The Office of Supernatural Services - [Steampunk, Horror]

Started by MissFire, October 25, 2014, 09:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MissFire

London. A place of gentlemen and ladies, of steam-powered machines, whirring gizmos and flying machines. Yet it is also a place where the dark is to be feared, where creatures once unknown and unkowable now stalk the streets. Man has used his intelligence to create things ahead of his time, and the universe has responded by unleashing the horrors that lurk within the deepest darkness.

This is where you come in.

We are The Office of Supernatural Services - The OSS - and we will throw light upon the shadows that haunt this fair city. We will banish the evil that takes people from our streets, that drives men to madness, that throw a wrench into the works of man's grand design. We are a secret organization with the ultimate authority to do whatever it takes to keep London safe from things that go bump in the night. We report to Her Majesty the Queen and to Her only. We make our home in the skies, aboard the airship Icarus, where we watch the streets below with eyes unblinking. When darkness looks upon humanity we are the only ones bold enough to look back.

We're recruiting and we want you.

The OSS is a game set in a steampunk version of London where the players will be playing a set of new recruits to a top secret organization that protects the kingdom from monsters of all types; zombies, ghouls, werewolves, vampires, and more. This will be a game based around action, investigation, and character relationships. Each chapter of the game will be a different mission, and not I will be writing every mission. That's right; I want the players to write for the game too! Every mission we finish, we'll move on to another player who can write the adventure! This way, everyone gets involved and the story chunks are fairly short and compact, giving players a chance to rotate in and out of the game if they so choose. Well, that's my pitch! I hope to see some interest here!
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi

Red Offerings

I'll bite. Question though: when you say you want the players to have turns writing up missions - how in depth are we expected to go? And, in essence then are the players the GM for that mission?
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

MissFire

As in-depth as you'd like, permitted that one doesn't simply post one line narration, contradict previous information or something of that nature. If you don't want to take a turn writing, you don't have to. I'm not going to force everyone to craft a story. And lastly, yes, you'd basically be the GM for the mission.
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi

Red Offerings

Quote from: MissFire on October 25, 2014, 10:00:51 AM
As in-depth as you'd like, permitted that one doesn't simply post one line narration, contradict previous information or something of that nature. If you don't want to take a turn writing, you don't have to. I'm not going to force everyone to craft a story. And lastly, yes, you'd basically be the GM for the mission.

Sounds good!
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Cuchulainn

Apple of Eris

I think I'd be interested in this, it seems different :)
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Sephora

I'm interested.  This sounds like fun!!
What kind of qualifications are you looking for in players?

MissFire

Name: Detective Stella Arabella Helling
Sex: Female
Role: Offense

Skills: Stella is an extremely talented sharpshooter and gunsmith. She has impeccable aim, a fast draw, and a keen eye. Her physical conditioning is top notch; she is in excellent shape, making for a fine agent that can stay in the field for quite a while without rest. While not as smart as, say, one of the support agents, she is rather intelligent and has an excellent mind for tactics. Her knowledge of firearms is also extensive, as one would expect. As a final note, she has some experience with medicine and while she is no doctor, she knows enough to dress a wound in the field.

Bio: Stella Arabella Helling is the daughter of Abraham Helling, co-founder of Helling & Winford Arms. H&W is one of the most prolific arms manufacturers in the world, most noteworthy for their excellent revolvers, the H&W Condor the sidearm of choice for the Metropolitan Police for ages. Growing up in the Helling family has gifted Stella with an almost encyclopedic knowedge of firearms and in that environment she was destined to become involved with weapons in some way. She never proved to have much business acumen, but did become quite the marksman. Enough to join the police force and rise to the rank of detective. Stella made herself moderately famous when, while investigating a serial murder, managed to track down the vampire that had been responsible. Not knowing the supernatural nature behind her opponent, she was rather startled when the silver-tipped bullets she routinely used managed to make the fleeing undead killer burst into flames and turn to ash. Her department never believed her story, of course. The OSS did, though, and quickly recruited her to join the service.
    - Sima Yi

MissFire

- Sima Yi

Red Offerings

New question! What roles are available? I saw new recruits but at you looking for all would-be detectives or other roles too that kind of fall under the same umbrella?

MissFire

I think you're confused. Stella is a former police detective, that's why her name is listed as 'Detective'. Your character does not have to be a detective.
    - Sima Yi

Red Offerings

Quote from: MissFire on October 26, 2014, 05:00:29 PM
I think you're confused. Stella is a former police detective, that's why her name is listed as 'Detective'. Your character does not have to be a detective.

Ah. I guess I should have said field agent. Thanks.