Vacation Suggestions - NYC

Started by Elina, February 21, 2014, 08:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elina

My best friend's family and mine (4 adults and 4 children, 6-12 years old) are most likely going to vacation in New York City for around a week this July.  Does anyone have suggestions on how to save money, where to stay, what to do, etc.?

Lord Mayerling

Elina

That wasn't exactly the plan.  :)

Lord Mayerling

I think the answer you were looking for was "Thanks. Thanks for that."

Elina

Or the answer you were looking for was, "It's a big city, you won't even have to see me."   ::)

Torch

Everything really depends on your budget. NYC is a great place to visit, if you have the cash to spend. It's expensive - everything costs more - meals, hotels, a bottle of water, you name it. One of the best ways to save money is to use the subway and not spend money on cabs. Get an MTA map and memorize it before you leave.

As far as where to stay, Midtown is really the heart of Manhattan and will put you right in the middle of everything (other than attractions downtown, such as the Statue of Liberty, the 9/11 memorial, etc). Unfortunately, Midtown is also the most expensive area, so plan accordingly. Hotel rooms in Manhattan are small (DO NOT be fooled by photos on hotel websites). Claustrophobically, horrendously small, so be prepared for that. You might be better off doing a short term condo rental that would accommodate all of you rather than bothering with a hotel. You could also save a lot of money by cooking some of your meals rather than eating out.

Despite anything you may have heard, NYC is probably the safest big city in the US. There are cops everywhere, and really, unless you are wandering around Alphabet City at 3:00 in the morning (doubtful, unless you were interested in buying crack or meth) you can walk anywhere in NYC and not worry. That doesn't mean the standard rules of tourism shouldn't apply, they do and you should use the same amount of caution that you would use anywhere else.

Take advantage of as many free things as you can. Central Park, for example. A great place to let the kids run around and let off steam. One way to save money is to is visit the TKTS booth in Times Square where you can buy same day theater tickets for half price. Just be flexible on the show and your seating arrangements. But half price to a Broadway show is a bargain.

As far as paid attractions go, everyone yammers about the Empire State Building, but my personal favorite is the top of Rockefeller Center. The view is much better, and you get a nice tour presentation to go along with it.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Valthazar

Torch gave a nice overview of the tourist spots.  I highly recommend checking out Chinatown in Flushing - some of the best Asian food I've ever had in my life.

Elina

Thanks, guys!  Very helpful, Torch.  I appreciate it.  The condo seems like a fantastic idea, especially.

Martee

Seconding a lot of what Torch said too.  It may be a bit harder to find one of those short-term sublets in the summer unless you start looking now, and really do a bit of investigation into the neighborhood before you commit. 

It's a bit off the beaten path (on the east side, Murray Hill area, 34th & Lex), but I stayed at the Affinia Dumont recently and it may be worth a look.  The rooms are huge, most have kitchens (small, but with a full fridge and electric stove), a full living area, big TV.  The views are amazing - I stayed in a Skyline Suite which is fairly high up, and it was a corner so there were windows on two sides. The staff were fantastic and the subway was only down the next street.

The downside - while there is plenty of convenience shopping and places to eat right there, you'll have to do a little bit of a schlep to get to more touristy things.  Still, it's doable, and walking around Manhattan is one of the best ways to really experience the city.  Also, that hotel is located over in the hospital district, so there's a lot of traffic noise from outside - which is to be expected really. I mean, NYC.  ::)  It should be less of an issue the higher the floor.

There's tons of exciting stuff to do in NYC - I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Status as of March 5th: In like a lion - only one response outstanding

Elina