Lucas changes Star Wars..again.

Started by Wolfy, September 03, 2011, 11:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Darth Vader's 'Nooo!' in Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (ACTUAL Blu-Ray Clip)

Yep, so for the new Blu-Ray DVD release of all six films, George Lucas has decided to make even more changes to the Star Wars Films.

The one being most talked about is above, where Darth Vader says "No. NOOOO!!!" before betraying Palpatine. <3

Thoughts, oh Nerds of Elliquiy? :D

Brandon

Seems at best unneccessary and at worst a strange idea. There are other scenes in the movies that could use a change but this isnt one of them. I mean ok the first no, Im fine with because presumably its his first defiance against the emporer since he became Darth Vader. Thats fine, thats cool, it fits for the scene

However the second no just seems to be there for no real reason and makes Vader less of a badass IMO
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Slaven

Quote from: Brandon on September 03, 2011, 11:45:16 AM
Seems at best unneccessary and at worst a strange idea. There are other scenes in the movies that could use a change but this isnt one of them. I mean ok the first no, Im fine with because presumably its his first defiance against the emporer since he became Darth Vader. Thats fine, thats cool, it fits for the scene

However the second no just seems to be there for no real reason and makes Vader less of a badass IMO

..Yeah, slashing Vader's badassness so was not cool.
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

Oniya

I am so glad I bought the un-edited version when it was available.  Han shoots first, Jabba doesn't show up until Jedi, and that one stormtrooper did clonk his head on the door.

Edit:  One more thing:  'Yub yub.'  (Anyone who gets that has definitively seen the originals.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Slaven

Silverfyre

My life's purpose is now to fire Lucas into the sun.

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Will

Quote from: Slaven on September 03, 2011, 11:52:45 AM
..Yeah, slashing Vader's badassness so was not cool.

After the prequels, I'm not sure there's any baddassness left to slash.

The whole reason the originals were great was because Lucas had people to second-guess him.  People to say, "Listen, George, that doesn't make any sense."  There's no one to do that, now.  And despite how hugely popular the originals were, he clearly still thinks they weren't "right."  He's a self-absorbed, deluded nutjob with a shit ton of money and no original ideas to spend it on.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

I pretty much gave up on the prequel trilogy.  The animated one wasn't so bad, but seeing Vader as a snot-nosed kid was like someone breaking out Vlad Tepes' baby book. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Slaven

Quote from: Will on September 03, 2011, 05:15:55 PM
After the prequels, I'm not sure there's any baddassness left to slash.

The whole reason the originals were great was because Lucas had people to second-guess him.  People to say, "Listen, George, that doesn't make any sense."  There's no one to do that, now.  And despite how hugely popular the originals were, he clearly still thinks they weren't "right."  He's a self-absorbed, deluded nutjob with a shit ton of money and no original ideas to spend it on.

...I don't consider the prequels in my calculations. They are not Star Wars, they are just made by the same person. >.>

Brandon

I know I probably speak blasphemy here but I didnt think the prequels were that bad. They werent as awesome as the originals sure but they werent really bad besides a few plot holes. The only thing that really limited them was the fact that the 3rd one really should have been two movies. One dealing with the war for Kashyyk and general Grevious and one that handled his fall to the dark side. It was pretty clear they tried to fit to much into one movie and it made the entire prequels not work as well

Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Oniya

My problem with the prequels is mostly the sequencing.  If you go into them not knowing that the whiny kid grows up to be Vader, it's probably not as jarring.  The 'reimagining' done in the DVD and now BluRay releases is the real heresy.

Slaven

Quote from: Brandon on September 03, 2011, 10:14:40 PM
I know I probably speak blasphemy here but I didnt think the prequels were that bad. They werent as awesome as the originals sure but they werent really bad besides a few plot holes. The only thing that really limited them was the fact that the 3rd one really should have been two movies. One dealing with the war for Kashyyk and general Grevious and one that handled his fall to the dark side. It was pretty clear they tried to fit to much into one movie and it made the entire prequels not work as well

..I actually kinda agree with the third movie thing. Still, all the whining and the cry baby moments kinda ruined Vader. Had they removed the tears, it could have been acceptable.

Silverfyre

Slaven

Telivi

Sometimes those "in 5 seconds" and the other things like it are way better than the originals.  That one was one of 'em.

Eh, it's sad that he keeps adding new things, yes.

I think of the "prequels" as fanfiction, to be honest.

Keelan

Quote from: Silverfyre on September 03, 2011, 10:44:13 PM
This sums up the third movie pretty well for me:

Star Wars in 5 seconds
...am I the only one who watched this and her first thought was 'wait, that was longer than five seconds!' >.>

But yeah, aside from the aforementioned problems with them - and that sin against all things good and decent named Jar Jar Binks - the 'first' three are not so bad.  I do wonder what the hell happens to Ahsoka Tano from the animated series before Episode III... can anybody answer that?

Slaven

..Sadly enough, I thought Jar Jar Binks was the only redeeming quality of the three. Gave me a slight little fulfillment despite the obvious lack of Ewoks.

Sabby

I love not being a Star Wars fan ^^ I know I'm parroting Yahtzee here, but only because he worded it so much better then I could. Star Wars has been steadily falling apart after the second movie and the level of denial from hardcore fans is just fun to watch.

And people who claim Jar Jar is racist have their racism filter all wonky. Yes, he looks, acts and talks like an illiterate black slave, but they kind of missed the asians in the Trade Federation and the flying Jew ripping Anakins mum off...

Xanatos

This is what happened to Ahsoka Tano. See Spoiler.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Love that "5 sec" vid -laughs-. "Boy did I bet on the wrong horse."

Well just play devil's advocate for a split second, Lucas owns Star Wars, so he can do as he likes.

Back to reality! Lucas really does need to quit jacking up Star Wars. The shit he lets happen to such a glorious universe makes me cry. I could go on down a list of rants I have against things he has allowed/done, one of them the tragedy that is the recent Bioware KOTOR MMORPG. I will now begin a severe rant. Anyone who isn't a strong SW nerd like me, might not want to read.
For gods sake, SITH DO NOT GET FUCKING BULLRUSHED BY BLOODY EFFING MUDANE AS HELL CLONE TROOPERS THAT DID NOT EXIST!! Why in the hell are they wearing crappy looking stormtrooper armor? Why ARE THE SITH using Star Destroyers and TIE Fighters?! WHY DID THE TROOPER AND THE SITH LORD NOT GET ATOMIZED BY A POINT BLANK GRENADE BLAST?!?!

My lord, the lunacy alone in the that KOTOR trailer, is maddening! Then you add in the prequels, the crap-tastic Yuuzhan Vong (me and my friend thoroughly picked that race and its pathetic over powered self to bits and tiny pieces. We found ways, within Star Wars tech limits/possiblities, to beat the Vong without much effort). No Force signature? Fine, I still see a void in the Force which is the Vong and just hack and slash at the black shape within the Force energy... Force Vision anyone? Kill the thing that I can't see through! Besides, since the Force is essentially the life essence of the entire Galaxy, the Vong could not exist, so that solves everything right there. But blowing their World ships to bits and pieces, and just simply (guess what), cutting their FREAKING heads off with a lightsaber or a precise sniper shot, kills them too and is so much more fun!

Why in all that is creative and enjoyable, is Star Wars merely a damned circular occurrence of the same events that happen over and over and over? Sith attack Republic, kill Jedi, Jedi survive, retaliate, drive Sith away, Republic grows back with Miracle Grow, rinse and repeat. I kid you not... Look at Wookiepedia and read the history in chronological order. Its Sith versus Jedi/Republic without fail. They added in some Mandolorian for some spice but then the fans and now Bioware beat that one to death (I loath Mandolorians). One of the wars is Sith wannabes, but eventually even they get subsumed by the Sith. -gags- Why can the Jedi not learn from over TEN THOUSAND years of mistakes and STOP making them?! The Jedi are supposed to be wise beyond compare thanks to the Force. Even an idiot could tell that the Jedi pretty much bring about the Sith every time. They feed the ranks by causing their pupils to spurn their teachings in disgust, somehow becoming evil in the process.

That is another thing! Suddenly just because people don't agree or make life mistakes, they turn evil? How many bloody times has that been used in SW cannon? I'm evil! No I am not anymore, I decided I was being stupid and want to be good again, just because someone told me I was stupid and now I suddenly realize I was such a goober.

Now we have Bioware doing the same damn thing -sighs-. Can anyone be semi-original? Is Star Wars a universe only populated by Sith, Jedi and their Republic lapdogs? Is there not a diverse minagerie of aliens and cultures? Zeltrons, Whiphids, Lorridians, Gand, Zabrak, and the list goes on! What ever happened to new and cool star ships that aren't knock offs of the originals? Why is the SW universe technologically stunted? Why do they call particle weapons lasers? Lasers are a constant stream of energy, while particle energy is a burst of energy that hits equally like a solid object as well as energy. They are not using laser cannons, they are using Particle cannons. Only in Clone Wars did they actually show an honest to god laser cannon, but it was a minor secondary weapon.

Star Wars has Killer Whales for aliens, Werewolves, squid, octopusses, an over abundance of insectoids, and so much more! Does anyone feel like going into a Gothic styled Zoo where the animals might rip your heads off or just bite you and cause you to reawaken later as one of them? There was even a Vampire! Created by the Force in some freak experiment gone wrong! -cringes-

Having vented many of my frustrations with the EU, I still am a diehard Star Wars fan. It is an awesome universe, and of course ORIGINAL first three movies. It captures my imagination like nothing else, and probably like nothing else ever will. In my Graphic design classes, I have used Star Wars to give me inspiration for a few projects, saving me from a previously stalled inspiration.

So as not to bore people with my SW nerdom, I have spoilered more of my ranting, good ranting this time.

Many of the SW novels are great. Thrawn Trilogy was good. Thrawn was such an awesome bad guy. They should have kept him around. Yes, he was powerful, but they should have created a counter to him which kept the Empire and Republic duking it out, or with Thrawn causing havok, and the Republic having to struggle (not as much as the books though), to keep up with his brilliance. The thing about Thrawn, though, was that it was all logical and reasonable. He was not a god complex character. If anyone analyzes his tactics, he was not doing anything impossible. His greatest strength was to see patterns in behavior and predict outcomes. Even I do that! To a lesser extent, yes, but anyone can do it really, even if they don't realize it. He thought outside of the box, equal in value to his behavior prediction, actually.

Starfighters of Adumar of the X-wing series was great! Wedge and his self proclaimed merry band of reprobates were hilarious. Wes Janson and Wedge himself had be laughing so much. Besides the Humor, the book was very well written.

All said and done, I just wish Lucas would leave SW alone, leave it to the people who do it justice, or be more selective in what he allows to become cannon. Is that too much to ask for?

Slaven

*Bows at Xanatos' feet and praises him for his knowledge and obvious frustrations of the subject as a whole.*

Actually, I pretty much love everything in your ran spoiler, including the information on Bioware..My gods did they make me hate Mandolorians.

MarkFischer

As far as I can tell, George Lucas created something grand, then proceeded to carefully ram it into the ground.

meikle

Quote from: Sabby on September 04, 2011, 12:27:52 AMStar Wars has been steadily falling apart after the second movie and the level of denial from hardcore fans is just fun to watch.

o_O

Most hardcore fans I know are at the front of the line to let everyone know that Lucas is doing his best to 'fix' something that nobody thinks is broken (and breaking it in the process).
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Xanatos

Thanks Slaven. Good to hear someone else agreeing with my sentiments. Its frustrating to love SW and yet hate it at the same time. Its just one of those love hate relationships. Alas!

Sabby

I've met hardcore fans who say that "Force Unleashed 2 actually fits quite nicely between episodes 3 and 4" >.>