Looking for Sci-fi kinds of games.

Started by Leodouble08, April 29, 2015, 03:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leodouble08

Well let's just say I'm not a newbie when it comes to tabletop games. I have been a part of games and tried my hand at running a few, using systems such as D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, and Mutants and Masterminds.

However, I LOVE sci-fi, and that never really seems to come up too often. So I have a few questions.

What are some sci-fi tabletop games out there/which are more well known?
Is there any online resources to find them? (Think like http://www.d20pfsrd.com/ for Pathfinder)
And is anyone here open to running a sci-fi game/is running one now? I would love to join.  ;D

Well that's all for now. I hope to hear all of your suggestions.

plasmarobo

Shadowrun is more cyberpunk. They're on the 5th edition of that now. There is a game recruiting here. The ruleset is not free, but the RP is more freeform and plenty of people can help you out. Chummer5a is also an excellent free tool (windows/.net required) for character creation.

Stars without Number is a Firefly type space game. Has a very interesting world. No FTL comms, but spike drives allow FTL jumps. It's also free! You can find the PDF online!

Rifts has elements of Scifi. I'm not too aware of this one, played it once.

There is a freeform space RP trying to acquire players here.

wander

My favourite scifi game is Mongoose Traveller right now. It is a system that has very little setting in the corebook and is a game based around space travel and the varying lines of work a space traveller may find. There is fluff books that expand on it's default setting called The Third Imperium, but lots of people just make up their own fluff and use the system. Noteable for having fun life-path character generation, spaceship design rules and also a system for generating random planets and also sectors of space to go travel with your designed ship.

The Void is another space-faring game. Pay what you want on Drivthrurpg, which means you could get it for free if you wanted. A standalone game based off the Chthonian Stars supplement for Traveller, I can sell it in one sentence; 'Literally the film Event Horizon: the RPG'. Made to place Cthulhu mythos in a lower tech Traveller setting, a more hard scifi take where character's are restricted to our own solar system. Has a similar system to the GMC rules update of Nwod, but uses d6s so successes crop up more. Makes your character feel pretty boss, though they'll be less equipped than Traveller characters, giving a more Survival Horror aspect. A character tends to need to choose between that pistol or the bullet-proof vest when grabbing gear as an example.

Eclipse Phase is another to recommend. It's Creative Commons, the devs actually have a free download of the corebook on their blogs if you look for it. Post cyber-punk and mainly set in our own system, though in a post-Singularity future (also there is a Stargate riff on some worlds opening up the game to extrasolar locations). Uses a percentage-based system and has an incredible amount of freedom of what characters you can play. Unique in that your character for the most part can download their psyche onto a black box that can be swapped to other bodies, including Uplifted animals and robotic bodies. Lots of factions with varying politics, space travel is less of a thing on ships, characters tend to do a STL download and upload of their ego to whatever world they want to go to.

Firefly currently has it's own rpg series out now. It uses the Cortex Plus system, using a dicepool mechanic where higher sided dice represents better skill in certain categories. Has a fairly simple and quick stakes mechanic too, where the defender rolls up first to make a DC and the attacker has to beat the stake set.

Numenera, it's like a D&D game done through the lens of Heavy Metal and Moebius painted scifi fantasy. Has a feel similar in parts to Dune and also the comic series Saga with how weird the world is. Set on Earth literally one billions in the future (how it's not swallowed up by the sun by then is handwaved by mentioning some tech from a past civilisation is stopping it doing so), mankind is now the ninth civilisation to walk the world. They live on one huge super continent, only the South-Western part is mapped, though the map and area covered is huge. Lots of relics from high-tech past ages are out there to be found or people already have put them in use. I can't talk much about the system as I've only played it once. The setting is great and really inspirational to writing however.

Kuroneko

I'm planning on launching a Firefly group game as soon as I get my grading done, which should be over the weekend. Details can be found by clicking the image in my signature ;)
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

wander

At some point in the near future I also plan to GM games for both The Void (it's pay what you want on drivethru including Free) and also the Firefly system game.

The Void is more hard scifi survival horror, Firefly is a bit clunky at first if you don't know the system but I feel is more narrative. I'm not sure which I'd do first, but if anyone has any interest in either, please do let me know here. Bear in mind both games are system games, if you want to do freeform Firefly, Kuroneko would be the one for that. :)

Leodouble08

I do like something more in the realms of system games, so I'll have to take a look at both of those.

wander

A 5th adventure pay-what-you-want of The Void's Stygian Cycle campaign was recently released after a really long pause from the devs, so I'll be picking that up and looking into seeing what interest there may be here for people to pick up a free corebook pdf and give it a shot.

kckolbe

Quote from: wander on May 16, 2015, 04:00:23 PM
At some point in the near future I also plan to GM games for both The Void (it's pay what you want on drivethru including Free) and also the Firefly system game.

The Void is more hard scifi survival horror, Firefly is a bit clunky at first if you don't know the system but I feel is more narrative. I'm not sure which I'd do first, but if anyone has any interest in either, please do let me know here. Bear in mind both games are system games, if you want to do freeform Firefly, Kuroneko would be the one for that. :)

I'm normally not a fan of narrative-driven systems, but I thought Firefly was actually done pretty well, granting a lot of flexibility in character creation while remaining disturbingly simple.  I even bought a lot of the modules (all of which seemed too contrived in terms of obstacles) because I was so impressed with the system.  I would love to join if you do start one up and have some fun ideas for world-building options post Miranda.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

wander

Firefly is great and whilst a lot of fans of the show are here, not sure how many own and would shell out for the system, though I'll say it's for sure on the cards for me to run, I'll be running the pregens, but they give enough space for the characters to be far from railroaded along and make the adventures their own.

I'm going to see how my The Void game will go, then when I feel the time is right, I'll start an interest thread for Firefly. :)

slytherindoctor

I'm starting up a Star Trek group at the moment. It isn't system based, though.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=230704.0