Xavier's Institute For Higher Learning ~ CLOSED!

Started by persephone325, August 01, 2016, 11:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lockepick

At the risk of getting pulled back into that conversation, my previous rant had included how suppressing powers is also not a super fun power to have within a group game -- for much of the same reasons as being able to copy powers. We're all in an X-Men game to use our powers -- having another PC take them away isn't the most fitting for a group game. Yes it would be awesome to aim it towards the bad guys -- but she'll be around other PCs probably 90% of the time -- so you can't ignore how the power will most likely be used.

Though again, I'm not involved in the approval process -- so grain of salt, etc.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

DinaFlower

Quote from: Lockepick on August 09, 2016, 01:46:09 PM
At the risk of getting pulled back into that conversation, my previous rant had included how suppressing powers is also not a super fun power to have within a group game -- for much of the same reasons as being able to copy powers. We're all in an X-Men game to use our powers -- having another PC take them away isn't the most fitting for a group game. Yes it would be awesome to aim it towards the bad guys -- but she'll be around other PCs probably 90% of the time -- so you can't ignore how the power will most likely be used.

Though again, I'm not involved in the approval process -- so grain of salt, etc.

I agree with that completely! We had talked about it. And we thought that, if used in the right way, it could be fun. And by that I mean if the other player agree's with it. I am not like most people at all. But I think it would be fun for RP to not have my power for a time. It would open up the option to RP being mad about it, or to RP how hard everything is without it. But also it could be used for someone who is super strong to spar with someone who is a combat expert but would be killed by one hit from the super strong person. That way the combat export could help the strong person learn combat without getting killed. I understand that it has the abaility to misused. But I know she would not do that

noodlebloom

Quote from: Orange Marmalade on August 09, 2016, 10:48:25 AM
I would shy away from Powers are that totally sex related, imo.
Quote from: Black Howling on August 09, 2016, 11:11:02 AM
: Daken possesses another unique ability, the full nature of which is unknown. Daken has demonstrated the ability to manipulate his pheromones for the purpose of suppressing his own scent to such a degree that even Wolverine's senses are unable to detect him. He can also use his pheromones to manipulate the emotional state and sensory perceptions of other beings. He has been known to use this power to instill intense fear, happiness, depression, sexual arousal, and a false sense of security to other beings. This allows him to seemingly appear where enemies can't see him, enabling him to inflect damage before an opponent realizes it. Such tactics give opponents the belief that he can either teleport or move at superhuman speeds, though he stated during his fight with Deadpool that he doesn't possess either of those powers. His pheromone powers appear to be physical in nature, not psionic. He also uses this ability against Spider-Man when Spider-Man attempts to infiltrate the Dark Avengers, he tells Spider-Man his abilities allow him to distort enemies, hinder their depth perception and visual acuity, causing the hero to fight sluggishly. Daken used this power unconsciously during his youth and formative years, which was a primary reason his adoptive mother didn't love him, though the mysterious Romulus has taught him to consciously use and control it. This power was used during his romance with Karla Sofen and to confuse his male teammates by instilling romantic feelings in them. He also appears to have great knowledge as to the capabilities of pheromones in general as well as their taste and smell. In conjunction with his enhanced senses and knowledge of pheromones, he can expertly judge the emotional/physical state of those around him, both animal and human

That's the description of Daken's that was mentioned, taken from the wiki.. You'll notice the sexual manifestations are not the only useful applications of this ability, and I'd suggest maybe making this character have more due to Persephone's words here.

She's gone through a lot of lengths to keep the game from being derailed into just smut, and a character who's powers are sexually focused isn't really sticking to this. Pheromones have a lot of other applications, maybe look into focusing on some of those as well? That said, Daken has bone claws and other animal like powers, so I think it would probably work best on a Feral. Similar to Jessica Drew's spider powers, the pheromones were just another part of them.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to knock the idea, just offering my two cents on the subject.

Yeah, I was worried about the pheromone thing being too easy to use to facilitate sex. I was more leaning towards a matchmaker sort of deal (with permission from anyone involved, of course), but I can see how it'd be a problem. I'm not really interested in this character being useful for combat at all, since in my head he's this timid guy that really just wants to do his job and go home and feed his cat. I'll keep rolling it around in the ol' noggin and see what turns up. I can see taking a version of the pheromone powers and applying it to a completely different sort of character, so who knows? *shrug* I appreciate the input, though!

Quote from: Cuchulainn on August 09, 2016, 12:20:11 PM
Edit: Just noticed Ace Flyer mentioned Laurie "Wallflower" Collins, so yea shout out to him

I would agree a little with BlackHowling, although I would also want to point out one of my favourite x-men characters.
Laurie Collins, her powers was just pheromones, whats more because of her inability to control her powers she would tend to make people feel whatever emotion she was feeling. Having him start with a weakness like this I feel would allow you to get the results you want alongside other hilarious situations, for example:

Whenever he feels a strong sexual desire for someone he might flood the room with sexual desire but on the flip-side, if he was say in the danger room during a lesson taken by wolverine. It would be hilarious if he flooded the room with fear pheromones to the point where wolverine screamed like a little girl.

Also despite the fact she might look like a lightweight, read the new mutant story-line during house of M
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Girl was crazy, made Kid Omega so depressed he killed himself, then made the hellions, new mutants and I guess purifiers(?) take one another out.

Hell, if I remember I saw some gender swapped characters and I think her shy demeanour would work perfectly for your nerdy teen.

Actually, he was gonna be a late bloomer in his early twenties and work as an accountant, haha! I've been shying away from tweaking canon characters because I don't read all that much X-Men (But I read everything Deadpool's in, so I've got some knowledge). I'd hate to not do them justice.

Ace Flyer

Before I forget...character sheet submitted, but:

Ben Barnes plays PC Remy LeBeau / Gambit

Wispyr

Oh I guess I should do that too...

Alina Kovalenko plays PC Rae Bellemoore

DinaFlower

persephone325

Quote from: Ace Flyer on August 10, 2016, 06:57:01 AM
Before I forget...character sheet submitted, but:

Ben Barnes plays PC Remy LeBeau / Gambit

Quote from: Wispyr on August 10, 2016, 10:35:40 AM
Oh I guess I should do that too...

Alina Kovalenko plays PC Rae Bellemoore

Quote from: DinaFlower on August 10, 2016, 11:06:58 AM
Ashley Benson plays PC Allison O'Donnell

Thank you guys. :-)
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Ace Flyer

Heya all!

So, with Gambit approved, I wanted to focus on my second character, and I finally narrowed down to a few options...What do people this of:

Heather Camerson/Lifeguard - Played as a mutant who recently discovered her powers. Can't quite control them yet, but the idea of someone that gains an ability that can only be used when in danger sounds fun...Maybe find something to lock her into that attractive gold form too?

Sooraya Qadir/Dust - Another to be played as a relatively new mutant...Her power of being able to turn into dust/sand sounds like it could be amusing, without risking being over-powered or such like some of the others I'll be mentioning.

Rahne Sinclair/Wolfsbane - Scottish female werewolf? 'Nuff said! Oh...also really religious? Could be fun to set up a conflict of faith when she starts realizing she likes women...

Xi'an Coy Manh - The only openly lesbian X-Man character I could find (that isn't Mystique, who doesn't count). Not too sure about her mind control powers, though...I wouldn't be using those much at all, I don't think, unless to really mess with Remy or another player really wanted to try something.

Thoughts? Just asking here, because...I'm badly indecisive >>;

Aida Rose

Bling! is also a lesbian. And since I'm very canon ignorant and know this, I'm sure there're more hiding in the wood work. Or I hope so. Annd, keeping in mind that ignorance, I don't know these ladies, except for Dust. I like her, kinda.

Ace Flyer

Quote from: Aida Rose on August 11, 2016, 07:10:34 AM
Bling! is also a lesbian. And since I'm very canon ignorant and know this, I'm sure there're more hiding in the wood work. Or I hope so. Annd, keeping in mind that ignorance, I don't know these ladies, except for Dust. I like her, kinda.

Oh, cool! I'll admit, I didn't spend too much time looking for specifically lesbian characters. I was mainly looking for lesser known ones that could be fun ^^ Bling! seems interesting though...

And yes, Dust is very interesting as well. And playing a character like her would be quite a new thing for me, which is appealing in and of itself...And I suppose I do have two character slots I could fill... *may or may not be picturing Remy trying so hard to do things with two ladies who just utterly shut him down*

Orange Marmalade

Those are all awesome characters, imo! Keep in mind you don't have to limit yourself though - sexuality is totally one of those things you can change here.

Ace Flyer

Quote from: Orange Marmalade on August 11, 2016, 12:43:02 PM
Those are all awesome characters, imo! Keep in mind you don't have to limit yourself though - sexuality is totally one of those things you can change here.

Nah, I know. But if there's one I don't have to change, well...All the better, right? ;)

That said, thanks to some discussion with the awesome RampantDesires, reserving another character:

Rahne Sinclair / Wolfsbane reserved for Ace Flyer

Looking for a good face claim, so if anyone has suggestions for a red haired, green eyed, 18-20 year old, let me know! (at work, can't browse models all that easily :P )

Now, just debating who my third will be...Torn between those remaining three options. Leaning towards Lifeguard and Karma...maybe...*sigh* Choices, choices...

Orange Marmalade

Awesome choice, Wolfsbane is great!  The other choices are cool, but so is Dust - I don't think we have many religious types.

Black Howling

Quote from: Ace Flyer on August 11, 2016, 12:55:46 PM
Nah, I know. But if there's one I don't have to change, well...All the better, right? ;)

That said, thanks to some discussion with the awesome RampantDesires, reserving another character:

Rahne Sinclair / Wolfsbane reserved for Ace Flyer

Looking for a good face claim, so if anyone has suggestions for a red haired, green eyed, 18-20 year old, let me know! (at work, can't browse models all that easily :P )

Now, just debating who my third will be...Torn between those remaining three options. Leaning towards Lifeguard and Karma...maybe...*sigh* Choices, choices...

One of my favorite mutants!

Which totally wasn't obvious to anyone. >_>

Bibliophilia

Redheaded, green-eyed werewolf just makes me think of Ginger Snaps!

Ace Flyer

Quote from: Orange Marmalade on August 11, 2016, 12:57:04 PM
Awesome choice, Wolfsbane is great!  The other choices are cool, but so is Dust - I don't think we have many religious types.

This is true. Wolfsbane would be a heavily Christian character (Presbyterian, I believe). And Dust is a devout Sunni Muslim...I'm awfully tempted to play Dust for that, but I worry I couldn't give the character justice. I just don't have the cultural exposure to feel as though I could portray her, or smalls things about a Muslim lifestyle I'd likely overlook :(

Quote from: Bibliophilia on August 11, 2016, 01:01:38 PM
Redheaded, green-eyed werewolf just makes me think of Ginger Snaps!

Ginger Snaps?  ???

Lockepick

I love Ginger Snaps. XD

It's a campy movie (I think triology at this point) about two teenage girls being werewolves. It's got a lot of metaphors for like... menstruation and budding female sexuality and stuff -- but it's not even remotely subtle. It's so on the nose that it's hilarious to me.

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Ace Flyer

Juggtacular

Bibliophilia

Yeah, it's a trilogy.  It's so 90's, too.  -giggles.-  Locke perfectly described it.  It's hilarious in a wonderful, tongue-in-cheek way.  Like, it knows what it's doing and doesn't give a fuck.

Ace Flyer

Quote from: Juggtacular on August 11, 2016, 01:16:52 PM

Rose LeslieWolfsbane

Hmm...She might work. I just found there is an apparent oddity with Wolfsbane, where she can't grow her hair past a few inches though. If I can't find any models I like with short hair though, think I'll definitely use her!

Lockepick

I couldn't remember if the one that takes place in the Wild West was the third or fourth -- not sure if most people count that one or not. XD

Intimate Ink

Quote from: Ace Flyer on August 11, 2016, 12:55:46 PM

You might want to nudge our Alchemist-player, Wispyr.  Red heads are.. uh.. kind of an... uh... expertise of his.

Black Howling

Quote from: Ace Flyer on August 11, 2016, 01:25:51 PM
Hmm...She might work. I just found there is an apparent oddity with Wolfsbane, where she can't grow her hair past a few inches though. If I can't find any models I like with short hair though, think I'll definitely use her!
Quote from: Intimate Ink on August 11, 2016, 01:47:05 PM
You might want to nudge our Alchemist-player, Wispyr.  Red heads are.. uh.. kind of an... uh... expertise of his.

Not to downgrade Wipsyr, but another option is always to check out Christa's Redhead thread. Her obsession is legend throughout the forum and has helped me with some character models before.

Ace Flyer

I wouldn't want to bother Wispyr if they're busy, so...could you give me a link to the thread? I can't say I've ever heard of it >>;