Citizen's United Amendment.

Started by Callie Del Noire, May 01, 2013, 01:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

I've been following the effort of Senator Sander's and others to get a 2/3rds of the states to vote on the proposed elimination of the loophole to corporate purchasing of elections (AKA the Citizen's United decision).

Maine just became the 13th state to approve the proposal and that means we're just about 1/3rd or so of the way there.

The depressing point I found out is this..

NO Amendment ever proposed via this manner has ever succeeded.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/04/30/politics/senate-backs-resolutions-supporting-campaign-finance-immigration-reforms/'

Of course I did also realize another thing. NONE of these changes were done during the 'internet' generation where coverage and press releases can be far more easily spread around with a well organized group of interested parties.

Oniya

Due to the Internet, 'grass roots' are longer than they used to be.  Ten years ago, I probably couldn't have named a Senator from any other state than my own (with the probable exception of Massachusetts).  Now, it seems like Bernie Sanders has a fan club in each of the 50 states, judging from my social media contacts alone.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on May 01, 2013, 08:48:28 AM
Due to the Internet, 'grass roots' are longer than they used to be.  Ten years ago, I probably couldn't have named a Senator from any other state than my own (with the probable exception of Massachusetts).  Now, it seems like Bernie Sanders has a fan club in each of the 50 states, judging from my social media contacts alone.

I am not hopeful. The past shows this method hasn't worked BUT we are in a new era in communication that could make it work. We need this amendment to fix the myriad of issues we have with our elected officials. This cancerous link to lobbyists is not healthy for the continued existence of our country.