Computer machine

Started by Paradox, May 09, 2011, 02:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

This isn't a problem so much as simply a question.

A few of my friends are nerdgasming over this computer machine. Since I'm stuck a few centuries after the fall of the Roman Empire in terms of technological prowess, I don't understand why. Can anyone here explain it?

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5325/18tbbutonly098useable.jpg

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Oniya

It has more RAM than most people have hard drive space?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Izu

o.o oh... wow . . . *nerdgasms* x'D
It has crazily a lot of RAM. And... is it me or it says it has 8 processors? whuuut o.o is the owner a crazy gamer or?

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

It's a server. Those stats are largely meaningless as the average user understands them.

Trieste

I was just going to say, I've heard complaints from friends about the quad core; I can only imagine the frustration someone would have with 8 processors. If current technology is written for dual cores and doesn't utilize quad properly, it's sure as hell not going to make use of an eighter very well.

2 TB of RAM is nice to dream about when you have a computer that is slow, though.

Me, I just want to take a solid state for a spin. Shiiiiny.... @_@

Vekseid

What Nehalem Xeon motherboard even -supports- two terabytes of RAM? Elliquiy's Nehalem server is near the top of the line and only supports 192 gigs.

Unless that's a virtualized system with a giant SSD or twenty being used as swap.