The Spark (5e, furry friendly, MtG inspired, noob friendly)

Started by TheSithChicken, January 18, 2018, 10:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sain

I edited Autumn. Will look at the race book now.

e. Added homebrew race suggestion here:

Half faun Elf
+2 Wis
+1 Cha
(Or the other way around?)

Medium size, 30ft speed

-Darkvision
-Celver Learning - Language: Sylvan, Skill: Deception
-Helpless Appearance
-Fey Ancestry: You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

Snatched Fey Ancestry from outside the Fursona book since it would fit Autumn.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Hexed

Dan this took off fast. Now to remember that idea I had.  Cat person race though!

Lockepick

I'm leaning towards a Anthro-Fox Warlock using the Ashen Wolf Patron and the Criminal background -- sort of a stealthy skirmisher, trying to fill the rogue role. I like the dichotomy of a 'small' canine trying to emulate a 'big canine'.

As for the actual racial bonuses, I'll worry about that when we/if I get to that phase. Obviously I'd prefer a +2 Charisma, +1 Dex; and other racial stuff that behooves a rogue type. I'll toss up a full 'application' soon!
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Ollumhammersong

Hi i'm a polymorphic alien who has taken the form of this signiature to have sex with your pupils, and by the smile on your face I can tell your enjoying it.

silentwalrus227

I have a concept in mind for a gryphon anthro paladin if that wouldn’t be too out of place, but I need some help putting him together as far as stats.

Bibliophilia

TheSithChicken

@Bibliophilia - I think it would be truer to the source material for it to be +2 Cha +1 Dex but it's your interpretation of them. Honestly you could straight build them using the Fursona rules since you picked the book up. Hmm... that was you, right? I'm a little hungover.

@Zaer - +2 Wis +1 Str

Samurai
Level 3: Bonus proficiency, Fighting Spirit (5 temporary HP)
Level 7: Elegant Courtier
Level 10: Tireless Spirit, Fighting Spirit (10 temp HP)
Level 15: Rapid Strike, Fighting Spirit (15 temp HP)
Level 18: Strength Before Death

Bonus Proficiency: History, Insight, Performance, or Persuasion

Fighting Spirit: 3 times per long rest you can spend a bonus action to gain Advantage on attack rolls till end of turn plus gain a number of temporary HP as shown on the chart.

Elegant Courtier: You add your Wisdom modifier to all Charisma (Persuasion) checks. Plus you gain proficiency in Wisdom saving throws. If you already have that proficiency you gain proficiency in either Intelligence or Charisma saving throws.

Tireless Spirit: When you have no remaining uses of Fighting Spirit and roll initiative regain one use.

Rapid Strike: When you would make an attack with Advantage you may forgo the advantage and instead attack twice with that weapon. This ability may only be used once per round.

Strength Before Death: When you hit 0 HP (and not die) you can spend your reaction to delay falling unconscious and immediately take an extra turn. You fall unconscious at the end of this extra turn if you still have 0 HP.

@Sain - That race looks fine to me.

@Lockepick - Give me a day or so to put the race together because the base Fursona fox race doesn't fit foxes at all.

@Ollumhammersong - I am gonna need some free time to look those over. DnDWiki can be really... iffy in their balance and playability on things.

@silentwalrus - I've got you covered, my fine would be lion-avian friend! You will have to give me a bit to put it together but that sounds awesome.

Ollumhammersong

Hi i'm a polymorphic alien who has taken the form of this signiature to have sex with your pupils, and by the smile on your face I can tell your enjoying it.

Bibliophilia

I'm good with that one, too.  And, yeah, I've got the book.

Here's what I'm thinking for the race so far:

Cha +2/Dex +2, Dex +1/Cha +1 (Not sure on this one, yet.  They both make sense to me.  Anyone else wanna weigh in?)

Size: Medium

Speed: 30 ft (Swimming - 35 ft)

Darkvision

Hold Breath

Natural Camouflage

Schooling Formation

Light Blindness

As for her Theme, I'm torn between Mystic, because it fits her backstory and being a planeswalker, Favorable Fortune or Warning Coloration.  Any ideas?

Ollumhammersong

Typically in 5e you do +2/+1 for racial bonuses, I would probably say +2 cha/+1 dex based on the idea that it is a puazi

Sain

Yay. I'll add half fey to Autumn's sheet.

Quote from: Bibliophilia on January 20, 2018, 01:45:59 PM
I'm good with that one, too.  And, yeah, I've got the book.

Here's what I'm thinking for the race so far:

Cha +2/Dex +2, Dex +1/Cha +1 (Not sure on this one, yet.  They both make sense to me.  Anyone else wanna weigh in?)

Size: Medium

Speed: 30 ft (Swimming - 35 ft)

Darkvision

Hold Breath

Natural Camouflage

Schooling Formation

Light Blindness

As for her Theme, I'm torn between Mystic, because it fits her backstory and being a planeswalker, Favorable Fortune or Warning Coloration.  Any ideas?

Either should be fine probably? They are pretty nimble looking creatures after all. Warning colors sounds pretty cool if you already have the blend in feature. Sort of continuing with the whole water chameleon theme.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Zaer Darkwail

Thanks for the info on samurai TheSithChicken. However I still find it troublesome the 'best' feature samurai has asks bonus action and I am building a dual wielder. But then again I could spend action surge to activate it. First do regular attacks + fighting spirit, then use action surge and do full attack (along with extra one from off hand + bite) with advantage as well. Or that allow when using fighting spirit I can still make off hand attack (as normally it asks bonus action as well).

silentwalrus227

A rough draft, please feel free to chime in with feedback.

—�—�—�—�

Name: Zaran Taloncrest
Race: Anthro Gryphon
Class: Paladin
Plane of Origin: Draconis, a world not unlike Europe in the Dark Ages, complete with its own version of the Crusades fought between the devout, imperialistic armies of the Northern Alliance and the so-called heathens of the Eastern clans. Magic exists but is mistrusted, particularly by the fearful, simple peasants and members of the various religious orders. Magicians and spellcasters who don’t swear fealty to one of these zealous orders often find themselves hunted down and burned as heretics by Inquisitors.

Description: See pic. Zaran stands around 6’7”, 6’9” if one counts the crests of his broad wings folded at his back, slightly above average for his race. He typically wears a specially crafted suit of armor designed to allow the use of his wings, while also leaving his talons bared. The gryphon carries a broad shield and two blessed weapons, a spiked flail and a longsword. Bright blue eyes take in the world around him. On both sides of his neck the brown feathers are marked by a tattoo of an eye, matching golden symbol on his lavender tabard, the crest of the Order of the Vigilant, of which he is a member.

History: Zaran was one of those bright-eyed hopefuls for the Vigilant, one who sought adventure and the means to fight injustices and keep his homeland safe from evils. Spending the better part of a decade in some godforsaken wilderness, being spat upon by the children of the villages occupied by his comrades, and seeing prisoners tortured to the breaking point to force a conversion or a confession had changed that. Though his faith was shaken but unbroken, Zaran found he could no longer support this supposedly holy war of attrition.

Unfortunately his superiors did not take kindly to his questioning, and the paladin found himself shackled and on his way to the Capital to be questioned by an inquisitor when he felt his spark awaken. Through the cries of ‘witchcraft!’ and ‘heretic!’  he found himself very far from the world he had known his whole life...

Expectations: Fun, creative adventures with a crazy cast and the conflicts that arise from their differing cultures.
Fears: Everybody splitting off into smaller groups. The game dying due to disinterest.

Zaer Darkwail

Here is updated version of my char application with mythweavers char link on the name. Ofc up to GM decide do we have magic items at all in 5th level or not. Also even if it does not make much sense for my char have 'double' daisho set, it's part of his background (as other set belonged to his beloved and he carries the set as memento). But if he can have his weapons magical, I hope it applies to all 4 blades he has (he would not ever willingly hand his blades to anyone besides to store or carry them).

Name: Lupas Whitefang
Race: Anthromorphic wolf (need help create race)
Class: Fighter, Samurai Archtype/path
Plane of Origin: Plane of origin is called Rôkusho, which is similar to prime earth's feudal japan period ( sengoku period) expect inhabited by anthromorphic animals and having true magic in the world albeit practitioners of said art are rare and small in number. Clans are divided by species and overall crossbreeding is considered serious taboo. So for this reason clans are in constant warfare of dominance over the main contingent (as arranged marriages do not work but same species clan). Magic is viewed in fearful superstition and any true spellcasters, even renown and revered ones, are politely shunned best cases. Worst case commoners burn witches in their villages if they can get away doing so. Or worse.
Description: (besides pic), Lupas Whitefang is 7'2'ft tall, which to his own species, is very tall. He wears usually straw hat and simple robes to disguise him wearing armor and carrying four weapons; two katanas and two wakisashis (they are two different sets). His eyes gleam by golden color and his fur is pure white and he bears golden magical brand in his forehead, which in his own world native language written in the brand describes him as traitor-on-exile. Otherwise he wears regular feudal warrior fitting clothes, dark in color.
History
Lupas was heir to Whitefang clan, a powerful warrior clan renown for using dual blades which they refer call 'their steel fangs'. He as heir was skilled in clan's primary native style and renown for his speed and brutal strength with his blades. But as usual in wolf clan he was not only heir; heirs compete with one another until victor is found and declared as successor by their father. So Lupas dreamed to get throne of the clan like very other heir and was more than eager to prove himself.

But things changed, as his clan was raiding on territory he chased some enemy bushi into local forest but he soon lost track of them and also lost in woods. Then in woods he heard scream, he followed it and found the bushis he had been tracking....they were attacking a another samurai, a female from another clan. His clan was not in war with given clan but even so he had no obligations to help her. But help her he did, he slew the bushis and it started then awkward sort friendship, then friendly rivalry and then into love. This secret relationship lasted for many years, normally it would resulted in Lupas asking father arrange the marriage but there was one problem; his beloved was from a fox species, so they were not same and crossbreeding was viewed as sinful lustful act by eyes of society. So they both kept their romance hidden.

This lasted until one his brothers found out about the affair, deciding eliminate one rivals for throne the brothers ambushed the couple and exposed their sins to the public! Because two great clans were involved, it led to tradition where clans trade prisoners. Fox clan punishing Lupas and Whitefangs punishing Lupas beloved. Lupas punishment was surprisingly mild, as fox clan patriarch understood the circumstances how romance came to be and was grateful for sparing his daughter, but not forgive sin he has committed so he branded him with golden symbol on forehead and denounce his rank in Whitefangs and no longer be part of said clan. Whitefangs punishment was much harsher; they tortured and then killed his beloved. The fox patriarch was furious for form punishment took, but in silent gesture he handed over the blades which his daughter once owned to Lupas Whitefang, as silent request which Lupas grimly accepted. No words traded but intention clear enough; Lupas turned against his own clan as renegade ronin who started ambush, kill and slay his former brethren as bloody vengeance.

Then when he was cornered by clan's military and hunters, outnumbered greatly he was grimly willing to die and fight until he no longer would stand....then his spark opened and allowed him means to escape the trap set up by his clan by traveling another world altogether?! Thus begun life of Lupas Whitefang, a planeswalking ronin for hire.

Player

Expectations: Exciting cross-world adventures, not familiar with magic of gathering universe so eager to explore/learn more along the way.
Fears: Game dying because too many people = not all posting regularly and no chance explore my own char setting/world (and settle score with his former clan).

Chulanowa

You know what? I'm REALLY bad at deciding on characters! So, these are the three two one i'm working on and will (eventually) pick something from.

Name: Ulla Rhialle D'inietha
Race: Half-Unicorn (as Monstrous Races unicorn, but replaces "charge" ability with, like, hands)
Class: Sorcerer (Divine Soul)
Plane of Origin: Once, the world of Addetta was the construct of a mighty planeswalker, built from his dreams of technological beauty and order. Perhaps he lost a duel with a rival, or perhaps some sort of "infection" stepped in. But now Addetta is a riot of wilderness amidst the shining ruins and arches. One could mistake the place for the feywilds, with its rainbow-hued skies, fae courts, and riotous overgrowth. There are no real "civilizations" here, barring the seasonal courts of Eladrin and the occasional hive of clockwork gnomes and their formian servants.
Description: Ulla is tall, a few inches over six feet, and that's before you consider the slightly curved spiral horn growing from her brow, which adds another two feet. Her body is lean and well-formed though not overly muscular, clad in a short coat of silky pale hair with some light grey dapples. Despite her equine face, she carries an expression of charitable wisdom and mischief, like someone who does know much more than you, and plans to tease you with it for days on end. A thick mane of greyish-white hair cascades down her neck and back, leading to a slender, long tail that ends in a thick tuft of matching hair. She adorns herself like a mystic noble, with golden chains and charms and piercings, shrouded under a cloak of midnight blue velvet. Given the choice she'd rather wear nothing else, but she keeps an assortment of light scarves for when traveling among people of less rarified mores.
additional images

History
Ulla is the daughter of Nietha, the unicorn protectoress of the Llorthia Woodlands and the mirrored city within. Her father was the Wild Eladrin prince Tamthiel Rhialle, who took his daughter back to his own people as was custom. For another generation the alliance between the Eladrin and llorthia was cemented. But when Ulla began manifesting odd powers, things became... different. The girl was raised up as an oracle, a voice of the Vanished Ones who had built the world and placed the Eladrin as its rightful protectors.
   Ulla was this a sacred princess to her people, catered on, treated, spoiled rotten. As her magic grew stronger, she began using it for herself - for ease, for amusement. Never malicious, but... troublesome. Shen ever suspected that someone was watching. Her Mother's patrons, as it turns out, had taken quite an interest in the young half-breed, and were disappointed. during a ceremony, Ulla was whisked away from her people in a roar of green-golden flame.
   She stood before them, the Vanished Ones, the most ancient guardians of the plane. Part crystal machine, part verdant flesh, they judged the young princess, and found her wanting. She had no idea of her greater purpose, nor did they tell her of it, only that she must learn and grow, cease being a child. They cast her from Addetta, and she has been wandering since.

Runner-up
Name: Sensphar qa Nufret
Race: Gynosphinx
Class: Wizard
Plane of Origin: Amharkhet is less of a world than an occurrence. Known as the "City of Spires," it is made of mountains of stone, brought together by great chains of mana and bound into an expanse of mountains underneath a sky that is night at one end, day at the other. Beneath the spires is supposedly a great, hot ocean, whose geysers and steam vents fill the valleys between the spires with moisture. Most of the inhabitants of Amharkhet fly; those who do not rely on the mana chains to be effective (if risky) "highways." Civilized people live within cities carved into the mountains.
Description: Sensphar is a curious combination of lioness, woman, and eagle. Bare, dusky-skinned shoulders descend into leonine paws, framing a pair of perfectly human breasts beneath a thin linen slip. The rest of her body follows suit, a lithe and muscular feline form ending in a dark tufted tail. A pair of thickly feathered, broad wings grow from just below her shoulders, creating a striking frame for a classically beautiful human face, set with plush lips and piercing amber eyes. Her hair is dark, worn in a simple cut and adorned with a pair of thick braids.
additional image

history
Senphas never knew her mother or father; not unsurprising given the solitary lives of the sphinx, and that their young are born fully-formed and aware. Still, she was curious, and sought the answer to that question. She never found it (or at least, never found a straight answer, also fitting) but no matter. There was plenty else to learn. After all, a sphinx is not born all-knowing! For a great long time she lived in the wilderness of the peaks, hunting and studying the world around her, before that curiosity brought her to the city of Twarmentes, a Syrinx city built from an old topaz mine.
   She learned from - and eventually taught - great sages in that city. Scrolls and texts were hers to paw through. The knowledge of the world was at her claw-tips, but it was never enough. The swirl and dance of the stars and planets, moons and sun in the sky of Amharkhet though? There was a curiosity surprisingly few had explored - beyond those charlatan kenku and their cards and "star charts," pfeh. She devoted herself to astronomy, cataloging and studying the astral bodies in both day and night sky. She documented how the mana that chained the great stones of her world together emanated from the whorl and dance of these bodies together.
   And sometimes,she saw something beyond. A sky that did not dance and swirl, but whose stars remained fixed. Her burning need to know led to many a summoning spell cast, to call forth denizens from her sky, further and further out to inquire about what they knew and saw. None were helpful... until she reached further than ever before and was answered only with a voice. The voice promised her answers, even the ability to see for herself. All it would need is a favor, later. whether through burning curiosity or naivete, Senphas agreed...
   And has been unable to return to Amharket since. She can go anywhere except home. She understands now that she has been had, and aims to find that voice and renegotiate. Or maybe destroy it. She has to find the answer to return home... after all, that's where all her books are!

Player
Expectations: All of my ideas are explorers, so a variety of worlds and instances are good. meeting new and weird people, exploring the depths of the multiverse, and discovering that, all along, the real magic is Friendship™.
Fears: An endless string of private "yiffing" scenes that end up sucking people out of the main story / plot and stalling the whole thing. Sex is good, by all means, but I'm hoping for more than just the squishy bits!

Hexed

So not what I'd intended. But found a very nice set of pics while searching glowing. :D

Name: Brightfire of the Bluescale Tribe
Race: Tainted Kobold (small sized lizard thing. Biolumenescence, elemental stuffs. Have book so will ponder and offer up a race.)
Class: Warlock with Shadowcat Patron from compendium of forgotten secrets.
Plane of Origin: Golarion
Description: Standing at only three feet in height Brightfire is very much not the usual kobold. Her skin is soft instead of leathery with actual scales dotting it almost like freckles, A blackish grey in colour except of the patch of white that runs along her chest and down her stomach. Her eyes and mouth glow a vibrant and smoky blue. She actually has a thatch of hair the same grayish black as her skin, and long tapered ears. Her tail is a stubby affair and unlike her kobold kin she's actually got curves.
History: From the moment her egg cracked open and a glowing blue eye peered out the Bluescale Tribe knew Brightfire was going to be different. They just didn't realize HOW different she was going to be. Softer then her kin but with strange blue flames  she made up for it. While passable as a miner she always complained about things whispering in the dark, whispers that she eventually realized had meaning. She never did get a firm answer on why the Cat of Shadows sought her out but she's never regretted making that pact. Especially when the human adventurers attacked to 'cleanse the kobold scum' out of the mine. That they'd lived in for generations. All because there's some shiny and soft yellow metal.

The tribe fought and trapped and did their level best to be a nuisance. Brightfire even got into a dual of magics with the man that called on gods and the woman that had a big book. And then she exploded. Who knew pushing and channeling that much power would scatter one among the stars. Took her a while to figure out how to pull herself back to where she came from. Her response to finding her tribe gone and the mine worked by humans wasn't very nice. For the humans at least.

Expectations: Adventure! Strange stuff! Been ages since I've played MtG so all kinds of new wierdness.
Fears: Getting things garbled up with a lot of folks going in different directions. Being curbstomped by walking in on massive powerful thing that had no hints. :)

TheSithChicken

@Bibliophilia - I would go with +2 Cha/+1 Dex but it's your interpretation. As for theme... Mystic works but Warning Coloring is a really cool theme that works with how you built the race and is quite appropriate for an aquatic animal with chromatophores.

@silentwalrus - I like him. Haven't had time to write the race up yet. Will get that done tomorrow.

@Zaer - Haven't quite decided on starting magic items just yet but I have no problems with you have two daisho sets. It's not like it gives you any real advantage and it works with your story. The only concern I have is ...his weight. At 7'2" 180lbs he would be a skin and bones.

@Chulanowa - All 3 of those are interesting.

@Hexed - Love her.

Bibliophilia

-nods.-  Alright.  I'll go +2 Cha/+1 Dex, and Warning Coloration.  I like the odd sort of feel of a combination of goats, poison dart frogs and tropical fish that seems to have inspired InCase in creating their look.  I'm obviously drawing more heavily on the amphibian/aquatic aspects, which makes sense with the sex change ability, natural camo and, along those lines, the Warning Coloration.

It'll be interesting to build her as a monk.  I'll look through the archetypes and see if any of them feels more suitable for her traits/stats/theme than the main one.  Sorry, had PF brain.

TheSithChicken

@Bibliophilia - You might not have archetypes but you can find different Monastic Traditions to suit your character.

@Zaer - Anything below 300lbs is going to be really slim for that height. 220lbs is the average weight of a 6'3" football player.

Chulanowa

Quote from: TheSithChicken on January 21, 2018, 10:54:03 PM
@Bibliophilia - You might not have archetypes but you can find different Monastic Traditions to suit your character.

@Zaer - Anything below 300lbs is going to be really slim for that height. 220lbs is the average weight of a 6'3" football player.

What you don't know is that he's built like a whippet, and is just poofy. Lupas in a rainstorm looks like he's made of popsicle sticks.

Zaer Darkwail

Nah, plan is not make him into a poodle (more fur than muscle) in mass. I change his weight to 310lbs so he measures at toned/muscular build. Anyways on magic items on my table I gave players options; example pick 1 uncommon and 1 common magic items or have 3 common magic items (basically if you grade down a item you get double amount 1 grade less items). So could call everyone can pick 1 rare, or 2 uncommon or 4 common magic items (or 1 uncommon and 2 common magic items).

TheSithChicken

@Zaer - I like that idea. Remind me of that when I create the official Game Info/Character Creation thread.

silentwalrus227

Will we need to make full-fledged character sheets eventually?

TheSithChicken

Yes but not quite at the moment. I want to make sure the characters themselves are good before we get to the mechanics. The character is the important part after all.