File sharing is not piracy (Picture)

Started by Aiden, September 13, 2008, 01:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiden

Red Dawn

Hahaha this is pretty funny. Yet at the same time, I find I can relate to this :]

Why are people always calling shared files as "pirated files" ? It's not like the givers are making that much money and it definitely is not as if the sales on the said files would be hindered by that much.

Sherona

You would be surprised at how many sales tehy have lost. If it was just a few then it wouldn't be a big deal.. Whoopie 6.99 a single..not a problem to someone with millions right?

Well it wasn't just a few, sales of singles dropped significantly, sales of DVD's dropped as well thanks to pirated videos. One doesn't ahve to make money to make it illegal or stealing.. *shrugs*

I guess its just how I see it..but lets take books for example, since this is a literacy site. If I ever finish my little -whatever it is called that I have been wriing on since I was 16 years old and its approaching 3000 pages- and someone decided "Oh thats good, I want all my friends to be able to read...that in cludes all of my online buddy list!" and they type it up then share it with everyone....well not everyone woul dhave bougth my book but if it was good enough for somoene to do that, then I can say that a lot of his buddies would have..if ithadnt been free. I would lose money on royalties, ifI used a publisher they would lose money, I would be out money for editters and printing...*shrugs*

But it is a cute drawing :D

HairyHeretic

There are as many studies showing that files sharing leads to increased sales as there are to decreased ones. The real reason the music industry is pushing this so hard is that the rise of technology and the internet is rendering them pointless. They are no longer necessary for the production and pomotion of music, and without a reason to be, they can't go on charging vast ammounts of money to do what they do.

They could have embraced the opportunities that the digital age brought them. They chose to fight against those technologies. Technology will continue to advance, and the music industry will go the way of all other professions that refused to evolve.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Mathim

Maybe the debating portion should go in a different section.

But I liked that little doodle. They should put that on t-shirts and sell 'em!
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

HairyHeretic

True. I wasn't particularly paying attention to what section we were in when I posted that.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Haibane

If you wrote a computer game that took you years and you slaved away at it and worked bloody hard, then sold it for - say $20 a unit online, only to find that a month or two down the line someone had made a copy of it and was giving that away free and as a consequence you had far less income and you and your family began to get the bills pile up... would you think that pretty picture was still funny? Would you agree that online copyright infringement was someone else's concern?

The music industry is one discussion. There are many other forms of theft. Yes THEFT on the internet.

Oniya

Just to throw a wrinkle into it - the picture never said that any of the alternatives wasn't wrong - just that they weren't the same.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mathim

Ah, what the hell, I guess we can debate here even if this was supposed to be just a joke.

Well I think there's a world of difference between the music industry and the film/video game industries. I mean, in my mind, all you need is a singer, some musicians/machines to do the background music, and...uh...yeah, that's it for making music. Can't be quite that costly unless the singer is a total greedy asshole. Movies...they cost millions to make and employ tons of people and resources, same with video games, so yeah, obviously they need a bigger return on their investment to make sure everyone makes enough to keep on trucking. Whereas music...well, I might be wrong, so if someone wants to correct me, I'm all ears.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Sherona

I suppose years of vocal lessons, stage presence, the ability to carry a note, the time spent on the road (cant be successful if no one has ever heard of you), The all night rehearsals, then the fees to use studios, fees to get the album dubbed and background vocals/music added..yeah teh music industry is just basically a person in their basement...I guess thats why anyone can grab a microphone and get famouse in the music industry :D

All that aside, the picture was posted as an amusing thing..many things that are not really morally (for some) acceptable can be funny as it helps vent and relieve tension. So just because someone finds the picture cute or funny doesn't mean they support Piracy.

That said. I STILL find it cute.

Sherona

Quote from: Oniya on September 13, 2008, 04:57:54 PM
Just to throw a wrinkle into it - the picture never said that any of the alternatives wasn't wrong - just that they weren't the same.

*grins* Indeed you are correct, making the pictuer even more funny!

Caeli

haha. Admittedly, that's a very cute drawing. ^_^ I don't agree with it completely - I can see both sides (the sharing --> more sales, versus the sharing --> losing money) of the issue.

The only comment I want to make is that I want to know that I'm spending my money on music that I will actually like and listen to when I purchase CDs. As you may or may not know, I'm a huge fan of Asian music of all sorts - Japanese pop, Korean hip hop, anime soundtracks for series not yet available in the United States, video game music - and often, these types of music are hideously expensive. They can be almost twice the amount of a similar release in the United States, because they are imported. Yes, an album released by a Japanese singer, bought from an online retailer, can cost around $40, without the added cost of shipping.

So I download music to "preview" it. No, I don't delete it 24 hours after I do. But when I do like an artist enough, I religiously purchase and collect albums or, if I'm a big enough fan, I start buying their discography. But with Asian music so expensive to purchase from the States, I'll be damned if I just buy something without knowing what it sounds like first.

[/mini-rant]

Anyway, the point was I can see both sides of the argument and do, of sorts, agree with both sides. But the picture is still cute. XD
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

The Overlord

Quote from: Red Dawn on September 13, 2008, 01:07:53 AM
Hahaha this is pretty funny. Yet at the same time, I find I can relate to this :]

Why are people always calling shared files as "pirated files" ? It's not like the givers are making that much money and it definitely is not as if the sales on the said files would be hindered by that much.

Given its history, the word piracy carries with it a certain amount of mystique and infamy, and makes a nice little impactive method of swaying public opinion.

I mean the federal government employs an annual campaign of piracy against upstanding citizens, enforced with threat of fines and imprisonment, but it sounds a lot friendlier when you just call it April 15th.  :P

Sherona

Quote from: The Overlord on September 14, 2008, 11:49:02 PM
Given it's history, the word piracy carries with it a certain amount of mystique and infamy, and makes a nice little impactive method of swaying public opinion.

I mean the federal government employs an annual campaign of piracy against upstanding citizens, enforced with threat of fines and imprisonment, but it sounds a lot friendlier when you just call it April 15th.  :P

*laughs so hard*

The Overlord

It's a tad off track, but with all this talk of piracy, and Talk Like a Pirate Day coming up this weekend...one of my favorite YouTube pirate vids, imagery courtesy of EQ2.