So....Sci-Fi Pathfinder, anyone? (Interest Check)

Started by Angie, February 16, 2015, 03:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wargtass

So much craziness on just two pages of thread? Consider yourself bookmarked for when I come home from work...  ;D
O/O

rikka

Will firearms be considered exotic or martial weapons.

Also are there ways for someone to survive the vacuum of space for a long period of time? Are there escape pods?

Or will space be like fantasy space, where it is breathable and thus spacesuits are not required?
Whatever the outcome, it's on you.

Ons/Offs

rikka

Maud
Background: Maud comes from a tribe of bugbears that worships one of the greatest of the Great Old Ones, Azathoth. They pay the great power homage by frequently communing with him in strange droning hymns and praises, and by providing him with sentient sacrifices which they obtain through raids which they occasional conduct on the fringes of civilized space.  It was through these unfortunate victims, of bugbear raids, that Maud learned about a culture rich in life and opportunities beyond that of his enigmatic and savage tribe.  Maud wanted to go and experience this kind of life rather than living day in and day out the tribe’s dreary existence which would eventually lead to insanity.  No, the young bugbear would not have any of that, and planned carefully for his escape

He got his chance during a raid on a salvage ship, whose crew thought it would make a good buck by wandering into one of the Rim Sectors, and find anything worth retrieving.   They were dead wrong, and the ship and all hands were easily overpowered by the raiding bugbears.  During the commotion, Maud made his way to one of the ship's escape pods, having learned how to use one from one the hapless sacrificial victims before his life was offered by the will of Azathoth.  He intended to use the lifeboat to get to civilized space, and with its built-in homing device would get him there in a few days. Unfortunately things did not go the way Maud planned it.  When the escape pod launched, Maud was not safely secured and had an accident which left him pretty in a comatose state.  When he finally woke up he found himself aboard the "rusty shitbox", nursed back to health after remaining adrift in space for nearly four weeks.

Since his rescue, Maud has become a valuable member of the crew of the "rusty shitbox", providing muscle during tough fights, and as an indispensable pack mule when transporting of large amounts of loot during delving are involved.

Ons/Offs

Angie

Quote from: rikka on February 17, 2015, 06:32:38 AM
Will firearms be considered exotic or martial weapons.

Also are there ways for someone to survive the vacuum of space for a long period of time? Are there escape pods?

Or will space be like fantasy space, where it is breathable and thus spacesuits are not required?

1: I said the "Guns Everywhere" rule, which actually makes them SIMPLE weapons.

2: There will be suits. You guys have standard issues suits that will last for about 6 hours in the vastness of space and have an emergency distress signal as well.

3: We need to give the ship a fucking name.

4: Maud, did you spend ALL of your cash just on the gun and armor alone? I should think you'd have a lot more then what you spent...

Oh, by the by, Mera Nova is approve. 4 slots remaining.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

ExisD

I just realized that the octopus would probably beat my character in a match of wits.... This will be fun.

I also have a bunch of gold to still spend on things and have been trying to decide on them, maybe a backup melee weapon.... Hmm...

D12

Quote from: ExisD on February 17, 2015, 11:41:52 AM
I just realized that the octopus would probably beat my character in a match of wits.... This will be fun.

I also have a bunch of gold to still spend on things and have been trying to decide on them, maybe a backup melee weapon.... Hmm...

I enjoy the image of Astrid and Ringo playing holo-chess, and Astrid loosing. :P Relevant Image

Regarding a ship name; we should probably decide on a Captain.
I volunteer Mera, in the sense that she's a Black Marketeer and needs some muscle (and people who can stay off ship for more than 24 hours without their skin splitting open)

Also; I brainstormed a whole bunch of stuff regarding "Gillmen in Space" Not much is really different, made by Aboleths to explore space for them etc etc one of which is the idea that Gillman-made spacecraft are referred to as 'Steam Ships' because the artificial atmosphere is practically dripping wet with humidity and heat (so the Gillmen on board don't have to worry about drying out).

I think it would be amusing if our spaceship was a perpetual sauna 'cause.
Quote from: Angiejuusan
D12 has earned the power of the GM's Laughter! This does nothing but tell the world you made the GM laugh out loud!

rikka

Was going for an enchanted armor but then Maud would have nothing left much less bullets. Will finalize on Maud's other stuff.

So how many player character slots were you aiming for?

Ons/Offs

Angie

6, with you being slot 3.

Also, did you miss the whole "guns cost 10% of standard list price" thing? Because by my calculations, Maud has spent 570 gold credits out of a maximum of 3000. That breastplate isn't marked as Masterwork so I'm using the base price. You have 2,430 credits remaining. Would you like to spend more?

rikka

Ah, forgot that part. More money for Maud then but I'm not sure what other magic stuff I can get for him at this point.

Ons/Offs

Chulanowa

Quote from: rikka on February 17, 2015, 07:31:09 AM
Maud
Background: Maud comes from a tribe of bugbears that worships one of the greatest of the Great Old Ones, Azathoth. They pay the great power homage by frequently communing with him in strange droning hymns and praises, and by providing him with sentient sacrifices which they obtain through raids which they occasional conduct on the fringes of civilized space.  It was through these unfortunate victims, of bugbear raids, that Maud learned about a culture rich in life and opportunities beyond that of his enigmatic and savage tribe.  Maud wanted to go and experience this kind of life rather than living day in and day out the tribe’s dreary existence which would eventually lead to insanity.  No, the young bugbear would not have any of that, and planned carefully for his escape

He got his chance during a raid on a salvage ship, whose crew thought it would make a good buck by wandering into one of the Rim Sectors, and find anything worth retrieving.   They were dead wrong, and the ship and all hands were easily overpowered by the raiding bugbears.  During the commotion, Maud made his way to one of the ship's escape pods, having learned how to use one from one the hapless sacrificial victims before his life was offered by the will of Azathoth.  He intended to use the lifeboat to get to civilized space, and with its built-in homing device would get him there in a few days. Unfortunately things did not go the way Maud planned it.  When the escape pod launched, Maud was not safely secured and had an accident which left him pretty in a comatose state.  When he finally woke up he found himself aboard the "rusty shitbox", nursed back to health after remaining adrift in space for nearly four weeks.

Since his rescue, Maud has become a valuable member of the crew of the "rusty shitbox", providing muscle during tough fights, and as an indispensable pack mule when transporting of large amounts of loot during delving are involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6xntQJmesc

Just gotta point out... charisma 8 on a bloodrager is kind of weird. You won't be able to cast any spells!

rikka

Ah, did not realized that. Going to have to adjust then.

Ons/Offs

D12

D12 has earned the power of the GM's Laughter! This does nothing but tell the world you made the GM laugh out loud!

rikka

Actually inspired to make a bugbear character because of him.

Ons/Offs

D12

I always thought he was more of a Hobgoblin, but yeah, dude is totally a space-goblin.

ExisD

He looks familiar, but I can't quite place him. What series is that?

D12

Star Wars Rebels. The latest Star Wars universe TV series.

ExisD

Gotcha, it's been a long time since I've seen any of them so that makes sense.

I also finally figured out what to spend the last bit of my money on, weapons that will let her pen DR assuming someone tells her which to use.

D12

I'm thinking Mera will be some manner of scientist / drug cook so she's got a fair splattering of the Knowledge skills. Heavy focus on Nature with the idea she's a biologist.

I like the idea that Gillmen were created by the Aboleth to explore the universe because the Aboleth; being giant aquatic creatures, are ill-built for space travel. I like to think all Gillmen are kinda; "Yeah, we know why we exist. All this existentialism is kind of silly; now tell me about your planet? Are their oceans?" takes notes.

Just this insular culture that's 'we exist for a reason' they've got cartels and mafias and soldiers and scientists but they all serve the same semi-silent masters.

Plus Aboleth totally look like something you'd find at the bottom of some dark alien ocean psychically spreading its thoughts out into the void:

Chulanowa

Hrm, I'd had an idea for a male kitsune spellcaster, but amazingly enough, finding an image is... really difficult (especially as i don't 'do" kemonomimi, if I can get out of it.) Hmmm. maybe back to the drawing oard

Angie

So we still have 3 slots open, if anyone's interested.

rikka

Ons/Offs

eBadger

I'm putting something together now, actually :)  Still figuring out the personality, but a Firefly/Pathfinder mashup sounds fun. 

What skills would you want for a mechanic type?  Knowledge: Engineering, or would a Craft work? 

Angie

Quote from: eBadger on February 19, 2015, 03:59:04 PM
I'm putting something together now, actually :)  Still figuring out the personality, but a Firefly/Pathfinder mashup sounds fun. 

What skills would you want for a mechanic type?  Knowledge: Engineering, or would a Craft work?

Both will work for ship repairs. Craft: Starships will allow you to forge new parts while Knowledge Engineering would allow for mid-flight 'jury rigging'. Both skills can do repairs if you have the parts-it's just getting the parts that's the problem!

eBadger

ERN-251
Android Feral Hunter

GM Info
When the Vigos Protectorate found itself on the losing end of a bloody occupation they turned to robotics for the answer: synthetics to take roles on the spearhead of commando raids and jungle patrols that wouldn't add to the statistics on the vid reports back home.  A highly advanced culture, Vigos innovated a new bio-synthetic hybrid frame easily capable of meeting mission parameters, but were unable to create the complicated cortex needed for intricate missions and scenarios that a golem couldn't handle.  They approached Dr. Bomei, a prodigy in the field, to complete the project: however, as he explained, the issue at heart was the conflict between the necessary intelligence and the stranglehold the military insisted be in place on any free will. What they wanted were slaves, and he refused to participate - until the Protectorate made it clear refusing wasn't an option. 

The eRN Project was the culmination of Bomei's work: sentient, living cyborgs able to reason, learn, adapt and specialize - both mentally and physically.  As he predicted, however, the limiting circuits were shackles around their minds, enforcing loyalty through pain, lobotomy or even death should the eRN's even consider deviating from orders.  Their success ensured their slavery would continue: within a few years the rebellion on Santos III had been broken and the Protectorate planned to expand the project for use on other troublesome civilian populations. 

Dr. Bomei wasn't ready to accept his part in the tragedy, however.  In a daring act of espionage he permanently sabotaged the limiting circuits in the guise of an upgrade.  It was a one-way mission, one he knew there was no hope of escaping from once the eRN's were loose, but his creations surprised him: their first act of freedom was self sacrifice, assaulting the base where Bomei was held and extracting him from the Protectorate's control.  The mission cost them heavily, leaving the survivors scattered across space, and earned them a reputation as half-psychopathic monsters a breath from losing control and murdering their allies. 

Obviously, none of this is included in the official version of the story, and 251 is rarely inclined to dispute it.  Hunted and on her own, an intimidating reputation is sometimes the best defense available. 

A bio-synthetic android developed by the Vigos Protectorate two decades ago, ERN-251 - Erin to the meat, or 251 to those inclined to show respect - was one of a couple thousand commandos developed by the military to destroy a blighted cult infecting the peaceful jungle world of Santos III.  Erin herself was among the first models; she served on the ground before training as a drop ship pilot.  She doesn't discuss Santos III much, but the androids were known to be bloodthirsty and merciless.   

When the blight was defeated and peace restored the ERN's became increasingly difficult to control: violence was hardwired into their systems and they failed to adapt to an end to hostilities.  There are even concerns that the adaptive matrices may have assimilated aspects of the demon worshipers even as the robots destroyed them.  After several attempts to remedy the problem the entire series was regretfully slated for demolition, but not soon enough: in a vicious act of terrorism they turned upon the Vigos en masse, killing thousands - including the scientists from the project who could have deactivated or corrected them.  The Protectorate fleet annihilated most of the ERN's, but a few have scattered to the edges of civilization, working with anyone foolish or desperate enough to trust a psychopathic computer one glitch away from murdering the entire crew. 

The good news is that 251 brings skills vital to the daily operation of the ship: she is an expert pilot and mechanic that never needs to sleep.  Her adaptive technology - a system of nanites capable of re-building or enhancing sections of her body as needed - and skill at arms have also come in handy, as has her experience in the wild.  All of which probably makes putting up with her worthwhile; fortunately the grudge she holds against most meat seems to have diminished around the crew as they've proven both useful and trustworthy. 

Of course, that could just be a way to lower your guard. 

Magic Items
Remote Interface Synapse: This headpiece projects a display band and connects to the wearer's neural pathways, allowing the user a hands free link to any nearby electronic device to provide a remote control, command console, or simply as a portable screen.  (1000g, as Message, Continuous)

Defensive Energy Matrix: These bracers create a barrier of focused magical energy to protect the wearer.  Highly effective in combat, their intense power usage results in a high recharge time.  (800g, Shield, 2/day)

Character Sheet

Angie

Neat! And that reminds me, I need to give you all Commlinks...you need some way of keeping in contact while exploring the planet's surface!