My Picture

Started by Zakharra, May 26, 2006, 08:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvi

It's just not fair....I don't understand all that PHP and SM bloody F's and stuff.......I have to use hotdog junior for my website! *sobs*
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Lyria

Okay, so I found my avatar, no problem, but now I want to change it. How do I upload a new one? Or can I not do that anymore? The 'I have my own pic' option doesn't work.
All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep 'em on a leash.           ons/offs

Vekseid

If someone wants to point to a new package of images I'd certainly upload them.  Otherwise you can do what others do and use photobucket or imageshack.

Lyria

My issue is different.

I host my own pictures, and normally on the profile editing page it gives you the option of choosing a pick, or checking "I have my own". Well, just like I have done several times in the past, I choose, "I have my own", plop in the url, hit save... and it doesn't save. It refreshes the page, only now the choice of 'I have my own" is gone, and I can only choose from pics already included in the list.

What I want to know is, how can this be fixed, or, how can I get a new pic included in the list.

Elvi

Lyria, if you look back to the beginning of the thread, you will see that it was causing a problem, so that facility has been withdrawn.

Lyria

I did read through everything, but I guess my sleep deprived mind didn't digest that the feature was exactly gone. Thank you for explaining.

Elvi

Well, as you saw, when you read the thread, it totally confused me......*sighs and blushes*

Lyria

*throws an arm around Elvi*      So were not techno-heady girls...who cares.    *Puts on some Chris De---...grins teasingly...Puts on The Clash*

Vekseid

Quote from: Lyria on May 27, 2006, 01:34:31 AM
My issue is different.

I host my own pictures, and normally on the profile editing page it gives you the option of choosing a pick, or checking "I have my own". Well, just like I have done several times in the past, I choose, "I have my own", plop in the url, hit save... and it doesn't save. It refreshes the page, only now the choice of 'I have my own" is gone, and I can only choose from pics already included in the list.

What I want to know is, how can this be fixed, or, how can I get a new pic included in the list.

That's... odd.  Tell me the URL and I'll see if I can fix?

It will auto-refuse if you try to put in a picture that's bigger than 171 high by 135 wide, which may have caused it.

Lyria

Quote from: Vekseid on May 27, 2006, 11:58:01 AM
That's... odd.  Tell me the URL and I'll see if I can fix?

It will auto-refuse if you try to put in a picture that's bigger than 171 high by 135 wide, which may have caused it.

Hmmmmm, It may have been bigger than that. Let me try checking the size, and if that is not the issue I'll give you the URL. Thanks.

Lyria

Well, it's true I guess....size matters. That was the issues, it was just a bit big. Thanks!

Hunter

Quote from: Elvi on May 26, 2006, 03:50:22 PM
SEE?
All this bloody techno babble stuff......
*throws up hands and walks off sniffling*

It makes sense to me.  *shrugs and offers Elvi a hug*

kylie

I like to get some variety now and then so...  I tried reading all this but I'm still confused and I'd like an update...

Is it possible to link a picture by URL or not?

If not, can we choose a different picture on our own from somewhere out there and get it uploaded (if so, how)? 

Or do we have to choose from or somehow find these "packets"?

Darwishi

You can upload your own so long as it's within the alotted dimensions, I was confused by that too since the old way would just resize your pictures for you. ^^

So you need to have it in the limits of 171 pixels high by 135 pixels wide.  If you've got photoshop it's an easy fix, just fix it there, and re-upload it to your site and then use the corrected URL to link to it. ^^ 

kylie

Thanks. I was getting the width too large to begin with. 

It seems the catch with ImageShack is, they do not properly host very small pictures?  Whenever I load avatar-size ones there, they come up "blank" -- no previews, just a space where it should be and clicking it doesn't seem to work.  They do have an option to resize larger pics you load through their own system to "avatar," but that reduces them to a width of 75 and I suspect they will warp the proprotions of the photo.  Not my cup of tea at all.

But, ImageShack works okay if you mark for info borders to be stripped away from thumbnails when you first upload the pic.  Then use the http portion of their thumbnail links in the Profile info.

Apple of Eris

Photobucket seems to work pretty well if you need a place to host pictures.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Darwishi

Do animated GIFs still work? 

Darwishi

Okay so I figured out the problem with the gifs, though I have another question...how do you get them to loop?

Lilac

You use a .gif editor.  That said, don't post anything that would link to adult websites in the public area, and I frown on advertising for pay sites in general.  Please don't do that again.

Zakharra

Aaakkkk! My picture has vanished!  :o :o

Dreamy

Looks as if it came back?

Lilac

She just used her avatar on another site, which now redirects to

this little thing Veksie made >_>

Dreamy

Vice

I'm having a somewhat similar problem. I was altering my profile, and now it won't let me update because it says my avatar (which is the same as it's been for months) is too big. It's hosted off-site. What could the problem be? It wasn't too big before.

Vekseid

Where/what is your image?