A Village is miising their Witch: Any takers?

Started by consortium11, July 08, 2009, 07:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

consortium11

QuoteThe witch job that pays £50,000 

Wookey Hole is currently witchless
A job centre is advertising a "witch" vacancy with tourist site Wookey Hole, in Somerset, for £50,000 a year.

The witch, who has to live in the site's caves, is expected to teach witchcraft and magic.

Wookey Hole staff say the role is straightforward: live in the cave, be a witch and do the things witches do.

The advert for the post, placed in the local press as well as job centres, says applicants must be able to cackle and cannot be allergic to cats.

The job has come up after the previous witch retired from the role.

"We are witchless at the moment so need to get the role filled as soon as possible," said Daniel Medley from the tourist destination.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8138665.stm

;D

Also worthy of note; due to anti-discrimination laws they can't specifiy they want a female witch unless they can produce documentary evidence the original witch was female... so men can apply and possibly get the job.

Tachi

Haha, if they provided free wireless internet and allowed electronics, I'd so learn Wicca and apply.

Rhapsody

50,000 pounds a year?  Jesus, why do I not live in Somerset?
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

consortium11

You do have to live in a cave.

But on the other hand without having to pay for accomadation that makes the £50k nearly entirely disposable income... which is an awesome wage.

*Prepares to fake some warts*

Oniya

What's that come to in USD?  I can learn how to cackle...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

consortium11

Quote from: Oniya on July 08, 2009, 09:54:38 PM
What's that come to in USD?  I can learn how to cackle...

According to google the exchange rate is roughly 1.6 at the moment... so around $80k.

Really not bad...

Mnemaxa

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Marguerite

Needs to have wireless internet access, men/women able to come into my cave for 'private sessions', vacation time and maybe a good calling plan to get me in the door.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Serephino

They probably do want a woman because of the stereotype.  Though I am a witch.....  I guess it would depend on what kind of accommodations this cave had

Mnemaxa

I'd apply, but my practices won't permit me to take money for it, so I'm kind of out of luck. ^_^

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Jag

Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

consortium11

Should have probably posted this when it actually happened, but the witch has been selected.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6730568.ece

QuoteAs Carole Bohanan is happy to acknowledge, it is a big step up in her career. From now on the estate agent from Shepton Mallet, Somerset, will be known as Carla Calamity, the Witch of Wookey Hole.

Miss Calamity, who admits to being several hundred years old — it would be impolite to ask how many — beat 300 other witches to the most coverted job in covendom.

Avis habilis