The Valarian Empire (Need M&F-rulers and their brides)

Started by sansa, May 20, 2013, 11:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silk

I'm interested in being an prospects bride but until I get my laptop back next week posting will be scarcenat best (just can't do big posts on a tablet)

Odanrav

Jecter: That sounds excellent! We'll likely have The Sundered Isles fleshed out soon-ish, but feel free to go ahead and make a character. Since you'd like the leadership role we'll take any kind of ideas you may have for the realm (like being elected  by popular vote) and incorperate them. :)

Silk: Welcome Silk and thanks for your interest! Is there any particular land that you're thinking of being a noble daughter of? We also probably won't have the number we're looking for to start this until early next week, so no worries about the laptop.

sansa

I'm going out of town tonight for the weekend guys! I will try to post if I can at all, otherwise expect to hear from me on Monday. I leave any questions that I can not answer to Odanrav XP
O/O
Hello E friends. For those who've role played with me, I disappeared for a while due to lack of access to a computer and personal issues. Life has calmed down and I now have access to E and inspiration has struck me again. :)

Silk

Not entirely sure yet, leaning to being a rare flower bloomed in the garden of ice though

Odanrav

Sounds like a plan Silk! Glyphstone has expressed interest in being the heir-apparent in that realm as well, so maybe you both can work together on something.

It seems as though Sansa has left me in charge for now (I'll try not to screw it up!), so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Otherwise I'll continue to work on delving deeper into the other lands, and give folks more to consider and think about.

Silk

Well I'm new ot looking to be heir apparent as it were main draw is the substantial religious undertones involved with the land, sort of a Joan of arc-esque figure minus the war and miricles, just a woman who through either prophecy or deed is looked at with some reverence and is otherwise seen as a woman with some esteem that many lords would like to capitalized on. Given the realism of the game its a lot more she's seen to have these sorts of traits, not that she actually has any sort of mystical traits. At the very most the frozen land would otherwise not bother her like everyone else.

TheGlyphstone

You are looking to be the heir, or you're not? I think you typo'd up something in the first sentence there.

Odanrav

I think I caused the confusion Glyph. I did not mean that you both were looking to be the heir. Just pointing out to Silk that Glyph would be the heir of the same realm, and the two of you may could work together. Especially if they are in the same family.

Silk

It was a typo, I'm not looking to be heir but due to the religious nature of the ice land she is still somewhat of a prize

TheGlyphstone

Okay. cool.

Do you want to be related? From politically allied tribes/families? Or even the opposite, politically opposed tribes/families (whatever our personal feelings)?

Also, how do you feel about drawing primarily on Eskimo/Inuit culture to style the Garden of Ice peoples around? Everyone and their grandma tends to make 'northern ice-people' budget-grade Vikings, and budget-grade always tastes funny.

sansa

I'm back :)
I haven't updated myself on where we are in progressing this story

May i ask who is interested in playing what so that i know what characters need to be filled?
O/O
Hello E friends. For those who've role played with me, I disappeared for a while due to lack of access to a computer and personal issues. Life has calmed down and I now have access to E and inspiration has struck me again. :)

Marie Reynolds

So the naval technology is it triremes style fleets or more cannon bearing ships.

Belisuavious

I think it should be closer to the cannon style of ship, though I'm not sure if there will be any cannons. While I like triremes, I love the sleek and fast schooners and such.

I should also get a character sheet up, so here you go:

Name:William Flyte

Realm: Sundered Isles

Positions: First Captain

Appearance: William is 5'10 and 178 pounds. He is 25 years old and has a lithe swashbuckler build. His skin is very tanned from the time he spends at sea

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Character Summary: William is the great-grandson of one of the driving captains behind uniting to face the Empire, and the man who held the the position of First Captain when the war had ended.  Jacob Flyte ruled for 25 years, though that it was a very loose term to use. The captains were stille very powerful and resentful of having an overlord, so business continued as usual for the Sundered Isles. It seemed that the Sundered Isles wouldn't last as a nation unless some sort of unifying power was forced upon them.

Jacob's youngest son, also named William, was elected by the gathering of the Captains as an honour to the man who had united them. That was what the major captains all said, though the real reason was because they believed the 16 year old boy would be easy to control and allow them to reign unchecked. This period only lasted for five years before William emerged from the shadows of the men who had slithered around his position, treating him like a simple figurehead while they did as he pleased. He was a first class duelist and used his talent to impress a crew to follow him, and he began to smash the captains who had denied him his powers.

After a ten year  struggle, William managed to hammer the unruly city of pirates into a slightly more manageable state. While they remained pirates, they all agreed to follow a simple set of rules laid down by William. These were more or less the unofficial rules of the ship itself, though William had expanded it to make the entire nation the ship, and the First Captain it's captain. The laws were simple: You pay a share of your haul to the First Captain, and give him your support. In return, the Captain has your back and ensures that everyone is being dishonest at more or less the same level.

It was to this life of leadership that his son, Rob, was raised, and the man proved to be a drunken lout once he got married, somehow staying sober long enough to defeat the other suitors. Rob had a talent for two things, drinking and dueling, and when he was sober enough to hold a sword steady, it was a wonder to watch him work. Of course, he was barely sober, but when he was, he managed to win the daughters of a wealthy captain.

At the age of 50, William the Elder stepped down from the position of First Captain, feeling that he was too old for the rigors of statecraft and captaining a ship anymore. Rob was not elected, since by this time the captains who were electors wanted a strong ruler, to keep their rivals in check, not a fool who would allow them to flout the laws that were now imposed upon them.

William the Younger, as he was called when he was born, spent most of his time in his grandfather's company. William was the youngest son, just like his grandfather, and perhaps this is why he took the boy under his wing. William was proud to stay out of his father's drunken, stumbling shadow, and barely even touched liquor when it was offered. The one thing he managed to learn from his father was a bit of swordwork, during one of the few times he was sober enough to teach him.

Now, at 25 the old First Captain has died. William the Elder spent a lot of his influence to convince a small number of the captains to support his grandson. With these captains spreading the word of William the Youngers suitability, the young man led a daring raid to the far south and returned laden down with precious jewels and rare spices, though a third of the crew had died facing whatever dangers were down there. Most of the stories are written off as the usual exaggeration, while William remains tight lipped about the subject.

The success of this voyage and the whispers spread by his grandfather launched him into the position of First Captain, and he is determined to do his grandfather, now an old man who had spent much of his energy gaining William his position and is now close to death, proud.

Sexuality: William has yet to marry, though that hasn't stopped him from dallying with the various women of the city. He enjoys himself most when his partner is enjoying herself, and likes to please them. He isn't submissive though, he just likes feedback.