PnP roleplaying on the internet?

Started by Ptolemy, July 10, 2010, 08:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ptolemy

I have a lot of PnP rulebooks, but nobody in a hundred mile radius around me roleplays, so I have to turn to the Internet. I find Forum system roleplaying a bit too slow paced for my tastes, though.

What clients would you recommend if I want to play, for example, D&D in-real time through the internet? I've heard of openRPG, is that any good? Are there any communities for such playing?

HairyHeretic

IRC.
Any of the chat programs (MSN, Yahoo, etc)
Googe wave maybe?
Voice chat programs .. teamspeak, ventrillo, skype.

I've heard of openRPG, but never used it, so can't comment.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

GeekFury

As Hairy said, Skype, I've seen Spoony live stream some of his games with his friends and I'm 99% sure they used Skype to do it.

Ptolemy

Hmm.. Google Wave would be great, I think, but..

Is there any forum or community where such games or organized? Not talking specifically about games with Google Wave, but just internet real-time PnP games.

GeekFury

There maybe, I'm not sure, perhaps a search on google might through up some sort of forum or such, always worth a look. There will probably be someway to find out though.

Blitzy

Check out a couple sites:

RPG.net

RPGSoapbox.com

Maybe that'll help ya.

One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Brandon

Any kind of chat based or IM based system can work well for playing online. The one Ive used probably the most over the years is YIM but you have to have some way to bring the group together and make sure they can be there at the right times

If your looking specifically for new world of darkness games, click the link to Nightfall salem in my signature. Its a great community that does most of its roleplaying via chats

Also for any game made by white wolf (scion, NWoD, Exalted, etc) they do have an area set up wich lists various roleplaying sites and explains what kind of bases are used (chat, forums, IMs, something else). If you play pathfinder theres also a place on Paizo's website where you can put together group games in person or online.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

MasterMischief

I have run games on IRC a few times.  I even think there is one or two servers specifically for role playing.  Pick up games are rather hit and lot of misses.