Sailing the Ocean Blue

Started by MistressofPen, January 16, 2016, 12:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MistressofPen

The Auction
The island is Jamaica.  The time is the late 17th century.  Pirates, slavers, those trying to get away from their past all land here at some point.  Land owners grow sugar cane and import slaves to work the fields for them.  Some enterprising sailors are even known to make their living in the slave trade, bringing people from China, Africa, and the occasional foolish English or American to sell for profit in the market place. 

My character would be one of the foolish females from America, running away from her life, only to take passage for Australia with a captain with less than honorable intentions.  After being in the hold of the ship with other females from other nations, my character is brought to Kings Town to be sold, looking less a lady and more a bilge rat.   

This is where you pick how you want to play it.  Your character could be a landowner, an overseer, another traveler just happening onto the auction while on a trip.  Depending upon your character, he could buy her  to use as a slave, or effect a rescue of some sort (buying with good intent, or ?).

I like stories to be sort of formed as you go.  I'm not insistent on any certain plot line, love a good wrench thrown into the mix, a twist in the plot line, so to speak, as long as it isn't such a snarled twist that I get lost...  It isn't clear what type of story this could be...  It's rather open as to what level we take it to until collaboration is begun.  (I see it being anything from vanilla on up.)

MistressofPen