What do you consider taboo for a forum like this?

Started by Astalinnon, May 16, 2008, 01:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Astalinnon

I was browsing some other RP forums rather recently and stumbled onto a giant argument over what should and shouldn't be done on an RP forum. Especially since we tend to deal with things on the more taboo side anyways, what do you all consider things that shouldn't be done here?

I know I have met people before who have said that people here should only be usernames to each other, and I have met others that want to see pictures of the writers behind the masks and want to do more personal cyber-sessions rather than writing back and forth.

Personally I don't give a damn and a half about all of that stuff, I only care about the posts themselves, but it got me thinking: What is Elliquiy's general consensus as to how people should interact in a board like this?

Sherona

I believe this discussion has fleshed itself out in the Rants Raves forum :)

As of right now the only real taboo here is Lolicon, the others have been lifted. I agree wtih teh lifting of the disgusting rule, and I agree with keeping the Lolicon rule in place. Well also Beastiality in pictures is still against the rules, but its also still allowed in stories.

Greenthorn

Well...I think I understand this as.."Is it okay to get 'closer' to people in Elliquiy"

Why not? We are all adults!  I speak to people in voice chat, some have seen my pic, others know my real first name *shrugs* I'm picky, but I don't plan on going away any time soon so why not create real friendships?  I personally have tons of internet friends...some of which have been titled as such for over 10 years.

BlackRose

I don't see a problem with getting closer to people. I have sent pictures, discussed real life issues, even traveled to meet several of my online friends. Already Stori is trying to convince me to move to where she lives. She has a boyfriend though so I think he might get jealous. ^^
Questions are dangerous, for questions have answers.

Rules/Ons and Offs

"Romantics... The original Emos..." ~Storiwyr

Jefepato

In the sense you mean?  The only taboo is to interact beyond your comfort zone.

I don't mind if people exchange pictures, have personal cyber-sessions, or go meet each other IRL.  I'm certainly not going to, but if you want to, that's up to you.  (Supposedly we're all adults here, so I assume everyone knows how to be appropriately cautious.)

Elvi

I think, in actual fact, it should be 'not to go beyond the other person's comfort zone', Jef....*smiles*

I chat to many people here, who have become friends. Those that I have become close to have seen photographs, know our real names and I know many personal things about them too.
I have had, on one occasion, an Elliquiy member come and stay with us for several months.

It's a matter of trust and how people deal with me on a personal level that counts.
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Jefepato

Quote from: Elvi on May 16, 2008, 04:51:49 PM
I think, in actual fact, it should be 'not to go beyond the other person's comfort zone', Jef....*smiles*

Well, both really.  You shouldn't go beyond your own comfort zone or push someone else outside theirs.

Basically, this is the sort of thing that needs to be worked out between individuals.  As I said, we're all adults here (I don't really feel like an adult, but I'm 23 so technically I qualify), so there's no real need for forum-wide taboos as to how we interact.  The "don't be a jerk" rule is really the key here.

Elvi

The problem always comes when 'your' (as in the generic) comfort zone is wider than the other persons.

For instance, I have known Ast, the thread originator, since the first day he arrived her on elliquiy.
I am very fond of him and have on occasion, sent the odd email to him, just to see how he was doing (though I missed his birthday this year...*sobs*), but I know very little about him, simply because I 'feel' he doesn't feel the need to tell me.
(Your ears burning yet Ast?....*grins*)

I try to treat people online, as I would face to face.
Some you find are very open and you get to know them quickly, others may take a long time and some you will never be more than a passing acquaintance to....
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building