News:

Main Menu

Gmail Monitoring

Started by Spookie Monster, July 10, 2008, 05:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

Do you use Gmail?  Are you concerned that somebody might be secretly accessing your account?  Well, then, you're in luck!  Apparently Gmail has implemented a new feature allowing users to monitor their accounts' access.  Check out this article for more information.

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Paradox

Hmm. I have accounts on hotmail, live, and yahoo. Gmail is the one popular server I don't use. I may have to reconsider that now, thanks Spel.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Psi

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?   (Who guards the guards?)

While I like this feature in itself, and I hope it gets picked up by the other providers, it still only protects and logs access to your eMail via the Web Interface, I see nothing about POP3/IMAP.   It also does not log access by GMail themselves, whether automated bots for "targeted advertising" or inappropriate use by Google's employees.  (Not saying there is, but like all systems there is the potential to be abused)

It's like PM's on this system, yes they are private, but they are also accessible to people with the appropriate access level (DB Access) if they so chose to look them up - we place our trust in them not to read them, and quite frankly that is good.  Generally any web based forum is exactly the same.
Any eMail system is the same, unless it transmits eMail in an encrypted form, there is always someone who can read it.   And even then there is no true guarantee

Lithos

If you really believe that your email traffic no matter what the service you are using is not monitored, it is quite big dose of naivety. It is quite funny sometimes, send some 20 normal mails, then send 20 that have certain words mixed in for searches.... and observe delivery time. Does not seem to matter where you send from, as long as it travels long enough.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Spookie Monster

No doubt somebody out there has the capacity to secretly check one's inbox.  I nonetheless feel that this setup might be useful to, say, the type of person that visits Elliquiy.  Many of us here -- not all of us, surely, but many of us -- have the desire to keep our social lives and our inner lives separate.  Knowing that our significant others or our roommates or our parents or our children haven't been monitoring our darker fantasies might offer us peace of mind.  At the very least the setup could suggest when a password has been compromised...

Quote from: Psi on July 12, 2008, 10:26:42 AMit still only protects and logs access to your eMail via the Web Interface, I see nothing about POP3/IMAP.

Is that the case?  Honestly, I don't know -- I've never really used any alternative methods of access so I'm not too familiar with them.  Although the article does state that the setup "includes the ability to track user access by browser type, IP address, date and access type (POP3, Browser, Mobile)," I've read that occasionally information on the Internet is wrong.  I know, I know, it's difficult to believe, but it's true!  I read it on the Internet...

Anyway, thanks very much for the replies.  I hope that the heads-up has helped somebody out there.  And if you do decide to go with a Gmail account, Paradox, best of luck with it! :)

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Moondazed

I love Gmail, but I have dialup from home (I know, I know... we can't get anything faster living out here in the sticks... on our beautiful farm... where the stars are bright and crisp... I'll take the dialup :P).  Gmail doesn't play very well with dialup, although it does have an html version that is usable, I just lose the cool features that are there when I look from work :)
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Psi

It does handle POP3, which indicates that IMAP access as well would be included.

Protocol

Quote from: Psi on July 12, 2008, 10:26:42 AM
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?   (Who guards the guards?)

Who watches the watchmen?   8)

Can't wait to see that movie.

On a related note, I have a number of gmail accounts, so this is rather interesting to me.

Paradox

Quote from: Sonofagun12 on August 14, 2008, 01:34:36 AM
Hmmmmmmmm

Well, that was worthwhile.

So for those of you with Gmail accounts-- since you read Spel's article, have you actually tried out this feature?

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Bliss

I have been using it, actually; it's there at the bottom of my inbox, telling me that this account is open in one other location (and gives my home IP to me) and that the last activity was 25 minutes ago from this location (gives my current (work) IP).

Pretty handy for free-floating paranoia, definitely.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Spookie Monster

I'm pleased to read that you've been getting some use out of the setup, Bliss! :)

Quote from: Psi on July 12, 2008, 10:26:42 AMQuis custodiet ipsos custodes?   (Who guards the guards?)
Quote from: Protocol on August 13, 2008, 02:26:32 AMWho watches the watchmen?   8)

Oh, goodness, nobody needs to worry about that: I watch the watchmen!  Although I am running for president on a pro-cookie platform, I could just as easily run on a pro-security platform.  Please stop asking me where your bras have been disappearing to, though, ladies.

Vote for Spel!  Custodio custodes, custodio cookies!

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Carlcjjohnson

Nifty, nifty indeed! Ah Gmail, even serving to solve it's own problems . . .

Lithos

Gmail does handle IMAP these days
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search