarted twice. It has not helped. There is no malewere or virus.

I'm sure restoring ti won't help since the problem will still be there and I will end up just loosing a bunch of stuff. I have no idea of what to even do.

AmberStarfire

If you have less than around 15% of the hard drive free, everything will slow down like that. Could that be a possibility?

I've heard it can also slow it down if you have a lot of files on the desktop or a really large file as your desktop background. I'd put files on your desktop into folders on your drive, then maybe put shortcuts on your desktop to them (if you have any there).

strangeflower

A few suggestions:

Like AmberStarfire suggested, see how much free hard disk space you have left. You should be ok with at least 20-50 GB, but more is always better.

Next check your task manager to see where the problem might be. You can see what program uses the resources. To open the task manager, press alt+ctrl+del and choose the right option (I think you can also right click in the start menu and choose task manager in win7)

Other than that it may be your hard drive that s about to quit on you. If you consider changing the hard drive I suggest going with a solid state drive. You can find a 500 GB drive for about $150 and then you'll need a cloning kit that comes at $20.

WindVoyager

QuoteIf you have less than around 15% of the hard drive free, everything will slow down like that. Could that be a possibility?

When I manged to get it semi working, I had 400 of 450 GB free but I kept getting memory errors. I don't have any large files on my computer, everything is pretty small and kept in folders.

AmberStarfire

I had something similar happening with my old laptop there for a while. Usually the problem corrected itself as soon as I disabled the Superfetch process on task manager.

The Dark Raven

When was the last time you did maintenance?  Defrag?  Virus check?  Looking in task manager for mem hogs/leaky programs?

All could contribute.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Vekseid

Can you make - or know someone who can make for you - a memtest boot cd? Can also try booting from usb stick.

http://www.memtest.org/

If what you have is a bad memory, that will let you know. I have some spare memory, though I'd have to verify it is what you need.

WindVoyager

QuoteUsually the problem corrected itself as soon as I disabled the Superfetch process on task manager.

I have no idea what a Superfetch is. I barely know how to turn this thing off and on, I'm not even kidding about that.

QuoteCan you make - or know someone who can make for you - a memtest boot cd? Can also try booting from usb stick.

I barely know how to turn it off and on. THere's no way I'd be able to do that much less know any one who can.

AmberStarfire

If you press ctrl, alt and delete together it will bring up a screen where you can open task manager. Task manager should come up with a list of processes. They're on their own tab. Scroll down and you should find one called Service Host: Superfetch. Click on it and go to 'end task' (the button's on the right).

There are little arrows too like this: >
and you can expand out some of the other processes. If that doesn't work, expand out the others and see if any have superfetch. Close it and it might solve your problem. It won't do any harm and it should revert to how it was before whenever you reboot the computer.

WindVoyager

Its been behaving itself so far but it makes me wonder what caused the issue. It only happened AFTER I began to down load the win updates.

It basically freaked out and everything froze up and nothing would work and that's when I kept getting errors about the memory.From what I've heard through the grapevine Microcrap is cutting support for all its older win systems despite the fact most the older OS's are far more stable then the newer ones.