Pathfinder Adventurer's Guild-Interest Check

Started by kckolbe, September 23, 2013, 09:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tydorei

Blinkin

I don't have a problem with half-drow myself, the LE thing wouldn't be something one of my characters would seek out, but as long as the character doesn't actively screw the party over, any of my characters would work with one.

As far as concepts go, I'm waffling between two. The ultimate decision will depend on character generation and what hits me as most useful at that point. Either a swashbucker (rogue) or a straight fighter.

in either case, the basics are the same in backstory.

Character (Yet to be named) grew up with her mother, a barmaid at one of the local inns, had always wondered about her father. Her mother refused to speak of it though and the result was that character believed that her father had been either a customer who got too frisky, or her mother had been forced. While the child of violence didn't make her happy, it wasn't a direct impact on her life and she ran the streets as a child until she was caught doing something illegal one day. The alledged victim saw something in her and required that she attend him for a period of 3 years as payment for her act... or go to the stocks and the judgement of someone less... forgiving. During this time, she learned the basics of the way of the blade and the dance.

When her mother dies of an illness, she finally reveals that her father hadn't been a one-time thing, but a romance with the son of a noble that was doomed from the start. The character's father was forced to set her mother aside or loose his inheritance... in the end marrying for politics and never knowing that he had a daughter. When the character confront her father to tell him of her mother's death, she is quietly bought off (The starting gold) and pushed out the door with the demand that she never return... but she will return once she can face him as an equal and demand recognition of who she should be.

It's basic and I'll expand more on this as things progress and the character is generated.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

kckolbe

Blinkin: The thing different about this game as opposed to standard D&D adventures is that you don't *have* to try to make your char get along with another character.  We are going to have about PCs, it seems, making it pretty easy to avoid the ones you don't like.  Chaotic Evil could even be allowable, though getting his employers in trouble could mean serious problems.

Also, I know creation rules will affect your decision, and I promise to post them as soon as we decide on them, though there are other things we are trying to decide as well.

Tydorei:  You know I love your char concepts, still waiting to see your char for Katataban's game.

Finn:  Happy that you're happy.  Looking forward to working with you.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Ershin

Definitely interested in this, though I won't be able to put down a background for a character unti about friday or so when I'm re-united with my computer and its physical keyboard (currently posting on a phone).

Countdown0

Remember, as lawful evil, my character wont be just going around murdering random innocents. He's the smart kind of evil. :D
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

amol

Quote from: Countdown0 on September 25, 2013, 05:07:54 AM
Remember, as lawful evil .....  the smart kind of evil. :D

lol - so basically you are going to be a politician? Or maybe a lawyer with a conscience :)

--- seriously I have nothing against RL politicians or lawyers (at least not as a uniform group) ...just couldn't resist that one.
To all the people I RP with: I'm getting quite ill at the moment. So if I do not reply to games in the coming days it's not because I've abandoned you. It'll be because I can't.

kckolbe

Hey Ershin, glad you are interested.  There is no rush on concepts at all.  We are far from ready to accept them, actually.

Countdown, I really don't need reassurances.  If other characters enjoy working with him, then he'll be fine.  If not, he'll be alone.  Either way is perfectly acceptable in my eyes.  The same goes for all alignments.  A lawful good character could be a real prick.  A neutral character could be well-liked, but seen as "not carrying his weight."  Hell, one fighter may not want to work with another because they both like the same kind of gear, and one might be selfish (a common issue on WoW).  Characters can and should be picky about who they choose to work with.  It's great for character development. 
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

EroticFantasyAuthor

Will playing two characters at the same time be allowed?(Sisters)

kckolbe

No.  I may allow PCs that prove reliable to take on NPCs as their own, but no one will be allowed to submit multiple characters.

Intro Thread

Blinkin

I'm leaning heavily toward the swashbuckler (Rogue archetype) simply because I like the versility of the class and the idea of being a witty, urbane sort of character with the fancy moves... and the clothes, of course. ;)

As I mentioned, I don't have a problem with LE, or even NE alignments, they can be fun to play with. If the character gets too much of a head, he or she might find him/herself without much work, but it's just as true for anyone.

I have played with evil aligned characters who seemed to delight in the "evil" part and just do whatever they wanted to screw the party and get themselves ahead. That was my only thought on the matter, and is not a universal trait.

As an example, in one table-top game I played in, our NE thief found out that the party had gotten a bounty on their heads for ruining some evil plot of the arch villian. So, to make himself some gold... he tricked the party into a position of getting captured and collected the bounty on the party... To be fair, once he was paid, he broke the party out again, but tensions between the thief and the rest of the party never recovered.

I usually have two laws of gaming that I ask be observed. The first one is that there be no attempts to hurt or kill a fellow party member. Argue all you want, get into a bitch slapping contest and shoot each other murderous looks, but don't devide the party with open warfare. (Of course, once that party breaks up, this rule doesn't really apply)
The second rule is that theives not steal from fellow party members. I've seen this one kill not just a party, but a gaming group at a table-top game. Just bad business all around.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

EroticFantasyAuthor

So many possible options for characters, having trouble narrowing concepts down.

amol

If you - or anyone else for that matter - would want to bounce a few ideas around then I'm more than willing. I am one of those weird persons that can amuse myself for hours just creating characters I'll never get to play......
To all the people I RP with: I'm getting quite ill at the moment. So if I do not reply to games in the coming days it's not because I've abandoned you. It'll be because I can't.

Teo Torriatte

Hey there... is it too late to get in on this? Too early?

amol

This is still an interest check. No real recruiting has begun yet :D

But that being said, kckolbe is the uber god here and has the final say ;)

CurvyKitten

I've been looking over the pathfinder book and trying to figure out what I'd want to play and coming up with concept to work behind it. But I am still here and interested, reading along and plotting hehe

Ghostwheel

Like Amol said, this is just an interest-check thread, so you've probably got a couple of weeks (maybe a month) before this actually goes live.

bigwad73

I'd be interested in playing someone who is a staff member in the guild--say a low level mage that does research and helps prep parties for their adventures.  Not sure if that would fit in, though. 
Bad puns!  Horrible jokes!  Odd SF and Fantasy references!  Mastery of useless information!  Expert in old TV shows and movies!  And yes, I'm "mature"!    Ons and Offs   And more    Interests   NEW As and As as of 5/12/16. Look here!!!!

kckolbe

First off, Ghostwheel and amol are spot on.  All spots are open and unclaimable in this thread. 

Blinkin posed some interesting thoughts about pvp-related rules.  How does everyone feel about them?

Bigwad73, that is a very doable concept.  I figured some folks would want to play support characters that rarely go on missions.  We can work something out once the recruiting thread is up.  Most likely something like higher starting level, but lower attributes and slower xp progression.  Sound about right?

Intro Thread

Muse

I'm not leaving over an evil character because of the nature of this game, but PVP would not make me happy. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Blinkin

I really wasn't talking about PVP. It's been my experience that PVP generally kills a game because you get people who only want to kill other characters and once you loose a character or two like that, you loose interest really fast.

The two request on character behavior (No killing other party members and no stealing from the party) were more to keep parties from falling apart over inner squabbles becoming physical. The second part, "What you do after the job..." was more a bit of humor than anything. I would not be in favor of PVP in any way.

My other comment, on doing the mechanics of combat in a side-thread was that the problem with combat in PBP is that players don't post quickly enough, which wouldn't change in a side thread... so the main thread would basically sit idle while the same amount of time is spent working the combat out off thread. In that event, you might as well keep it in the main thread and hope that players post more regularly. My personal thought is that during combat that a 72 hour posting limit be used. From the beginning of a round, all combatants have 72 hours to respond or loose the action... or have their characters NPCed and risk all that it involves. 3 days should be plenty of time for anyone to get around to a short post and dice roll.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

EroticFantasyAuthor

KC, what content are you so far considering to allow?

bigwad73

Quote from: Blinkin on September 25, 2013, 06:28:07 PM
(snip)
My other comment, on doing the mechanics of combat in a side-thread was that the problem with combat in PBP is that players don't post quickly enough, which wouldn't change in a side thread... so the main thread would basically sit idle while the same amount of time is spent working the combat out off thread. In that event, you might as well keep it in the main thread and hope that players post more regularly. My personal thought is that during combat that a 72 hour posting limit be used. From the beginning of a round, all combatants have 72 hours to respond or loose the action... or have their characters NPCed and risk all that it involves. 3 days should be plenty of time for anyone to get around to a short post and dice roll.

One game I played in had each character list a standard attack that they would execute for both ranged and melee combat.  That was listed on the character sheet for each character.  That way, if someone didn't respond, at least there was a fallback for a combat action.

Also, being a supporting character would be great!  Thanks!
Bad puns!  Horrible jokes!  Odd SF and Fantasy references!  Mastery of useless information!  Expert in old TV shows and movies!  And yes, I'm "mature"!    Ons and Offs   And more    Interests   NEW As and As as of 5/12/16. Look here!!!!

Blinkin

That would be a fair option, although it amounts to the same thing as your character being NPCed for the round that you didn't respond in. The way I see it, if the round is simply lost, then perhaps the character is excluded from being hit... and loosing some of the total exp for the encounter, where as if the character is NPCed, there's equal chance of getting hit and damaged (perhaps even killed).

Again, the problem seems to be with everyone waiting for one player to post and therefore everything grinds to a stop. Either way solves the problem to some extent.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

CurvyKitten

I'm just fine with those house rules, they are ones that I normally try and play by anyway. Granted I played a kinder (or kender...I think) once that didn't...hehe Though she didn't steal from the party she 'borrowed". It honestly became a game between the party members towards the end of our campaign.

AndyZ

I recommend the problems of PVP aren't considered killing players only.

I had a character once who played a rogue who blatantly stole in front of my paladin.  When my paladin finally reacted after repeated warnings by trying to smite him (the rogue really was evil), the DM (the boyfriend of the rogue) said that I lost my paladin powers.

Stealing from party members, hiding the choice bits for yourself, and any number of similar issues can all cause the same kinds of problems as outright PVP.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.