A 'Favorite Topics' List

Started by Jeramiahh, April 03, 2007, 02:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeramiahh

Y'know what I'd really love? A way to have a list of favorite topics, easily accessible, probably with a single click from the main page.

Right now, the "Show new replies to your posts" is fantastic, and I use the hell outta that, but I've noticed it's buggy, and sometimes won't show a thread that has been posted in, and shows ALL threads you've posted in, even and especially what might be days after you post in it, and then lose interest. I know there's been a few from the Players Wanted that have dragged out for dozens of posts over a few weeks. It also doesn't let you save treads you want to read, but don't post in.

I know you can do topic notification, but that seems buggy, as well. Even though I've told it to not send me emails, it does, anyway... and usually for ones I didn't even mean, or remember, asking it to notify me on. Also, it's hard to get to, so not nearly as useful, although it may be more useful than I think; I haven't really messed with it too much.

Anyway, I tend to ramble, but the basic gist is that I'd like some way to mark a topic, and then have a nice, concise list of them in one easy-to-reach place, including if it's updated or not.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Celestial Goblin

King_Furby

Quote from: Jeramiahh on April 03, 2007, 02:17:17 AM
I know you can do topic notification, but that seems buggy, as well. Even though I've told it to not send me emails, it does, anyway... and usually for ones I didn't even mean, or remember, asking it to notify me on. Also, it's hard to get to, so not nearly as useful, although it may be more useful than I think; I haven't really messed with it too much.

Anyway, I tend to ramble, but the basic gist is that I'd like some way to mark a topic, and then have a nice, concise list of them in one easy-to-reach place, including if it's updated or not.

Notification always does what i want it to do. When you go into the notifications tab did you unclick both top boxes and try it that way, i assume you save the settings after you change them. On the notifications list it will say when there is a new reply, i dont see how its hard to get to. Maybe a tab could be added next to the My Messages tab, that would be really nice. Maybe even have a way to rank the topics in order of importance. Like on your screen you could do like a sticky and arrange what you want at the top of the list.  It would also be nice on the notifications to see who replied last without actually going into the thread.

But yea i agree an updated format would be great for it.

Elvi

I would like it to do the business accounts, remind me when it's time for my favourite TV program and make my coffee.......

Oh and tell me if this mole on my back is really getting bigger or are Beast girl and Strangely just trying to freek me out?
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Vekseid

Been meaning to mess with the notifications for awhile now, just have been having some problems with time recently.

But basically yeah, you'd turn on notification for a thread, turn e-mails for notifications off if you wanted - not for admin announcements, that's different, on a different page and we can bypass that anyway :-p

Elvi

But seriously though.....what about this mole?
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Jeramiahh

Maybe I'm crazy, or maybe it's just a bug in the system, but ever since I added my threads to the notification list, they're not showing up under the "Show new replies" link. At all. Very weird, and annoying as hell.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Jeramiahh

Well, I just want to say; Thank you very much for the improved interface in the "My Topics". Very much appreciated.

A few comments, though. First, it's arranged... oddly. It took me a while, but I finally figured that it's apparently arranged by the topic number, from highest to lowest. A way to pick the arrangement, or to move them after adding them, would help immensely. Second, after some very minor testing, it seems to be holding out well. It's accurately reported all threads being updated on time. One request would be to add the name of the last person to post in the thread, if possible. Finally, probably a very minor point, adding the ability to remove them/manage them from that page might help, but since you can do that in either the profile page or the thread itself, I don't see that as being that important.

Overall, for a "hack", it looks fairly well done. Thanks again!

Vekseid

I need to edit the join to add the 'last post' bit.  Removing notifications should be fairly simple.

Custom sorting, will have to see.