[V20] The Hunters Hunted [closed! see first post for details]

Started by Blythe, January 17, 2017, 01:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

(Jan. 22, 2017) Edit: I'm thinking that this one isn't going to quite catch on the way I was hoping, but that's okay! Perhaps I'll try a different system + different idea and make an interest check for something else later! Thanks to those that did show interest, and perhaps we'll see each other in something else around the boards! Going to close this one for now and lock it!

I've been thinking on this one for a while now. I don't have a specific setting in mind just yet--this is just a general thread to gauge interest. I'd like to run something using the 20th anniversary World of Darkness stuff, and in particular, I've been jonesing to run something using the Hunters Hunted II book. Ideally, I'd like to run a game revolving around the concept of a group of humans who have discovered the supernatural exists, and in particular (to their horror), the city they live in is in thrall to vampires. I know, I know, vague, right? It's meant to be, because I'd love input.

A few things to know before expressing interest:
- I'd only be taking up to 6 people maximum. (Want to keep the group small since I feel I'd manage that better) If I get more interest than 6 people, not sure yet how I'll narrow down who I'd pick, but most likely I am not going to think about that until the character sheet phase.
- This will be a system game. You'll need the V20 "Hunters Hunted II" book and the core V20 Masquerade book to play, at minimum.
- Characters are starting as humans, no exceptions.
- The time would be contemporary/modern, probably the year 2016.
- Character connections would be planned well before the game begins. I would like the characters to be a unified group.
- If you're not okay with crossgender writing (Ladies writing male characters, Lords writing female characters, Lieges writing whatever), this probably isn't the game for you.
- LGBTQA-friendly game
- Game would likely go in the Extreme board, but sexual content won't occur unless players request it. But as I myself like a lot of extreme kinks and the World of Darkness lends itself to horror, that's why I'd like to go Extreme. Players uncomfortable writing a sex scene but who want the added drama of a liaison could request a scene 'fade to black.'
- Posting rate would be about 1 to 2 times a week. I don't have expectations on how 'big' a post needs to be, though. Short posts are a-okay by me.
- Character death will be a genuine possibility (or even the Embrace!), but in the advent of character death, if a player still wished to keep playing, they'd be permitted to make a new character. :)

Okay, now for the fun part. If you're interested in playing, sound off on what city you think is the most interesting to game in! These are your options (though I'm open to suggestions--but the first two are probably the locales I'm more comfortable with):

- London (England)
- Seattle (USA)
- St. Petersburg (Russia)
- Rome (Italy)

If there's sufficient interest and a setting gets selected, I'll work up a more detailed game idea, but since I'm not sure this will garner interest, keeping it vague for now.

Rummy Tum Tum

Dammit, Bly. Of course I'm interested in this!

London would be my choice :-)

TheSithChicken

I would be interested in this. Monster hunting is something I haven't gotten to do in World of Darkness for a long time. As for location I'd like to avoid Russia just because the country as a whole is a sensitive topic at the moment for many. Seattle or London would work fine.

Lustful Bride

Im really into hunter the Vigil and MAge the Awakenign at the moment. And the chance to get my Vampire hunting on and look cool while doing it is so tempting.

Though no one can be as cool as Woods and his crew

If I wasn't swamped with so many RPs at the moment I would jump on this like no other :3

ShadowFox89

Damnit Blythe, you know I'm interested.

Honestly... I'd rather start outside of the US. As much fun as it is to be playing inside good ol' America, maybe something out of the norm would be a nice change of things.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Lustful Bride

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on January 17, 2017, 09:26:45 PM
Honestly... I'd rather start outside of the US. As much fun as it is to be playing inside good ol' America, maybe something out of the norm would be a nice change of things.

I likely wont be joining due to the amount of RPs that I have. but I feel that a good compromise would be that if the game lasts lost enough the Vamps are put into retreat or the gang hunts down another major Vamp roost. Getting in contact with other Hunters or just chasing them on their own. That way the players have to adapt and get used to different advantages/disadvantages of each part of the world.

USA=More firearms/ammunition.

England/Rome=More Vampire hunting allies with old style equipment. Or holy water.

Russia=Molotovs out the wazoo or tougher ally NPCs.

Blythe

It's looking like London might be a favorite for a starting location so far! I'm going to give this another day or so and see what people think then, and after that, I'll formally pick which city out the game would be set in and will have some other queries for interested people.  :-)

Golden Spider

I'm interested, don't  really know the system nor do i really do much in the realm of vampires but I'll give it a shot
Here are my O/Os: http://bit.ly/1HmHtRE 

I have taken the Oath of the Drake: http://tinyurl.com/ptea68l

Blythe

You'll need at least the two books mentioned in the OP to play. If you aren't familiar with the system, that could be a bit of a problem, mostly as I'm not sure I will have the extra time to teach the system. For this, players more familiar with the system are preferred.

TheSithChicken

As long as they have the books I can teach the system. I've only played and GMed it for 19 years now.

Golden Spider

Quote from: DarkPrince on January 18, 2017, 01:58:11 AM
As long as they have the books I can teach the system. I've only played and GMed it for 19 years now.

I don't have any books but i can probably find some online in PDFs or something

Blythe

They are legally available for purchase via drivethrurpg.com (which is my favorite place to purchase system pdfs).This is the Hunters Hunted II book, and this is the core rulebook.

TheSithChicken

You get the books and I can be your system buddy. I am not sure I even need the books to run this system anymore.

Golden Spider

Hob

Tentative interest. I LOVE playing just plain old humans against powerful supernatural forces. But I'm also waiting on Changeling (C20) to come out this spring, and I was thinking of doing something with that.

Blythe

Quote from: Justric on January 18, 2017, 02:04:46 PM
Tentative interest. I LOVE playing just plain old humans against powerful supernatural forces. But I'm also waiting on Changeling (C20) to come out this spring, and I was thinking of doing something with that.

Man, I wish I'd gotten in on that Kickstarter in time. Changeling was one of the most vibrant old World of Darkness lines!

All righty, folks, London it is. :)

Before I can put up more details, one more thing: the theme.

While all characters will get pre-established ties, I think any 'hunter' type chronicle needs a good theme as well to ensure it's got the vibe everyone wants. The initial story will start 'small' and grow into something more, so the starting theme will really set the stage for what kind of game this would be!

Three of the themes from the book interest me a lot, but I'm open to suggestions from you folks as well!:

- Science vs. the Occult: Perhaps a group of researchers for a powerful corporation stumbles upon evidence of vampires, or perhaps university students researching scientific reasons for the occult get more than they bargained for, just as some examples of how this one plays. The overarching idea would be the reasonable logical world your human characters know where science is everything...versus a new world where that does not apply, where mysticism, religion, and symbolism play deeper parts than could ever be imagined.

- Protecting the Hood: All the characters live in the same neighborhood or even the same apartment complex, something along those lines. It's discovered that bad things, horrible things, are happening in this place--bodies are turning up, and this was once a quiet and nice place! Will your characters take a stand and protect not only themselves, but the people around them? Can they save their homes from vampiric influence?\

- Black Ops...Best of the Best!: Every single PC would be some manner of military-affiliated character, gathered by their higher-ups to deal with occult threats. MI6? Pfft. They'll have nothing on you guys!

Hob

Quote from: Blythe on January 19, 2017, 02:48:22 PM
Man, I wish I'd gotten in on that Kickstarter in time. Changeling was one of the most vibrant old World of Darkness lines!

All righty, folks, London it is. :)

Before I can put up more details, one more thing: the theme.

While all characters will get pre-established ties, I think any 'hunter' type chronicle needs a good theme as well to ensure it's got the vibe everyone wants. The initial story will start 'small' and grow into something more, so the starting theme will really set the stage for what kind of game this would be!

Three of the themes from the book interest me a lot, but I'm open to suggestions from you folks as well!:

- Science vs. the Occult: Perhaps a group of researchers for a powerful corporation stumbles upon evidence of vampires, or perhaps university students researching scientific reasons for the occult get more than they bargained for, just as some examples of how this one plays. The overarching idea would be the reasonable logical world your human characters know where science is everything...versus a new world where that does not apply, where mysticism, religion, and symbolism play deeper parts than could ever be imagined.

- Protecting the Hood: All the characters live in the same neighborhood or even the same apartment complex, something along those lines. It's discovered that bad things, horrible things, are happening in this place--bodies are turning up, and this was once a quiet and nice place! Will your characters take a stand and protect not only themselves, but the people around them? Can they save their homes from vampiric influence?\

- Black Ops...Best of the Best!: Every single PC would be some manner of military-affiliated character, gathered by their higher-ups to deal with occult threats. MI6? Pfft. They'll have nothing on you guys!

You can pre-order it off of the Kickstarter site even if you didn't contribute.  Myself, I have every Chanegling the Dreaming book except for the "Word of Darkness: France" and the one German supplement, "Trolle, Träumer, tiefe Wälder." Oh, and I never got the C:tD dice set or cards; rather bummed about that.

Science vs. the Occult!! I have this great idea for a professor of antiquities or mythology or something along those lines, one who never has anyone seriously interested in his work. Suddenly? All of these hard-core science students and profs are beating down his door...

TheSithChicken

Theme... I'll be honest. None of those themes appeal to me especially. I have a special dislike for science vs the occult in anything but even if I don't end up playing I will still help out with the system if anyone needs the help.