Fish Question

Started by Serephino, May 19, 2012, 11:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serephino

We've lost yet another fish (long story) this time it looks like to ick.  I don't know, the beta is all white and gross looking.  Fortunately, we kept him isolated in a little container for this very reason. My question is, what should we clean the little container with to make sure any future isolated fish don't get sick from it?

Autumn Sativus

You can get medicine for ick that you put in the water from any pet store or even a place like WalMart. If you don't treat your fish when they get ick, they will die. It's a cheap fix to save them.

Anyway, I clean mine with dish soap when there won't be any fish in them after ward. Just wash it out, rinse well with hot water and leave it empty (and dry) until you need to use it again - if you want to use it right away, I'd recommend letting it sit out for a day or two to dry and then rinse again with hot water, fill it up, treat with ph balancer and let the water sit for a day or two. Then go ahead and add your fish.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Serephino

Thanks, we'll try that.  We aren't planning on more fish for a while since we've had such bad luck.  The beta seemed fine this morning.  We had to keep it in the bedroom because the last beta we put in that and kept downstairs got eaten by a cat.  But my boyfriend came home and went up to change, and it was dead.   

Autumn Sativus

It might help to do some research. Wikipedia's info on Ick.

QuoteOnce the organism gets into a large fish culture facility, it is difficult to control due to its fast reproductive cycle and its unique life stages. If not controlled, there is a 100% mortality rate of fish.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Elina

If you do ever try fishkeeping again, a website called fishlore is a really great resource.