News:

Main Menu

Age of Conan

Started by Goat of Mendes, May 22, 2008, 04:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goat of Mendes

Is anyone playing or thinking of playing.  When I get my PC back I'm going to be playing it a lot and if anyone wants to play with me we should put our Conan info on here.
We form an unmoving tableau
Of adorer and adored
Unsure briefly which is me
Every thought I ever had
Dissolves into nothing

Sabby

It looks like just another MMO to me *shrugs*

ZK

I play AoC at the moment. It isn't anything like another MMO. The combat is too active, interactive and customizable to be such. As well, it has a Single-Player mode and also full voice acting. It feels more like how a PW should have been for NWN 1 and 2.

Large, constant action and things to do.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

ZK

I play on Wiccana, the only PvP I want is consentual PvP, gankers suck balls.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Goat of Mendes

My friends are on Tyrant but I'd rather Hyboria, cause it's freaking Hyboria, I go to Tyrant just to play with my friends and level up to catch up to them.
We form an unmoving tableau
Of adorer and adored
Unsure briefly which is me
Every thought I ever had
Dissolves into nothing

shadowheart

This sounds like an interesting game.  If I had time and money, this is the one I'd go into. 

So, heavy on hand-eye coordination?   How does combat work?  I have played WoW and some of the free 'point and click' MMOs before, so I know how they work .. select the enemy, engage, and occasionally select a special attack or spell ....

ZK

The combat is all real time and it's a combo based system. It's also on directional base, so you constantly have to move the direction of your attacks. There is no "wait" aside from when you're doing a charge combo or an auto-fire combo (usually only for people with bows). It's quite graphic, brutal and will have you on your feet. Combat is never boring and it makes gold mining impossible due to the constant shift of defenses you and your enemies have.

Delphy

I am also playing on Wiccana if anyone would like to travel around and whatnot in game with me, just shoot me a PM!

JadeCore

Hm, I wonder why we're all on Wiccana. :)

chronosmaker

I got the game, but I can't play it yet since my actual laptop that I personally own needs to be fixed. BUT when I DO get it fixed, tell me the server and I'll come join you guys. I can't wait to play it, sounds intensely fun.

Yes I'm an MMORPG addict.
'Who are you now? Wait, what am I supposed to be doing? Ah well, I'm sure stabbing you in the face is close enough.'-Me when waking up in the morning.

Ons and Offs
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=16570.0
(No I'm not going to make it fancy looking...)

Nephili

Quote from: gideonblake on May 27, 2008, 09:05:26 AM
Alright, well it says that I can't because I don't have Video HW Transform and Lighting nor Vertex Shading. So my question of "Is it possible to upgrade my video card?" still stands. I don't think I have much hope because I don't see any options like that on the Dell website.

Laptops video cards are, almost without exception, integrated into the motherboard, and therefore non-upgradable.

Quote from: Sagittary on June 13, 2008, 02:54:53 AM
Hm, I wonder why we're all on Wiccana. :)

Well, from what I've been seeing on a couple other forums, Wiccana is shaping up to be the "unofficial" RP-PVE server, seeing as both the "official" RP servers are PVP

That said, I've been playing around with this game a bit myself, the character I've been playing the most is Nephila on, predictably enough, Wiccana, feel free to send me a tell in game sometime ^_^

chronosmaker

Okay well hopefully tonight my computer will be completely fixed and I will be installing Age of Conan and seeing if it works. I'll be using the trial, to see how it is before I start paying, but most likely I wille. So, if it is possible, to any who want to show up, maybe show me around after I get out of the starting solo area, that'd be great. OR at least talk to me about the game, help me out?

Also I'm going to Wiccanna, or however you spell it, since you all seem to be there...
'Who are you now? Wait, what am I supposed to be doing? Ah well, I'm sure stabbing you in the face is close enough.'-Me when waking up in the morning.

Ons and Offs

OldSchoolGamer

The last time I tried MMORP was around 2002.  This is a game that, from what I've heard, tempts me to try again...

chronosmaker

Aaaaand my computer won't start...

Freaking...

Ons and Offs

ZK

I dropped it due to repetitive play and not much to do once you get pass the intro island.

My synopsis? As with any new MMO, a rule of thumb is wait at least six months before getting into it if you want more an expansive play and definitely more polished product.

JadeCore

Quote from: Nephili on June 14, 2008, 10:40:07 PM
Well, from what I've been seeing on a couple other forums, Wiccana is shaping up to be the "unofficial" RP-PVE server, seeing as both the "official" RP servers are PVP

I was being facetious. :)

Quote from: ZK on June 17, 2008, 01:04:26 PM
I dropped it due to repetitive play and not much to do once you get pass the intro island.

My synopsis? As with any new MMO, a rule of thumb is wait at least six months before getting into it if you want more an expansive play and definitely more polished product.

To be fair and objective, AoC essentially takes the same systems (and is designed as a whole) as most of the last generation of MMOs (World of Warcraft being one most people will be familiar with). It does very little that is truly difference - what it has is many gimmicks. Some of those gimmicks actually work and do make minor changes in how the game proceeds (but not plays). Others, are just gimmicks and trappings for doing the same thing as before.

While there is potential to be different and the possibility of newer systems adding great changes, one must ultimately realize that the base fundamentals of the game have been set. And that is something that will never change. Well... it can, but then you end up with a buncha angry customers (See Star Wars Galaxies).

Like most of the MMOs that have taken the WoW route of MMO design, the gameplay will feel familiar and offer, essentially, hack-n-slash mostly mindless play. It's only superficially tactical and exploratory. This isn't an RTS, 4X, or whatever... it's still, firmly, Diablo. That said, as with most current MMOs and MMO-like games, what will keep or maintain that core player base is the community. People finding like minded folk to play with and socialized with will ultimately be why people stay (and not complain). People that want the sort of gritty, low fantasy setting, will enjoy AoC as long as they're not people trying to play some sort of hardcore game. Those that are will likely move on to Warhammer or some other such game (and from there, move on again). And those that are looking for something from a different genre will also probably lose interest quickly.

In summery, is it as innovative and fresh as the hype would say? No. It's a "Me too" WoW-like game that tries to unsuccessfully re-invent the wheel on occasion. But, the formula is a proven one and if you have a bunch of people to goof around with, it can be a fun one.