News:

Main Menu

D&D rules questions

Started by Jeramiahh, December 06, 2007, 01:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefepato

Quote from: kongming on December 06, 2007, 06:31:00 PM
"The Sorcerer primarily draws his spells from the Sorc/Wiz spell list." It then goes on to talk about some Sorcerers ganking other spells through study.

Except the only specific example it gives describes the sorcerer learning a "sorcerer/wizard spell" that just doesn't happen to be on the PHB's list.  Other relevant text suggests that a sorcerer might have learned about "an unusual spell from an arcane scroll or spellbook."  The addition of "primarily," whatever the reasoning behind it, clearly was not meant to let you convert cleric and druid spells.

It could make a nice house rule, though.  It makes a certain degree of sense; some dragons can naturally cast cleric spells.  But having to pick from so many spell lists when you don't have any more spells known could make it all even more painful...

Quote from: kongming on December 06, 2007, 06:31:00 PM
If your answer was anything other than "None, AF is better than any number of MMs!" then you are wrong.

Unless you're fighting something incorporeal.  It can be hard to find a good force effect when you need one.

Far eyes

Or somebody with Mirror Image

A lot of low lvl spells lose effectiveness after a given time, some newer do. Ray of Enfeeblement is always good as a first spell against something large and muscular if you are in a party

My problem with spells are actually less their decreasing effectiveness and more the purely mechanical damage caps that are applied to them, so that most spells stop going up at either caster lvl 5-10-15. Witch for me makes no sense because why would Smeldrics lvl 10 Wizards Fireball be just as strong as Godsmackilus the lvl 37 Wizard (Yes I know that’s a retarded lvl and don’t get me started on epic) Fireball

Note: Acid fog is nice until something comes around and blows it away, I prefer Enervation for my lvl 4 spells except on the off chance of fighting Undead and Constructs
--

I will agree to disagree on Psionics as I know it is very hit and miss with people, but personally I like the mechanics I just don’t like the feel
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

kongming

The Dragon (or any number of other "I'm a monster who casts Cleric spells as Arcane!" creatures) could take "Scribe Scroll" and actually scribe a scroll of "Arcane Cleric Spell". Cheeky, but true. Heck, a 12th level Warlock can seriously go to town and do all sorts of stupid shit.

---

The damage caps were introduced in 2Ed, because people also (sort of) had HP caps. It was to keep things balanced (as in 1st Edition, there was a HP cap but not a damage cap - direct damage was brutal). The problem is that in 3Ed, people have a lot of HP. Suddenly, the damage caps don't make sense. But seeing as the save DCs suck for spells that aren't your highest 2 levels, it hardly matters. Or maybe I'm just bitter about my first foray as a fireball Sorceress against DM "Everyone's a Rogue! Evasion! HA!"

There's a really funny Prestige Class somewhere, a caster one that gains special abilities that unlock spell abilities from 1st and 2nd Edition. "Seeker of the Lost Mysteries" or something like that. They lose the damage caps to spells, their lightning bolts bounce off walls, and fireballs spread to fill the area.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Far eyes

Those Lightning bolts were suicidal

If you want to do stupid shit take an Artificer, by the time the DM knew what was happening I had disenchanted half his magical dungeon. As a main class it sucks, but as a back up character in a party with all the necessary slots occupied it is murder
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

A/A

kongming

I put it to you that the Artificer is murder full-stop. They get access to spells before anyone else does (they just have to make them - big deal), they break the wealth-by-level standard so that you have to use the Wish Economy, and they can do terrible things with wands (and afford to do it every single time).
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:

Far eyes

The problem with Artificer is the Wotc basically seas “The DM should control it” witch basically translates into “We know its horribly broken but we are trying to sell a campaign setting hear an we need all the unique stuff we can get even if we have to stick Halflings on dinosaurs”  ;) :P

--

Ok so here is one for the question part

Name me ways of getting SA that is not Faint, Hiding, grapple, Invisibility, Flick of the wrist or Nerphed Throw.

If it uses 1/use items is less then 100gp and if it uses a 1/day item (Noting custom) is not more then 3000-4000

A/A

Jefepato

Flanking, or just attacking flat-footed opponents (remember, everyone is flat-footed in combat before they first take action).

Far eyes

This is a 1 on 1 sort of situation, think of an arena match I should have added that to the list.

A/A

kongming

There is a magic sword in Savage Species that makes every attack you make (with it) a Flat-footed attack.

Casting Blink is an idea. Alternatively, you want to gain some kind of concealment (Darkness, things that make smoke etc.)

Grease causes the foe to become flat-footed - unless they fall, where they're prone AND flat-footed.

If you have rapid shot and two-weapon fighting and you throw acid flasks (why wouldn't you? Ranged touch attack sneak attacks, yeah!), then simply do that as an opening barrage in the first round of combat and they should be dead before the second round.

There's a feat in... PHB2? It lets you deal Sneak Attack damage on a critical hit (that is to say, every critical hit grants Sneak Attack damage). So take your Keen Scimitars and go nuts.

There might also be a feat that lets your Attacks of Opportunity automatically be Sneak Attacks. I think. Not sure.

Ons/Offs:

Far eyes

Hmm yes its PHB 2, its on my list of things to do

Grease might be a god option, granted it takes a little and is kind of short duration 1r.lvl (When did this happen, I remember it being longer)

The sword is a bit expensive if I remember right is about 20000-25000
--

Trying out a Spell thief build in an arena, going with ST X/ Ninja 2 for some extra AC and the nice disappearing act together with Faint.

A/A

schnookums

Oddly enough the feat that grants sneak attacks on attacks of opportunity is called "Sneak Attack of Opportunity."