[Enigma Complex] Modern Mages - Based on Mage: the Ascension

Started by Wispyr, June 02, 2017, 01:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xurtan

I'm all for it, but could you give us examples of Resonance at various levels and perhaps an idea of the power level behind each? Same with say, for each Circle, to give us a better idea of what would be appropriate?

Wispyr

I'm putting up some very vague concepts of how things work here - but I want to stress that both the characters don't have information like this, and the general application of these things is flexible. Since a character can tap into any level of magic at any point, and depending on circumstance something might actually be lesser - or higher - than it would be normally.

Circle Magic
1. Novice - Mastery over the most basic concepts.
2. Apprentice - Mastery over simple effects.
3. Adept - Mastery over intermediate effects.
4. Expert - Mastery over advanced effects.
5. Master - Near flawless mastery over the specialty.
6. Grand Master - Near flawless mastery over extraordinary effects
7. Deific - Flawless and limitless manipulation of the specialty.

Some examples...
Warding (1) - Seal Portal: An arcane lock effect that can keep something meant to be closed, closed. Even if the object has a lock that can be picked, the opening won't open while the magic is in effect.
Antimagic (2) - Counter Coincidence: Manipulate the natural ripples of reality to cause a coincidental effect to fail - or require the caster to increase will to the spell, causing it to become vulgar.
Shadow & Light (3) - Globe of Invisibility: Create a motionless area, inside of which people and objects can not be seen. You can control what things vanish inside the radius.
Transmutation (4) - Alter Properties: Give a chrunk of steel the hardness of tungsten, but retain all other steel properties.
Shaping (5) - Settlement: Take the raw natural materials in a large area and convert them to a functional, complete, and integrated building.
Chronomancy (6) - Temporal Clones: Yank versions of yourself out of the time stream and deposit them in the present.
Healing (7) - Mass Ressurection: Restore life to the populace of an entire city.

Elementalism (1) - Match: Produce a match sized flame, ignite highly flamable materials at a distance.
Elementalism (2) - Stone Armor: Create a suit of armor that is made of earth, that flexes as you do to allow for movement.
Elementalism (3) - Part Water: Part a body of water to allow passage.
Elementalism (4) - Lightning Bolt: Conjure a bolt of pure electrical energy and hurl it at your will.
Elementalism (5) - Dragon's Breath: Unleash a torrent of devastating flames capable of melting through steel, igniting anything in its path.
Elementalism (6) - Hurricane: Summon a powerful hurricane into the area.
Elementalism (7) - Tectonic Sculpting: Reshape the land masses of the entire world, create mountain ranges and raise islands.

As for Resonance, it'd look a bit more like:

1 - Minor
2 - Mild
3 - Light
4 - Moderate
5 - Strong
6 - Intense
7 - Major
8 - Severe
9 - Extreme
10 - Overwhelming

A "Minor" Shadowy resonance might cause the shadows of the mage himself extend slightly - barely noticeable - when he casts.
A "Strong" Shadowy resonance might cause the shadows in the room to extend, the area to grow darker, details to become obscured when he casts.
An "Overwhelming" Shadowy resonance might cause the shadows in a large area to envelop all light, causing an area of absolute darkness even while under direct light when he casts.

Edit: As I said in the first sentence, I want to stress, again, that I stayed away from identifying specific levels of what could happen when for very good reason. Things will be evaluated in game. Once you've accessed a certain type of magic, you can simply use it... At which point what is happening will determine everything. The above is only there to give the most general idea - not serve as some sort of bible of what can and can not be.

Xurtan

Fantastic, thank you. A vague idea was what I wanted. :) One final question, then, as it's not something I saw at a glance. Do Resonance and Arete raise/lower in-game through our actions or milestones or anything? Or is it more set in stone once the character is made/accepted?

Intimate Ink

Hi Wispyr,

Two quick questions:

1)  Do you want the image to match your img height attribute (300) or the in-text specification you have in your template (150x200)?

2) Is this going to be our final character sheet, or will we be taking time to write out something larger if accepted?  Not sure if this is my time to develop a full history, or if I should focus on a more broad outline with the intention of filling it out at a later date once the crew is determined?

Wispyr

Quote from: Intimate Ink on June 04, 2017, 07:53:45 AM
Hi Wispyr,

Two quick questions:

1)  Do you want the image to match your img height attribute (300) or the in-text specification you have in your template (150x200)?

2) Is this going to be our final character sheet, or will we be taking time to write out something larger if accepted?  Not sure if this is my time to develop a full history, or if I should focus on a more broad outline with the intention of filling it out at a later date once the crew is determined?
Image size doesn't actually matter. I just picked one that was fairly standard.

As for character sheets, you'll actually be making one. The application is just the general concept and some basic details for me to start talking with you about.

Side note: Calling more people. There are others out there interested in stuff I am certain. Come play!

Theo

Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure.

On and off

Wispyr

That would be excellent!

Right now we're sitting on... 2 concepts that have been nailed down and floated my way. I know we've got like 3-4 more in the works. And room for more than that. So if you've got some interest, or questions, please, shoot me a PM or post here!

Wispyr

Answered another important question about Coincidental Magic vrs Vulgar Magic.

The implementation of a spell dictates which category it falls into - and that's pretty much always dictated by circumstance at the time of casting. That is to say, there is almost no spell that is always coincidental or always vulgar. Circumstance at the time of casting is absolutely important.

Relikai

AribethAmkiir

So, Post-Awakening - what would be too much to have done/accomplished in the ~2 weeks? 

I guess I should probably "Keep it simple, stupid", but I seldom ever do that.   ;D

Amarlo

I'll try to get a concept out at some point in the new couple of days. I'm really looking forward to this. Hopefully more people show interest.  ;D

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Wispyr

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on June 05, 2017, 05:07:13 AM
So, Post-Awakening - what would be too much to have done/accomplished in the ~2 weeks? 

I guess I should probably "Keep it simple, stupid", but I seldom ever do that.   ;D
Simple is good. This is sort of just a "how have they been handling their magic? Have they done anything accidentally or otherwise? What have they been dealing with since it happened?" Stuff like that.

Will be doing that thing where I review concepts tomorrow. D&D today and I was busssssy. xD

Intimate Ink

Quote from: Wispyr on June 06, 2017, 12:31:52 AM
Simple is good. This is sort of just a "how have they been handling their magic? Have they done anything accidentally or otherwise? What have they been dealing with since it happened?" Stuff like that.

Will be doing that thing where I review concepts tomorrow. D&D today and I was busssssy. xD

You killed everyone's mount again, didn't you?  Bastard.

eternaldarkness

Ascension is my actual favorite game ever, and i'm interested, but full disclosure - i'm gun shy with elliquiy games of late because they tend to have people with more triggers than a gun show, and 'no drama' being listed twice over doesn't make me feel better about that as it usually means 'don't hurt anyone's feelings'. I'll definitely watch it though, and maybe if i'm feeling brave even try applying.

AribethAmkiir

Amarlo

While no one can promise that no one will ever get butthurt, as a long time cult-follower of Wispyr Games Inc. , they're usually pretty low drama. You'll have the occasional flare up, which is typically in any situation where you're dealing with multiple people interacting at a time, but Wispyr tends to deal with it pretty quickly.

Personally, I LOVE ic drama. Apparently some people don't? But I thrive off that stuff like water! Lmfao. 

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Yurie

Considering that Mage is one of my favorite games in the WoD series, I'll have to throw my hat into the ring, so to speak. Consider me interested.

Wispyr

Quote from: eternaldarkness on June 06, 2017, 05:26:01 AM
Ascension is my actual favorite game ever, and i'm interested, but full disclosure - i'm gun shy with elliquiy games of late because they tend to have people with more triggers than a gun show, and 'no drama' being listed twice over doesn't make me feel better about that as it usually means 'don't hurt anyone's feelings'. I'll definitely watch it though, and maybe if i'm feeling brave even try applying.
As the ladies mentioned, this is in reference to OOC things. IC drama is fine - even encouraged - but it's when that bleeds into the OOC that we start to have problems. People are allowed to have debates, and disagree, that isn't drama. Drama is keeping it up after I've stepped in and said we're moving on. Drama is holding the game hostage because you don't want to <the thing>. As per E rules, I expect that everyone remain respectful, but I wouldn't try to enforce it any more than E does naturally.

tl;dr don't be an asshat, and you're fine. As the followers can attest, there have never been more than two or three issues, and they were also resolved pretty quickly.

Quote from: Yurie on June 06, 2017, 11:19:40 AM
Considering that Mage is one of my favorite games in the WoD series, I'll have to throw my hat into the ring, so to speak. Consider me interested.
Awesome! Looking forward to seeing your idea!

Amarlo

Information Request: How long would the characters be in one spot at this point? Like. Would they have been able to meet before the start of the game? A few days? A week? You know, to get to know one another or are they just being tossed at each other for the first time straight off?

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Codexa

Wispyr

Quote from: Codexa on June 06, 2017, 12:28:34 PM
*peeks in*
-Pockets-

Quote from: Amarlo on June 06, 2017, 12:27:39 PM
Information Request: How long would the characters be in one spot at this point? Like. Would they have been able to meet before the start of the game? A few days? A week? You know, to get to know one another or are they just being tossed at each other for the first time straight off?
Our opening will be the characters meeting as a group for the first time. That's not to say that they haven't potentially known one another from before - just that this is the first time they're meeting as mages, and as a group.

Amarlo

Quote from: Codexa on June 06, 2017, 12:28:34 PM
*peeks in*
-Steals out of Wispyr's pocket and flees with.-

Quote from: Wispyr on June 06, 2017, 12:30:30 PM
Our opening will be the characters meeting as a group for the first time. That's not to say that they haven't potentially known one another from before - just that this is the first time they're meeting as mages, and as a group.
Hm... Mmk. Thanks!

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Intimate Ink

Information Request:

Does the "Ol' World of Darkness" refer to Amarlo's character's nether-regions?

Wispyr

Character Sheets are going to start going up soon. Malcolm's, for obvious reasons, has information that's not readily available... But will be added as we go on.

I'll be including my character soonish.. and then as I approve people.

Amarlo

Quote from: Intimate Ink on June 06, 2017, 02:00:11 PM
Information Request:

Does the "Ol' World of Darkness" refer to Amarlo's character's nether-regions?
So obsessed with me <3

And no, my nether regions are more so likened to Wraith: The Oblivion  ::)

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies