~ Word of the Day: Feedback & Comments! ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mellific

Quote from: Lilias on May 25, 2018, 06:28:47 PM
Thanks! Glad you found something you liked in my mad dashes to make challenge quota. ;D I plan to stick around, whether there's a challenge going or not. These little prompts are like mini workouts: over and done before they get tiring, but day after day they work their magic. ;)

Couldn't agree more! I just need to work on getting myself back to routine writing, and I'll be right there with ya!  ;)

O/O | A/A | MM

RampantDesires

Yay S.A.L. !  I'm so glad you decided to join us in WotD posts while you're working on your approval!  No worries about editing posts your hemogenous post was good :-)

I hope y'all are having a good weekend!

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Flower

Haha. Shores, your 'riposte' entry made me giggle. xD

Flower

OMG, Sdparquinn, that's a lot of f-words. xD

sdparquinn

Quote from: Flower on May 29, 2018, 09:17:55 PM
OMG, Sdparquinn, that's a lot of f-words. xD
Thanks! Honestly F words are my favorite. They're so much fun. And I really do mean that. And I've always counted it a compliment towards the letter F that dirty words all called "F words".

RampantDesires I really love your writing style. I can't put my finger on it just right now but I am sure if I go back and read it over a few times I can recognize what resonates.

RampantDesires

A lot of f words indeed!  I loved it :-) Alliteration, always an auspicious activity. <3

And thank you sdparquinn.  They're a lot of fun to write.  What started as a fluffy temporary thing now has a little corner of my brain dedicated to it O.o

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Sam Alexis Lee

Oh dang, didn't even see this thread when I was being approved. :p

Thanks for the welcome RampantDesire.

And I wouldn't think French words were so common-ish in the English dictionary.

My preferences info → Ons / OffsRP Status: Looking for partnersPlayer Status: working / normal RP hours

Flower

Lol Sal! Thank you for reminding me I need to update my resume. :P

Sam Alexis Lee

Quote from: Flower on June 04, 2018, 09:21:13 PM
Lol Sal! Thank you for reminding me I need to update my resume. :P

You're very welcome, picking the right fluff words for your resumé is always the hardest part of it.  ;D

My preferences info → Ons / OffsRP Status: Looking for partnersPlayer Status: working / normal RP hours

Flower

What a fun sounding word today!

I decided to share...

Did You Know?
When boondoggle popped up in the early 1900s, lots of people tried to explain where the word came from. One theory traced it to an Ozarkian word for "gadget," while another related it to the Tagalog word that gave us boondocks. Another hypothesis suggested that boondoggle came from the name of leather toys Daniel Boone supposedly made for his dog. But the only theory that is supported by evidence is much simpler. In the 1920s, Robert Link, a scoutmaster for the Boy Scouts of America, apparently coined the word to name the braided leather cords made and worn by scouts. The word came to prominence when such a boondoggle was presented to the Prince of Wales at the 1929 World Jamboree, and it's been with us ever since.

Flower

I liked your post, Suzie. I wouldn't mind following that office adventure. I liked the tone of it too. Reminds me of a noir film. (^^)

Flower

Heinakori come back with a glorious crap-talking fest and battle of magic! Lol I enjoyed reading it. :)

Also...Did You Know?

These days defenestration is often used to describe the forceful removal of someone from public office or from some other advantageous position. History's most famous defenestration, however, was one in which the tossing out the window was quite literal. On May 23, 1618, two imperial regents were found guilty of violating certain guarantees of religious freedom. As punishment, they were thrown out the window of Prague Castle. The men survived the 50-foot tumble into the moat, but the incident, which became known as the Defenestration of Prague, marked the beginning of the Bohemian resistance to Hapsburg rule that eventually led to the Thirty Years' War.

Heinakori

Quote from: Flower on June 14, 2018, 06:27:13 AM
Heinakori come back with a glorious crap-talking fest and battle of magic! Lol I enjoyed reading it. :)

Also...Did You Know?

Yay! *waves* Thank you, it was fun to write and a real pain to edit into "proper" English!
And no, I didn't know. That's actually a cool fact, thanks! :)
O/O

Suzie Shalmirane

Quote from: Flower on June 13, 2018, 01:29:04 PM
I liked your post, Suzie. I wouldn't mind following that office adventure. I liked the tone of it too. Reminds me of a noir film. (^^)

Thank you again for your kind words!

Mellific

Apparently I've been mispronouncing the word balmy for my entire life. I've always said BALM-E, pronouncing the L. It wasn't until I saw the pronunciation today that I realized it. And believe me, I had to blink at it a few times before processing it, lol. Can't believe I'm apparently saying it wrong! xD

Anyway, where this word came from is pretty interesting. Just wanted to share:

Did You Know?

It's no secret that balmy is derived from balm, an aromatic ointment or fragrance that heals or soothes. So when did it come to mean "foolish," you might wonder? Balmy goes back to the 15th century and was often used in contexts referring to weather, such as "a balmy breeze" or, as Mark Twain wrote in Tom Sawyer, "The balmy summer air, the restful quiet...." Around the middle of the 19th century, it developed a new sense suggesting a weak or unbalanced mind. It is uncertain if the soft quality or the soothing effect of balm influenced this use. But later in the century, balmy became altered to barmy in its "crazy" sense. This alteration may have come about from a mix-up with another barmy, meaning "full of froth or ferment." That barmy is from barm, a term for the yeast formed on fermenting malt liquors, which can indeed make one act balmy.

O/O | A/A | MM

Flower

Mmm. Liam, your post makes me want a hot cuppa.

Also...I've been pronouncing it wrong too. xD Not surprising though since I struggle with pronunciation.

Flower

Oh Kit Cat! A poem. 💝 Sad but well done.

Theta Sigma

Balmy is Barmy over here, and predominantly means crazy.

I had no idea it was a deviation of balmy.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Kit Cat

Quote from: Flower on June 21, 2018, 08:15:28 AM
Oh Kit Cat! A poem. 💝 Sad but well done.

Thank you Flower :-) prompts always seem to set of my poetic side, so I just go with it!

Flower

Well I do hope to read more. Your post also reminded me that today's word needed to go up! :)

Flower

Kit Cat

Quote from: Flower on June 21, 2018, 01:01:00 PM
I'm spoiled with poetry! :)

You did ask :-)

Couldn't resist using the word twice too!

Flower

I'm glad you indulged me with your wit. :)

The Green One

Quote from: Flower on June 20, 2018, 06:31:05 PM
Mmm. Liam, your post makes me want a hot cuppa.
I'm just seeing this!

Hehe I really was in need of some hot tea when I wrote it :P

Kit Cat~ I loved your poem with the word voracity!

Not available for new stories

Kit Cat

Thanks Liam, I appreciate it...and reading your conversation with Flower has made me put the pot on for a cuppa now too  ;D