WTF I agree with Scalia again!

Started by Vekseid, July 02, 2009, 04:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Thing is.. they need more regulation and limits to what they can do. And the feds aren't doing it. Those lovely men we put in congress aren't making it a priority (hey..they got GREAT advice on the subject from the lobbyists..who NEVER lie)

So the states have to do something..and now that it's creeping up into federal levels.. the feds are getting into a snit about it.

Bayushi

Here is the point of the matter.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

That there is the Tenth Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America. It is one of the most important parts of the Constitution, as it is the basis for the Federal Republic that we may(or may not) currently enjoy.

Last I recall, there were no sections in the Constitution granting the Federal Government control over banks. Not one. Not a single section allowing them to gain or retain control over any private enterprise. None of those, either.

As such, the states and local municipalities/counties should RIGHTFULLY be levying regulation as they feel needed. The problem is that Congress chose to meddle in affairs it had no business in, such as the various GSO's, like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Congress passing laws to force banks to lend unsafely was unconstitutional, as it was not within their means to do as such, by the Tenth Amendment.

CONGRESS, not Fannie/Freddie is responsible for where we are now, economically. Mayhaps not the CURRENT Congress, but certainly a number of members of Congress are partly responsible for the meddling that brought the economic collapse upon us(Such as Barney Frank and Christopher Dodd).

As for government running private enterprises, well... I cannot, and do not, believe that they can achieve the success that would be possible if these enterprises were being operated privately. Government can set and change the rules/regulations/laws to be more beneficial to themselves; but that again is improper meddling.

Problem in the end is: Government(Especially the American Federal Government) is NOT known for expediency or accountability(laughter ensues) with anything. Why? THEY'RE THE GOVERNMENT.

Layers and layers upon LAYERS of bureaucracy is the problem here. The ONLY part of the government that operates with any alacrity within their bureaucracy is the Military. That is because the Military actually has oversight and accountability(not to mention discipline). The rest is so steeped in laziness and sloth that people are often being paid to do nothing(See Social Security Administration). I have PERSONAL experience in dealing with moronic bureaucratic processing, particularly with Social Security. I had to wait FIFTY-THREE MONTHS(four years and five months) just for Social Security to finally have experts look at my medical information and say, "Yeah, you're disabled!" And I had to HIRE A LAWYER to get it done THAT "fast". And have my Congresswoman fax and call them and have some words for them on my behalf.

Yeah... I think I have good reason to have so little faith in the federal bureaucracy.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Akiko on August 16, 2009, 08:16:27 PM
Layers and layers upon LAYERS of bureaucracy is the problem here. The ONLY part of the government that operates with any alacrity within their bureaucracy is the Military. That is because the Military actually has oversight and accountability(not to mention discipline).

Eeeehhhhh.... speaking as a medically disabled vet, I'm not so sure about that statement. It took them 3 years to decide I was to biochemically fucked up to not be allowed to serve AND merit a medical retirement. I've seen guys who were literally one bad episod from a wheelchair get kicked out with basically severance and a 'see ya, don't let the door hit ya on the way out'.

Ironically, I've heard that it's getting even harder now that the Democrats have oversight to get disability. (Which struck me as strange.. but from the looks of it, it's a cyclic thing.. ). Of course the last year EVERYONE in the process has been twitchy when you meantion the words 'Senator' and 'Congressman'.

Bayushi

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 16, 2009, 08:22:58 PMIronically, I've heard that it's getting even harder now that the Democrats have oversight to get disability. (Which struck me as strange.. but from the looks of it, it's a cyclic thing.. ). Of course the last year EVERYONE in the process has been twitchy when you meantion the words 'Senator' and 'Congressman'.

See, that was thing about my Congresswoman. She was really big on helping people out with Social Security, apparently having had a family member deal with their BS. Mentioning her name usually had the Social Security person I was haranguing crapping their pants and transferring me to a supervisor.

Lawyer told me that it was good to have gotten her involved.

As for the military... well... not EVERYTHING moves with swiftness and alacrity all the time. Procurement tends to be pretty nasty... but much of that has to do with congressional meddling/mandates/regulations.

As for people getting booted when they're doing horribly... well, I can't attest to that as I've not seen it myself. Remember that a lot of military bureaucracy is still loaded to the gills with civilians(accountants, etc). Not to mention yet more congressional meddling.

Point is, in the grand scheme of things, the only part of government that DOES move with any kind of alacrity is the Military. For instance, we have forces on constant standby for potential worldwide crises, such as the 82nd Airborne and our Special Operations folks.

For Example:
If there were a sudden need to deploy soldiers to, say, North Korea; the 82nd Air would be there sometime this night(typing this at 1840 local time).

If we had a sudden emergency need to deploy federal bureaucrats four miles from said bureaucrats homes, expect their arrival sometime next month.

Callie Del Noire

Wouldn't do me much good. Given the State Rep in the senate KNOWS my family name all too well (Big Brother was supporter of the non-unelected incumbent not to mention a candidate for Govenor. :( )

I found if you didn't FIGHT and stay on it..they'd kick you out with the mimium. Seriously I mean.. kicking a guy out with nerve damage without any ability to work at all. For a while after the first of the year, I thought it was getting to the point where you'd lose a limb to get medically retired.