PF-erized Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Started by LisztesFerenc, January 15, 2016, 02:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

Aha, it was probably the game where I was running things on melee magether as co-GM style somepoint (while my own char was female studying at academy). Anyways the 60'ft movement and throwing you were part of setting sun style martial maneuver which allows throw you (and not sure now was it because maneuver could be used as part of charge action or mentor had 60'ft movement speed or he was able to take two move actions and single standard action somehow). Anyways the reason for throw was not because your being wrong; your answer was both correct and wrong. Correct in facts but wrong with attitude. The teacher (which is canon one from Drizzt books) taught history but not because of facts or educate warriors about history; he used history lessons as means to brainwash drow youths to hate surface dwellers above all else and other 'good' mental traits for drow warrior in personality wise. As sort psychological condittioning. I do not remember full details but it was something in IC attitude or manner how your char answer was given which provoked teacher to throw you (he did use in books physical discipline on students which either answered wrong or answered 'wrong manner').

So intent was not anyway personal but more as part of the characther which I tried portray and about what he was truly doing in the melee-magether history classes which are nothing less than spoonfed propaganda.

Blinkin

I never implied that it wasn't IC, lol I didn't take it personally and still don't. It's all good.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Zaer Darkwail

Glad to hear :). I may had needed use a another method how to get teacher 'physically discipline' your char instead going to whacky tome of battle maneuvers approach. Anyways going bed now, tomorrow live Warhammer Fantasy RPG session so not around tomorrow as we going run around +11 hour session (and it starts with our dwarf slayer bound and tortured by witch hunter and in line waits a bard who is bad in lying or speaking truth, a heavily mutated human witch who has so far disguised with metal plates/mask like Dr Doom and a psychotic wood elf for thirst of killing and murder, in a village where witch hunter has declared everyone being under suspicion of witchcraft).

Sinestra

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on June 17, 2016, 08:30:32 AM
Well, I am still willing to work backgrounds/chars together with you :). I can finish number parts of my wizard (and if we decide go with different sort setup I can quickly work different class/race if needed).

Well, I guess we should probably chat a bit about that then. Send me a PM with some chat-client details and I'll poke you about more in depth stuff.

That being said, wow you guys post a ton here. I can only check here a few times a day, yikes. I might be out of my league for posting speed.
"I don't mind that most fictional women look like they have F cups at minimum. I do, however, mind that their brains aren't nearly as... 'developed'."

LisztesFerenc

Don't worry Sinestra, I'm sure the actual game will progress at a such a rate, if nothing else I wouldn't be able to keep up with that.

Okay, so for the 3 characters we have so far:

Baltharius has a pretty solid motivation, he wants to find his family, and no doubt like all wizards he wants to gain more arcane knowledge, spells or otherwise. Any further motivation/specific goals?

Yvaine doesn't have any concrete goals, but seems to have pledged her life firmly to helping the weak and innocent, to the point of incorporating it into her character’s mechanics that she had to. Anything specific beyond that, or does she just go looking for people to help, evil to stand against?

Michael seems to have the least motivation. He obviously has good intentions wanting to help people as a hero does, and wants to learn how to better use a blade presumable, but not quite to the extent of Tvaine and he lacks the finding lost family Bal has. Not that this is a problem at all, a wish to do good will see you through this story fine motivation-wise, I’m just wondering if he has any specific goals?

Plus, some of you may also know Lydia too.

Revelation

Generally I sort of prefer working on bigger motivations once actually in the game, as I find that fits a tad more organically. However, I am more than happy to put him back to the drawing board so to speak and work out a more in depth motivation for him.

Fey

Yvaine's goals are driven by her slightly different take on Shelyn's faith. Most clerics of Shelyn strive to create and glorify beauty through art, music, and performance. Yvaine tries to restore beauty that has already been lost. The wartorn country whose borders overflow with refugees, the cynical and jaded mercenary who no longer believes in true love, a lost book that tells the last stand of a great hero.

She is drawn to try and repair homes and hearts, restore things of ancient wonder, and help give people a second chance that they might flourish. For this reason she explores dark dungeons and fights back the forces of corruption that have overtaken civilization. On a less martial side she also tries to redeem the lost or help people overcome past hurts so that they can live to their full potential again. I know Lydia felt empty for a while after succeeding in her revenge. What would be really cool (if Blinkin's agreeable) is if Yvaine met her sometime during this period and stayed for a while, trying to help her see new purpose in life, whether she was ultimately successful or not.

Things like helping the weak and innocent are extensions of this, although of course as good-aligned softie she feels a duty to help anyway.

It's possible that Yvaine  was saved for this particular purpose. Perhaps the reason fate watches strongly over her because she's destined to join in some great effort to restore... well, something. Yvaine doesn't know what that is yet, but she may be guided towards it if it exists.

Zaer Darkwail

Besides searching for his family and increasing his own arcane power (and perhaps develop custom 'Explosion' spell which will become his immortal trademark for arcane lore), I think besides those pursuits he just enjoys blowing stuff up and thus seeks to get into conflicts where violence is used as solution (like warfare, mercenary work to protect village from monsters etc). Any goals which he have are mostly selfish in nature and can be at times random. He could had gone to Barovia because he heard a rumor they have best boar steak in entire world (and he is coming check it out :P).

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Ysariel on June 18, 2016, 01:17:35 PM
Yvaine's goals are driven by her slightly different take on Shelyn's faith. Most clerics of Shelyn strive to create and glorify beauty through art, music, and performance. Yvaine tries to restore beauty that has already been lost. The wartorn country whose borders overflow with refugees, the cynical and jaded mercenary who no longer believes in true love, a lost book that tells the last stand of a great hero.

She is drawn to try and repair homes and hearts, restore things of ancient wonder, and help give people a second chance that they might flourish. For this reason she explores dark dungeons and fights back the forces of corruption that have overtaken civilization. On a less martial side she also tries to redeem the lost or help people overcome past hurts so that they can live to their full potential again. I know Lydia felt empty for a while after succeeding in her revenge. What would be really cool (if Blinkin's agreeable) is if Yvaine met her sometime during this period and stayed for a while, trying to help her see new purpose in life, whether she was ultimately successful or not.

Things like helping the weak and innocent are extensions of this, although of course as good-aligned softie she feels a duty to help anyway.

It's possible that Yvaine  was saved for this particular purpose. Perhaps the reason fate watches strongly over her because she's destined to join in some great effort to restore... well, something. Yvaine doesn't know what that is yet, but she may be guided towards it if it exists.

Okay, that does work nicely, I like that interpretation of the Shelyn faith. That's good.

Quote from: Changingsaint on June 18, 2016, 01:13:03 PM
Generally I sort of prefer working on bigger motivations once actually in the game, as I find that fits a tad more organically. However, I am more than happy to put him back to the drawing board so to speak and work out a more in depth motivation for him.

No, that should work fine, plenty of work for a hero in Barovia.

By the way, this is the letter that will draw you into the game:

Hail to thee of might and valour my (insert character names),

I, a lowly servant of the township of Barovia, send honour to thee. We plead for thy so desperately needed assistance within our community.

The love of my life, Ireena Kolyana, has been afflicted by an evil so deadly that even the good people of our town cannot protect her. She languishes from her wound and I would have her saved from this menace. But I fear the only cure lies within the dreaded walls of the castle, were none may enter without risking their lives.

There is much wealth in this community. I offer all that might be had to thee and they fellows if thou shalt but answer my desperate plea.

Come quickly, for her time is at hand! All that I have shall be thine!

Kolyan Indirovich
                              Burgomaster of Barovia

Blinkin

Lydia is amenable to an early meeting during her low-point, that might of helped her realize the renewed zest for life that she currently enjoys, so it fits nicely into her history. I would prefer that it not be a one-time, if protracted association; perhaps a deeper friendship that renews on a somewhat regular basis?

I owe Michael's player a PM; I haven't forgotten, Life has just been a little hectic and suddenly my own game has taken on a life of it's own.

And, I know that I owe the game an initiative check too. lol

As for the chaotic bomber.... I really have no idea how they might of met or developed an association in the past; There's not a lot of common ground there as far as I've seen.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Blinkin on June 18, 2016, 02:57:41 PMAs for the chaotic bomber.... I really have no idea how they might of met or developed an association in the past; There's not a lot of common ground there as far as I've seen.

Well, Lydia doesn't need to know everyone in the new group, Bal could be a new edition to the group, tagging along by chance. Or maybe they met before but didn't exchange much words because they were so different.

Blinkin

but... but... but.. Lydia knows everyone! She's Will Rogers on speed, lol
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Sinestra

Alright, will hammer out a gunslinger concept tonight and get something up. Taking dad out for brunch in the morning. Lol
"I don't mind that most fictional women look like they have F cups at minimum. I do, however, mind that their brains aren't nearly as... 'developed'."

Fey

Quote from: Blinkin on June 18, 2016, 02:57:41 PM
Lydia is amenable to an early meeting during her low-point, that might of helped her realize the renewed zest for life that she currently enjoys, so it fits nicely into her history. I would prefer that it not be a one-time, if protracted association; perhaps a deeper friendship that renews on a somewhat regular basis?

That sounds fantastic!

Let me imagine how it happened. She walks into a tavern in a port one day. In the dingy smog from pipes and the fireplace, among the rakes and cutpurses, what catches her attention is the barmaid with eyes that are sad, so sad. Something in those eyes holds her gaze, makes her wonder what could make them so empty of passion and life and joy, a question that distracts her just long enough to walk right into a tavern wench and the dozen tankards of ale she balances on both arms.

She comes back the next day, and the next, finding excuses to talk. And at first she just listens, saying very little. When she does speak it is mostly to ask questions. Lydia, she eventually learns the young woman's name is.

Perhaps she gets asked questions in return. Who are you? I'm a friend of the best goddess ever, she cheekily says. Why do you ask so many questions? I want to know more about you, she innocently says. Why are you such a busybody? Because you look so sad, she blurts out.

She does not ask what happened. Lydia will tell her in good time, if she earns the right to know.

What she does do is try to help the young woman out of her shell. She tells her about the few adventures she's had and the things she's seen, shares the epic poems and songs she heard during her days at the temple. She tries to drag her along to watch the performance of a troupe passing through town on its way across the sea, to go exploring the port city and its many districts. She does so not out of any great wisdom or life experience, for she is too young to have much of either, just a simple faith that there can be joy again after loss, and wildflowers will bloom after the fire, and embracing life does not dishonor the dead.

There's the time when both of them were cornered in an alley by half a dozen thugs looking for easy prey, and staggered out bloodied but alive, fighting back-to-back. There's the time they spent an afternoon exploring the old merchant's quarter and its warren of tiny shops filled with curious wonders from all over the world. She argued heatedly with Lydia over her new boyfriend, and was there to mourn him with her when he was hanged.

Days turn into weeks, and weeks turn into months. And finally there comes a day when she stands at the pier with Lydia, going off on an adventure together. There are no words for how happy she is. It is not the happiness of a job well done, because Lydia did all the the really hard work. It is just the simple joy of seeing a friend you care for living, truly alive, passion and fire in her eyes.

They would part ways from time to time, as the winds of fortune carried them this way and that, but they were always reunited in the end. And when that happened, once again, in the dingy smog from pipes and the fireplace, among the rakes and cutpurses, they would sit together at a table in the amber lantern light. Tell me all about your adventures, she would say with excitement glittering in her eyes, and she would listen, long into the night.

OK, so I got carried away there. Maybe none of that happened. But it's fun to think about how it might have played out. I see Yvaine looking up to the new Lydia in a big sisterly kind of way, since Lydia's the older, wiser, badass one.

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on June 18, 2016, 02:48:51 PM
  By the way, this is the letter that will draw you into the game:

Sounds great! That should get Yvaine to come running.

Blinkin

The story works for me! Carried away or not, it makes for a fun, engaging history and I love that kinda dynamic.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

LisztesFerenc

Okay, I think we have the 3 players for this game. I'm been away in a hotel these past few days, I get back today, so I'll see about sorting out the details then.

Also nice backstory scene Ysariel, it will be good if you know Lydia quite well.

Fey

Thanks, both of you! ;D And have a safe trip home LisztesFerenc. I went and spent a little more of my coin and bought a scroll of Comprehend Language. I promise that's the last change.

I'm so excited I can't wait to get started!

Arklytte

So, out of curiosity, is this game still recruiting?  I'm slowly coming to love Pathfinder and I think wandering around Ravenloft sounds quite fun.

Before I go into too much detail about any ideas I might have, I'll wait to find out about the recruiting status.  :-)