Interest Check: Generic Fantasy Inn

Started by Bliss, November 20, 2008, 11:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

Maybe a little dock? Make it an oceanside Tavern. Beaches, a stream, etc.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Inkidu

Hmm I assume the tavern has an adjoining stable. Maybe a mountain with a pass in the background?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Bliss

Quote from: MagicalPen on November 21, 2008, 02:25:56 PM
Maybe a little dock? Make it an oceanside Tavern. Beaches, a stream, etc.

The Tavern is close to the beach; there's going to be a cove location, so I can include a dock as part of the description.

Quote from: Inkidu on November 21, 2008, 02:28:24 PM
Hmm I assume the tavern has an adjoining stable. Maybe a mountain with a pass in the background?

Yes, a Tavern would naturally have a Stable... which certainly could merit its own thread aside from the main inn, I imagine.

A mountain? *grin* We're not painting, here... do you anticipate your character making a lot of trips to a nearby mountain pass?
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Inkidu

Quote from: Bliss on November 21, 2008, 02:31:07 PM
The Tavern is close to the beach; there's going to be a cove location, so I can include a dock as part of the description.

Yes, a Tavern would naturally have a Stable... which certainly could merit its own thread aside from the main inn, I imagine.

A mountain? *grin* We're not painting, here... do you anticipate your character making a lot of trips to a nearby mountain pass?
People have to come from somewhere. A tavern at the end of a arduous mountain pass brings business. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

MagicalPen

Well, we've got a dock. Maybe its first stop on road to secluded kingdom full of riches? All travelers pass through the Inn and often take a ship/boat down the coast to a larger port.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Bliss

I get where you're coming from, Inkedu. I just mean is it worth it to make that its own threaded location, as opposed to just part of the description of the general surroundings of the Tavern? :)
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Inkidu

Quote from: Bliss on November 21, 2008, 02:40:03 PM
I get where you're coming from, Inkedu. I just mean is it worth it to make that its own threaded location, as opposed to just part of the description of the general surroundings of the Tavern? :)
Well I was just offering points of description but, maybe later. Who knows maybe two bar patrons want to duke it out on the mountain top? Just a suggestion.

Stattick

QuoteA tall, shadowy figure dressed in all black sits alone at a table in the corner of the room. As the wench comes over to see what he'll have, he slides over a gold coin the likes of which she's never seen before. It's huge with the image of a dragon embossed on it. The dragon's eye twinkles with a small but perfect ruby for an eye.

He doesn't look up, and his face cannot be seen do the large, black sailcloth cloak, and the hood that's still up. His voice is gruff, dust hoarse from many miles traveled, and cracked from too much time spent in baking deserts to the South, the frozen wastes of the North, and the unhealthful miasma deep within the Earth. The voice sounds as harsh as a Dwarf's. "A bottle of Elvin wine, the best you have... and whatever passes for a crystal goblet in these parts."

Her eyes widened, as she touched the coin with her finger tips, but dared not to pick it up. "My lord!" she gasped, "A dragon coin! Never have I seen one of these, and always thought they but myth! Coin such as this is worth far more then any food or drink we could ever think to offer you..."

The hard voice replied only, "And I shall want to have my pick of all the vacant rooms, one that I may lay claim to in perpetuity." He looked up at her then, but there seemed to be only inky blackness within the hood until a whispered word that was too slippery to stay within most minds was murmured, and then his face was plain for the wench to see. He was an elf, of pale skin, and black hair. His face was as scarred and weathered as his voice, and there was a great determined intensity about his eyes, that did not quite conceal a great melancholy.

"My lord!" the wench gasped, as she saw a face that should be eternally youthful but was not staring out at her, and that fierceness of eye and countenance that declared that the outrageous sum must be taken if his desires could be met. She nearly curtsied out of habit, but realized that she did not know the man's station other then his obvious wealth. "What... what shall I call you, my lord?"

"Call me Oberon." he stated. He gave no title, no honorific. By custom, he'd just declared himself as common as a baker or cobbler... and he lied, in a sense. The wench had heard many myths from many lands, and she'd knew of the custom among elves that no two of them ever held the same name. She knew, as many did, that Oberon was one of the greatest Elven kings of the first age, whose assassination led to The Great Elfin-Dwarvin War that lasted a millennium. No Elf would claim such a name and expect others to believe it to be true. And so she divined that the mysterious stranger claimed no title, and no name, wished to be anonymous, and yet cared not that those around him would know that he claimed a false name.

The wench nodded, and said only, "As you wish Lord Oberon... I will bring the wine, the glass, and the proprietor and the two of you may make what arrangements you may..." She fingered the dragon coin once more, but slid it back toward the stranger. "Hold this to yourself for now. I... I am uneasy carrying such wealth as it, even just to cross the room."

An older, more powerful version of one of my very first and most beloved 2nd Edition D&D characters, who went by the name Oberon... for reasons of his own.  ;D

Assuming that I'll be had that is.
O/O   A/A

Bliss

Quote from: Inkidu on November 21, 2008, 02:45:41 PM
Well I was just offering points of description but, maybe later. Who noes maybe two bar patrons want to duke it out on the mountain top? Just a suggestion.

*grin* Then it shall most definitely enter into the overall description, and if folks want to go mountain-climbing I'll make a thread for it.

Oooh Stattick! Yay! Hang on to that to use in your character bio. :)
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Paradox

I won't be around again until Sunday, but I look forward to seeing this game underway!

Yeah Bliss, I may play a town drunk/village idiot, but I'll do at least one other character as well.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Bliss

That's certainly allowed - just make sure that you have distinct bios ready for them both, and that it's clear which one you're writing for whenever you post... :)
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Paradox

As if my OCD would allow me to do anything less?

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Inkidu

Would it be legit to have a gun? (Sort of like Fable 2?)

Paradox

I don't think they had guns in generic medieval settings. Even a primitive blunderbuss sort of black powder muzzle-loader was developed many centuries later.

Bliss

As long as you can justify it to my satisfaction (I'm not familiar with Fable 2). A gun as I currently think of it isn't contiguous to the atmosphere of the Tavern, but it's possible if you have something like a magically driven projectile weapon, or steampunk-ish, or... not just, y'know, "zomg I has a glock!" XD
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

HairyHeretic

What about an Iron Kingdoms style gunmage?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Bliss

Neither am I familiar with Iron Kingdoms... esplain?
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

MagicalPen

*will stick to medieval weapons himself*

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Paradox

Oo! Oo! How about a towering cybernetic mechagodzilla?

Bliss

Quote from: MagicalPen on November 21, 2008, 03:01:27 PM
*will stick to medieval weapons himself*

*hug* Thanksh.

Quote from: Paradox on November 21, 2008, 03:01:32 PM
Oo! Oo! How about a towering cybernetic mechagodzilla?

Oooh, ooh, can you justify it in the heretoforementioned setting? :p
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Paradox

Of course not, nor was I serious to begin with. Like MP, I'll stick with the genre.

MagicalPen

*ponders whether or not he should steal previously mentioned character*

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Stattick

It's not my decision to make of course... but I think it could be fun if there's a few guns out there. Maybe they're magical, maybe not. Of course, I'm thinking relatively primitive matchlocks too, because for some reason, I always envision being able to go out to sea in generic fantasy, and pirates just aren't as cool if they don't have cannons and matchlocks. Of course that's just me.  :)
O/O   A/A

Bliss

Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Inkidu

Arquebuse (Arkay boos eyay) is an early matchlock, smooth-bore, muzzled loaded, low-velocity firearm from the fourteen hundreds and depending on where you are in the world that's not quite the end of the medieval ages.

Forget I asked.